Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 19:56
That album seems like a nice experience José, I'm very curious to hear Smile

I never listened to Lifesigns, I only know Beggs' work with Steven Wilson, which I really like. I'll have to check it out Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 19:44
Beggs is one of many of the 80's 'New-Wavers' that has come a long way musically. Mastelotto is another that springs to mind.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 19:37
^ I have the CD...Lifesigns is very good stuff! Love Beggs
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 18:17
^ Sounds Like you scored another winner !! Steve Swallow is an amazing bassist.
Guys, you've got to get a hold of the debut album by LIFESIGNS. This album has floored me completely. Nick Beggs is the bass/Chapman Stick player here, and what a performance . Top-shelf Prog, no doubt.
5 long tracks (8-13 min.). Really tasteful, all the way. There's plenty of great stuff out there, and this is a cut above most of it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 17:39
Read a review on this album few weeks ago and decided to get it, came in the mail today. In advance of my thoughts, I have played this 2-LP album 3x already....so.

Three pc jazz group, some of these guys have recorded with John Zorn, B52s, Beastie Boys..more avant garde jazz flavor.

What caught me was the album was miked and recorded live direct to 2 track analog tape, 1/2" Ampex tape. No EQ, no compression and a little reverb, and no post production effects. Then this original tape was mastered by Masterdisk straight to lacquer cutting for vinyl, 180 gram.

The first notes just kick your a$$.....You can sense, feel the drumming and how the kick was miked, the piano is clean with a sustain that never ends. The bass playing, amazing so deep and full of life each note is in your face while sitting to the left of the other two.

It does not get any better than this.

Rare Noise Records RNR 4011 2

Here also is a video showing part of the cutting session of this album, full analog, no computers....Brilliant!

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 13:06
^^ Great find, especially since you weren't looking for them. Sometime good things just happen.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 12:53
this isn't vinyl - it's CD but i have to share ...

Went to this amazing local thrift shop to buy stuff for the house. I rarely give more than a passing glance to the CD section because although they are only 25 cents each - it's always nothing but crap.
Today - i found 6 peter gabriel CDs plus a mike and the mechanics i've never seen before (word of mouth)

There was a lot of other cool stuff too ... i bought 61 all told. For a little over $15
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 18:31

Great album, amazing musicianship, a warm Brazilian breeze on a winter night Approve
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 17:15
^ From what I saw on Discogs and Ebay, Plantasia seems to be one of the rarest albums from him. You can probably find at a flea where you live, but that's impossible here: damn, I was happy just to find a copy of Kansas' Point of Known Return around here Tongue

It's certainly not a masterpiece but I really connect with the album, I must have been a plant on another life LOL
I never understood why many people say "undemanding" about electronic music, like it's a bad thing: I like both undemanding and demanding side of electronic, each in a very different way Ermm

I listened to Wozard of Iz this week, it's good, but not 50 bucks good, too many dialogs not enough music Confused

jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksiedanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 10:05
I don't believe Mort's "Plantasia" lp is THAT rare.
Think I saw a copy at  a flea. (Unless I'm mixing this up with another "plantmusic" lp you see now & then.)

Is it any good? I never looked into it, afterall how interesting/demanding  can music that sets out to appease the dummy brainwaves of a plant...actually be.

The best Garson is the dark, errie "Ataraxia".  I think its better than that "Lucifer" record. Good luck finding a copy in the wild.
"Z" is more of the same.

"Wozard of Iz" is an absolute must. (If you don't mind some camp.) This is easily a 50 buck lp. I have a trade copy if your interested.

Wallace wans KID BALTAN (Raaijmakers) AND DISSEVELT lp in exchange.
jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksiedanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 09:45
"Gloat on.
 Give your gloats to somebody
 Sooooooon, right away......right away."
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 09:31
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'm still continuing my listening-fest - it probably comes across as me gloating - I don't mean to be, but naturally I'm very excited.
One thing I can say - Pendragon's Nick Barrett, has a way of composing these amazingly profound instrument segments, rivalling most of our favourites, but then seems to spoil it by singing basic verse/chorus things (IMHO, they are alright, but not quite right...........) - you'd think after at least 9 albums he'd iron out the creases........
Anyway, he is a fantastic guitar player, his fellow band-members skillful, but just as I'm transported to a euphoric state-of-bliss, there's a Cockney verse/chorus section in a bog-standard key/riff, and all is lost.......I do still rate them highly, but..............

