Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 199200201202203 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 19:04
Recently I've been spinning some 12" E.P.'s from the 80's (I don't have many), and I'm very surprised at the sound quality of them, especially when compared to the same songs that appeared on the LP proper. Cutting at 45RPM and spreading 6 or so minutes over the side definitely results in excellent depth, volume and clarity. That, or the time spent remixing and focusing on the given track is worthwhile.
And going on that theory, Soft Machine's 'Third' album would be spread over 14 sides of vinyl ( ) and definitely sound AMAZING !!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 14:13
Kansas reissues like the Rush reissues would be really nice!! I can only imagine the cost of a new press is the barrier..
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 14:05
Will they produce Kansas reissues? Tongue I just read another article about the lack of presses in the world, but somehow 13 presses appear out of the blue LOL It's probably time someone starts thinking about producing some of those Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 09:39
I had read an earlier article about the purchase of these 13 presses, but did not know who bought them. QRP will have them up and running before long and pressing more vinyl for us, amazing that QRP is running 24/7. Everything I have pressed at QRP is very good quality.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 15:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Now you guys have me thinking I have to get this Arena album.....Most of the mastering done across the pond from me is very good!! The cutting and pressing is very nice with really good QC process....

I hate you guys!! LOL (at least my wallet does)
I'm sorry about that LOL
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:10
^I highly recommend that Arena album, It's actually my favorite of theirs.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 11:59
Now you guys have me thinking I have to get this Arena album.....Most of the mastering done across the pond from me is very good!! The cutting and pressing is very nice with really good QC process....

I hate you guys!! LOL (at least my wallet does)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 08:06
^ There's probably no need to have both then, at least for now. Thanks Smile

I read your very positive review, it's pretty good especially sounding like that. The tracks are shorter but I didn't think it is commercial rock. It would be awesome if they would release others on vinyl, but I don't know if that will happen: I bought this one really cheap on the merchandise stand and they had a box full of it. That and the fact they didn't release the new one on vinyl, I think I can assume it wasn't succesful Ermm
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 04:31
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

This could well be their strongest effort. I have
several Omega records, I love this one, as well as Hall Of Floaters In
The Sky, and Nem Tudom A Neved (I don't know your name - I am of
Hungarian background). They lost me a bit with Gammapolis - some nice
things throughout, but more 'arena/mainstream' rock, with some lush
atmospheres.
I'll have to listen to some of their other albums Smile
Do you know if there's a difference between the Hungarian and the
English version of Time Robber, besides the language? I noticed the
Hungarian one was released one year later Ermm

As a kid this album cover kinda freaked me out....With
PG wearing that costume, I always wondered what the music was....Now I
know it is wonderful!
You didn't know ITCOTCK when you were a kid? Tongue I only have Seconds Out, I'll have to get that one someday Smile

My latest two vinyl purchases:

The Arena one is 55 minute album divided between two discs but it doesn't have the large amount of space like The Endless River has. I guess it's because it has a wider groove, it sure sounds great Thumbs Up

I already said a lot about the KC remasters... so did José Tongue
I actually noticed that there's very little difference between the Hungarian and English versions of 'Time Robber'. To be honest, I've never played them back-to-back to fully compare. If there are any differences (apart from the vocals), they would be minor. And I haven't heard them in quite some time.
The Arena LP is quite exceptional sound, very 'big'. Initially, I didn't think too highly of it, too many shorter and 'commercial', or let's say 'direct' tracks, but after a few spins ( at volume), it revealed its power and intensity. Great album. They should 'vinylise' more of their albums .
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 16:31

Ha! I just spun that KC this weekend, these Fripp approved remasters are just fantastic.

If Fripp approve, we have to approve them as well LOL

You make a good point about volume per side on vinyl these days. 

