Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 10:28
I'm familiar with the term 'boot' so that name makes sense to me.
Yard Sales or Garage sales were also very common here in Southern Cal before the individual cities started limiting them. You would occasionally come across that illusive box of LPs that someone was getting rid of
because they had switched over to 8 tracks or cassettes.
But those days are even gone now and the thrift stores only have things that I wouldn't pay a dollar for.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 10:10
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

The term flea market isn't often used around here but not long ago swap meets were very common.
They were held every weekend at drive-in theaters and were very popular from the sixties through the 
eighties. 
You would always find a few sellers that had a couple of boxes of albums and I found many things for a dollar or two.
But one by one the drive-ins were torn down because people got tired of sitting in their cars and watching two movies in a row.

in the uk I think they call them 'boot sales'  - suggesting that they are selling items out of the boot (trunk) of their cars
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 10:04
The term flea market isn't often used around here but not long ago swap meets were very common.
They were held every weekend at drive-in theaters and were very popular from the sixties through the 
eighties. 
You would always find a few sellers that had a couple of boxes of albums and I found many things for a dollar or two.
But one by one the drive-ins were torn down because people got tired of sitting in their cars and watching two movies in a row.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 06:48
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Antique fair is a politically correct expression for "flea market"? 

is Flea Market politically incorrect?
I though that it was a description of the size (a la 'flea circus')
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 05:38
^ It's the literal translation of the Portugal's Portuguese term. Only the Brazilians use the expression"flea market": "mercado das pulgas" Tongue We also use the informal expression "feira da ladra" which is the most important flea market in Lisbon.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 05:27
Originally posted by Meldowner Meldowner wrote:

So 2000 is the magic number? Tongue I listen to an average of 4-5 albums a day although vinyl is by far not what I listen most, I won't bring my TT to work LOL 

For me, the magic number is 300 or thereabouts.. that's how many albums I can "have a meaningful relationship with" .. does it make my polyvinylous? Collecting music is very different from musicking, though.  

Some people do bring their players all kinds of places:

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/take-me-for-a-spin-the-8-best-portable-record-players-around/

Originally posted by Meldowner Meldowner wrote:

I found something interesting too, a list of all antique fairs of the country. There are six fairs half an hour away from me every month and I didn't know about any... I guess I'll be browsing on a lot of vinyl crates now Smile 
Antique fair is a politically correct expression for "flea market"? 
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 01:30
I suspect that around the 2000 mark, LP'S would become overwhelming. Not quite there yet, but I'm feeling it.....
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 19:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ These people that have massive collections, like 4 house walls worth has to number in the 10K range.....I can only imagine they stopped enjoying spinning vinyl once they got past like 2,000 albums. I mean you would have to play 5-6 albums a day for 1 year straight to hear them all once.
5 hours a day is 1,825 hours in 1 year...You would go thru 2 cartridges a year.

All that sounds like too much work......Sometimes I just want to spin 1 album, other times 5-6. I'd rather not let my collection rule me.
This guy was not your average record collector. He was at least in his mid seventies and had been collecting 
anything vinyl for over fifty years. All types, all genres, 78s to children's records. spoken word, etc. etc.
He collected vinyl the way some people collect shot glasses or ceramic figurines.
The point of the TV segment was that this guy spent his entire adult life collecting something that he now 
cannot sell.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 17:08
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I found this hidden in a Québec Country Store. The first Gentle Giant vinyl I've come to own for $15.00.
Great find! Clap

^ These people that have massive collections, like 4 house walls worth has to number in the 10K range.....I can only imagine they stopped enjoying spinning vinyl once they got past like 2,000 albums. I mean you would have to play 5-6 albums a day for 1 year straight to hear them all once.