Gloating is perfectly fine, as long as you post pics of your listening experience!
Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 07:55
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have several on CD and a few on vinyl....My wife bought me the "car" album a few months ago at a rummage sale for $1 and it cleaned up nicely and plays very well.

I really wish Genesis would get back together for a tour.....Cry
$1 for a car in good condition? That must be a record LOL Nice find Smile

It would probably not be at all the experience of a true Genesis concert Ermm
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That's me if I ever get a copy of Mort Garson's Plantasia or Ascenção e Queda from Petrus Castrus... Youtube is a good friend though Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 00:48
I'm still continuing my listening-fest - it probably comes across as me gloating - I don't mean to be, but naturally I'm very excited.
One thing I can say - Pendragon's Nick Barrett, has a way of composing these amazingly profound instrument segments, rivalling most of our favourites, but then seems to spoil it by singing basic verse/chorus things (IMHO, they are alright, but not quite right...........) - you'd think after at least 9 albums he'd iron out the creases........
Anyway, he is a fantastic guitar player, his fellow band-members skillful, but just as I'm transported to a euphoric state-of-bliss, there's a Cockney verse/chorus section in a bog-standard key/riff, and all is lost.......I do still rate them highly, but..............
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 19:41
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^ what's mind blowing is taking that lovely 180 gram vinyl record and pairing it with a warm tube amplifier and high end headphones or loud speakers. Jesus Mary. .

Glad to hear from you Vinyl junkies

LOLLOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 19:27
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Yeah, it feels closer to the heart Wink Necromancer is a really good track. The Jazz LP's I got also are " DMM process and remastering from analog tapes" according to the cover and sound really nice, althought it's not the best kind of music to listen with headphones IMO, but I still don't have the stands for the speakers, so it still sounds like s**t Tongue

I never listened much to Peter Gabriel's solo music, I'll have to do a PG marathon someday Smile

I have several on CD and a few on vinyl....My wife bought me the "car" album a few months ago at a rummage sale for $1 and it cleaned up nicely and plays very well.

I really wish Genesis would get back together for a tour.....Cry
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 19:03
^ that is something you and I both must do. I as well haven't ventured much into PG's solo career.

I lived his new blood album. Man, the warmth of the strings on that recording. Bone shivers just thinking about it.

You gotta hear Wallflower.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 18:13
^ Yeah, it feels closer to the heart Wink Necromancer is a really good track. The Jazz LP's I got also are " DMM process and remastering from analog tapes" according to the cover and sound really nice, althought it's not the best kind of music to listen with headphones IMO, but I still don't have the stands for the speakers, so it still sounds like s**t Tongue

I never listened much to Peter Gabriel's solo music, I'll have to do a PG marathon someday Smile
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 18:07
^ what's mind blowing is taking that lovely 180 gram vinyl record and pairing it with a warm tube amplifier and high end headphones or loud speakers. Jesus Mary. .

Glad to hear from you Vinyl junkies

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 17:32
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

The SQ of the Fly by Night remaster is really amazing, there's absolutely no surface noise and Neil's drums sound so energic, I just couldn't stop toe-tapping almost the whole album. Rivendell sounds also good, I didn't like it until now: so warm; and listening with the headphones was like Geddy was whispering in my left ear Tongue
I find interesting how vinyl sounds so good even without spending a lot on gear, compared with digital music. I once heard some Peter Gabriel music on a 2000€ vinyl setup some years ago (I didn't even know who he was back then, or what LP it was) and it was mind-blowing experience though Shocked

Hi Sam,
Yes it is riveting the SQ....It is the DMM process and remastering from analog tapes gives that nice sound we like. I can't wait for CoS and hearing Fountain of Lamneth and The Necromancer, those pcs will take us to worlds we thought we knew...

Peter Gabriel's So on vinyl is brilliant, it is one of my better sounding CDs too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 312>