Sure that portions of a vinyl may need to have narrower grooves due to low bass sounds or even high frequency sounds like cymbal crashes and such, but this only happens briefly and the groove can then return to a wider pattern. I don't have any vinyl where I hear that the low end has suffered because of this when I have compared the same to a CD which has no limitations apparently, actually I tend to find the CD to be thinner sounding, if that makes any sense.
I think my longest 1 side vinyl is either Tubular Bells or Thick As A Brick, neither I feel suffers from any lack of low end. So I am fine when these new albums only have 15-20 minutes per side, seems to me that is more than enough room to fit what we need to hear on vinyl.
And lets not forget Suppers Ready, which is brilliant sounding on vinyl........

I know there are many classical albums with 30+ min per side and even Klaus Schulze had some 31+ sides.....Everything I have read people claim they sound excellent with no inner groove distortion, which can be a problem on these long sides. 

Who pressed the Arena album?
I think it has better quality than the Floyd album, but I guess there are a lot of variables to consider on vinyl quality. The first track starts with vocals only with barely no noise, it sounded like he was singing right in front of me. Then the whole band enters like an explosion, a really big sound without any  distortion. I was hooked right from the start Big smile

I'll let you know when I get some Schulze albums on vinyl Tongue

The LP says it was mastered by Optimum Mastering. They talk about vinyl pressing on their website, so it was probably pressed by them Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 09:48

This could well be their strongest effort. I have several Omega records, I love this one, as well as Hall Of Floaters In The Sky, and Nem Tudom A Neved (I don't know your name - I am of Hungarian background). They lost me a bit with Gammapolis - some nice things throughout, but more 'arena/mainstream' rock, with some lush atmospheres.
I'll have to listen to some of their other albums Smile Do you know if there's a difference between the Hungarian and the English version of Time Robber, besides the language? I noticed the Hungarian one was released one year later Ermm

As a kid this album cover kinda freaked me out....With PG wearing that costume, I always wondered what the music was....Now I know it is wonderful!
You didn't know ITCOTCK when you were a kid? Tongue I only have Seconds Out, I'll have to get that one someday Smile

The Arena one is 55 minute album divided between two discs but it doesn't have the large amount of space like The Endless River has. I guess it's because it has a wider groove, it sure sounds great Thumbs Up

Ha! I just spun that KC this weekend, these Fripp approved remasters are just fantastic. You make a good point about volume per side on vinyl these days. 

Sure that portions of a vinyl may need to have narrower grooves due to low bass sounds or even high frequency sounds like cymbal crashes and such, but this only happens briefly and the groove can then return to a wider pattern. I don't have any vinyl where I hear that the low end has suffered because of this when I have compared the same to a CD which has no limitations apparently, actually I tend to find the CD to be thinner sounding, if that makes any sense.
I think my longest 1 side vinyl is either Tubular Bells or Thick As A Brick, neither I feel suffers from any lack of low end. So I am fine when these new albums only have 15-20 minutes per side, seems to me that is more than enough room to fit what we need to hear on vinyl.
And lets not forget Suppers Ready, which is brilliant sounding on vinyl........

I know there are many classical albums with 30+ min per side and even Klaus Schulze had some 31+ sides.....Everything I have read people claim they sound excellent with no inner groove distortion, which can be a problem on these long sides. 

Who pressed the Arena album?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 20:35
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ You are still misunderstanding Sonia's observation. 

A 2nd party explanation is the issue, let her explain it then. Cause her only comment is that she feels that if digital is the base recording then the argument of what is better is futile in recent recordings.

If that is her belief then so be it....I have ZERO issue with that feeling. Seems everyone was so gung-ho to explaining what she was saying.....

"Yes I understand that, but if the initial studio recording is digital, in this case specific case Confused in terms of recent releases makes the argument of being best quite futile".

You might be right that I don't understand what she is saying, told by others...
You are being very snotty and it's is very silly, don't you see this, Catcher10? P.S. If you want to miss quote me please post everything, this is not nice what you are trying to imply of me.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 20:26

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ You are still misunderstanding Sonia's observation. 

A 2nd party explanation is the issue, let her explain it then. Cause her only comment is that she feels that if digital is the base recording then the argument of what is better is futile in recent recordings.

If that is her belief then so be it....I have ZERO issue with that feeling. Seems everyone was so gung-ho to explaining what she was saying.....