All that sounds like too much work......Sometimes I just want to spin 1 album, other times 5-6. I'd rather not let my collection rule me.
So 2000 is the magic number? Tongue I listen to an average of 4-5 albums a day although vinyl is by far not what I listen most, I won't bring my TT to work LOL

Had a day off at work yesterday and spun some vinyls: the first I ever bought, Absolutely Live from The Doors which is certainly not their best live album but I listened to it many times Big smile Also listened to Monk's Dream: I don't know if it's only from the new DMM remaster, but I can easily listen to Monk singing whatever he plays on the piano, so weird Tongue
I found something interesting too, a list of all antique fairs of the country. There are six fairs half an hour away from me every month and I didn't know about any... I guess I'll be browsing on a lot of vinyl crates now Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 16:04

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 12:03

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Well, you tried... Good to know that there are so many people interested on vinyl though Smile

Yes but she will get ripped off...the vultures were hoping she would do this....ohh well.
Lump sum can sometimes be a difficult way to go for the seller.
I recently saw a segment on TV about a man (who appeared to be in his seventies) who had accumulated 
a massive vinyl collection over the years and wanted to finally sell it off. His room full of vinyl (all types) was
bigger than my den.
The main point of the segment was the difficulty he was having trying to sell it all at once. He said that the size of his collection was more than most collectors wanted to take on and the few that were interested wanted to
pay a fraction of it's worth.
He said the task of breaking the collection down into easier groups to sell would be impossible for him so he
was basically stuck trying to find a lump sum buyer.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 10:33

I found this hidden in a Québec Country Store. The first Gentle Giant vinyl I've come to own for $15.00.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 16:14
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Well, you tried... Good to know that there are so many people interested on vinyl though Smile

Yes but she will get ripped off...the vultures were hoping she would do this....ohh well.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 16:12
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 16:05

Michael Fremer did an article on this daughter's father's vinyl collection.....I believe it numbers in the 5,000 range. In this link is a link to the article he did, she called him asking for his help to catalog her dad's collection. It is now online and available for bid.......

Problem is there are no notations about grade, deadwax info and such........

Email I just received from this man's daughter, I am not surprised at her decision right now, I know they were slammed with emails and offers for small to medium size lots of vinyl. I offered to buy like 20 or so at like $80 site unseen, some good titles she had and going by what Fremer said most were in VG to mint condition...but still, I can't look at them.

We must apologize…
With the deluge of album requests (many with 50+ piece inquiries) we were quickly brought to the sobering conclusion that it would be an impossible task to sell in the manner (of our own devise).  
Upon initial attempt we realized the immense amount of time it would take to locate, examine, price, negotiate, etc. and that it was time we cannot afford.
Burdened by the fact we got in over our heads we feel embarrassed and apologize for the fiasco.
We are going to try our hand at selling the collection as a whole. 
If this attempt comes without success then we will begin placing albums and combinations up for auction on eBay. 

We will post updates on the progress of both on the website.
Thank you for your patience and hopefuly your understanding.

This was not a fun email to write :(

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 21:42

Queen is not prog, more artsy rock opera style. The songs are well done, but other than their radio hits are not known for other songs. Mercury has the best voice in rock still to this day.... 
Exactly, and precisely. I believe between Mercury and May they could have powered an exceptional prog band, but they, apparently, weren't interested. Mercury had incredible talent and vision, but he got his kicks out of emotional extravaganza and brash bravado, not so much out of quality music. Luckily, once in a while Freddy And His Fellas felt like making a quality piece for a change, and those are nothing short of fantastic, including the lyrics that are quite on par with Roger Waters. I would venture to say that one can put together one or two kick-@$$ compilation album(s) of purest prog from Queen's discography. 
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 20:14
Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 19:07
Yeah, it's one of those strange cases where the radio hits are the best songs. I also like Killer Queen, it's a nice tune.
I prefer most of the other Top Prog Related bands though: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Iron Maiden. I can listen to many of their albums easily... I haven't played some Sabbath in a while though Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 18:59
Queen is not prog, more artsy rock opera style. The songs are well done, but other than their radio hits are not known for other songs.
Mercury has the best voice in rock still to this day....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 18:52
I never listened to it, I stopped at A Night at the Opera, which I have on CD. I relistened that one last year and it still bored me so much... except for Bohemian Rhapsody Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 312>