"Yes I understand that, but if the initial studio recording is digital, in this case specific case Confused in terms of recent releases makes the argument of being best quite futile".

You might be right that I don't understand what she is saying, told by others...
You are being very snotty and it's is very silly, don't you see this, Catcher10?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 18:25

This could well be their strongest effort. I have several Omega records, I love this one, as well as Hall Of Floaters In The Sky, and Nem Tudom A Neved (I don't know your name - I am of Hungarian background). They lost me a bit with Gammapolis - some nice things throughout, but more 'arena/mainstream' rock, with some lush atmospheres.
I'll have to listen to some of their other albums Smile Do you know if there's a difference between the Hungarian and the English version of Time Robber, besides the language? I noticed the Hungarian one was released one year later Ermm

As a kid this album cover kinda freaked me out....With PG wearing that costume, I always wondered what the music was....Now I know it is wonderful!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 12:58

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 23:03
Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

What's the stupidest/most inaccurate grading you've seen a store give to their records? I was at half priced books today and I picked up an original Led Zeppelin 3 (among other things) for 15 bucks. I'm listening to it now; it's fairly noisy but plays through. But on the sticker where they put it's condition it says "price reflects condition." Like, what the f**k am I supposed to take from that? Either grade it or don't. I'm not mad or anything, I'm happy with the purchase, just find it confusing.

I use my eyes.....Inspect the vinyl as best I can. Most of the record stores I go to also have TT to test drive the vinyl before purchase. The cartridge is usually a very low quality one and not in best shape, so if it plays ok I know should be pretty good once I get it home and give it a good scrubbing.

Grading would be very subjective in my mind. Glad you enjoy the purchase though!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 19:29

I can imagine the strange beginning of X-1 and then the bass and drums
groovy intro in analog perfection taking my mind elsewhere. I have goose
bumps already Big smile

I listened to the Omega album yesterday and it was better than I remembered. It has great guitar work, lots of synths, delayed vocals and clear influences from Eloy (even the accented vocals are an acquired taste LOL), Nektar and Pink Floyd. My problem with it is one of the tracks from side B, that sounds like some kind of Space Punk, forgetable and completely out of context, and also that the first track is the best one Tongue The last track is pretty good too though Smile

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 19:24
Usually it's just that - price reflects condition. I used to regularly haunt this chain of 2nd Hand record shops which employed a strict code-of-practice by having a grading system utilising little stickers in the top right corners of the LP cover - a gold star meant 'mint', silver star meant 'near mint', maybe odd visible scuffs etc. Then green dot was a notch below that. Yellow dot worse again. Then orange. Then blue. They also had inter-grading by placing a little 'minus' on the tiny sticker. Very pedantic, but reliable.
Otherwise, some folks at record fairs overgrade their stock - so many times their 'near mint' was a yellow dot quality. Some 'idiots' even over-price scratched records - their excuse being 'it's rare'. I don't care how rare a record is, if it's scratched, it should be minimal price
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 18:32

What's the stupidest/most inaccurate grading you've seen a store give to their records? I was at half priced books today and I picked up an original Led Zeppelin 3 (among other things) for 15 bucks. I'm listening to it now; it's fairly noisy but plays through. But on the sticker where they put it's condition it says "price reflects condition." Like, what the f**k am I supposed to take from that? Either grade it or don't. I'm not mad or anything, I'm happy with the purchase, just find it confusing.

Edited by Ozark Soundscape - April 25 2015 at 18:34
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 17:39
I can imagine the strange beginning of X-1 and then the bass and drums groovy intro in analog perfection taking my mind elsewhere. I have goose bumps already Big smile

I listened to the Omega album yesterday and it was better than I remembered. It has great guitar work, lots of synths, delayed vocals and clear influences from Eloy (even the accented vocals are an acquired taste LOL), Nektar and Pink Floyd. My problem with it is one of the tracks from side B, that sounds like some kind of Space Punk, forgetable and completely out of context, and also that the first track is the best one Tongue The last track is pretty good too though Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 199200201202203 312>