Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 04:51
Transatlantic = 3 LP sets - a dbl g/f (album proper) and single sleeve LP (bonus material) in beautiful slip-sleeves.
Yes' 'Magnification' LP is a dbl on purple vinyl occupying 3 of the 4 sides.
Prog on vinyl is awesome
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 08:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

What do they do in the vinyl versions of the many recent albums which last 70 or 80 minutes? does new vinyl have longer playing duration that the typical 55 or so minutes? do they have to release them as double LPs? or do they ommit tracks? 

Dbl LP issues. For example Porcupine Tree FoABP is a dbl LP and includes the Nil Recurring tracks. Marillion's Marbles is a dbl LP. All DT vinyl I have is 2-LP issues.

Yup. Scenes of a memory is a double LP as well. I guess anything over the 50min mark you have to do this? Really haven't looked into it, but I shall. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 08:19
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Transatlantic = 3 LP sets - a dbl g/f (album proper) and single sleeve LP (bonus material) in beautiful slip-sleeves.
Prog on vinyl is awesome

That does sound great. Great asthetics like quality artwork and packaging can go a long way and it is definitely a part of the music listening experience....at least for me. ;)
Glad to hear your happy, Tom.
Prog on. :)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 09:01
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

What do they do in the vinyl versions of the many recent albums which last 70 or 80 minutes? does new vinyl have longer playing duration that the typical 55 or so minutes? do they have to release them as double LPs? or do they ommit tracks? 

Dbl LP issues. For example Porcupine Tree FoABP is a dbl LP and includes the Nil Recurring tracks. Marillion's Marbles is a dbl LP. All DT vinyl I have is 2-LP issues.

Yup. Scenes of a memory is a double LP as well. I guess anything over the 50min mark you have to do this? Really haven't looked into it, but I shall. :)
To get longer playing times on a side of vinyl they have to make the grooves narrower so they can be packed closer together. There are three ways of doing this, the first is simply to reduced the peak volume level recorded onto the platter, which means the playback will be very quiet and that affects the signal to noise ratio because the noise remains the same but the signal is now reduced - basically you'll hear the surface noise a lot more if they did that. The second way is to apply a lot of compression to the recording to boost the quiet bits so they are not affected by the noise so much, you still get a  quieter playback but at least the noise isn't so bad - but over-compression is over-compression no matter what the recording medium is. The third way is to use combination of filters and EQ to reduce the percussive and other spiky sounds in the recording that result in big excursions in the grooves. In practice mastering engineers use a combination of all three to squeeze more time out of a 12" platter, as a result they sound awful:

It may have lasted a hour, but the compression was so bad it sounded truly dreadful.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 09:50
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

To get longer playing times on a side of vinyl they have to make the grooves narrower so they can be packed closer together. There are three ways of doing this, the first is simply to reduced the peak volume level recorded onto the platter, which means the playback will be very quiet and that affects the signal to noise ratio because the noise remains the same but the signal is now reduced - basically you'll hear the surface noise a lot more if they did that. The second way is to apply a lot of compression to the recording to boost the quiet bits so they are not affected by the noise so much, you still get a  quieter playback but at least the noise isn't so bad - but over-compression is over-compression no matter what the recording medium is. The third way is to use combination of filters and EQ to reduce the percussive and other spiky sounds in the recording that result in big excursions in the grooves. In practice mastering engineers use a combination of all three to squeeze more time out of a 12" platter, as a result they sound awful:
It may have lasted a hour, but the compression was so bad it sounded truly dreadful.

Of course. All be it its about The compression rate. Oh I see. Many thanks, Mr. Cracknell. Much appreciated. Now I don't have to look it up. What you said seems logical.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 19:59

Prog on vinyl is awesome

You are so right!! The new Transatlantic will also be a 3-LP set and I think on green vinyl. LTE II is a very cool blue/green splatter pattern.
Marillion Radiation 2013 is a nice deep blue, with the 4th side an etching pattern...made to look like a radiation sign Nuke

All dbl gatefold with liner notes on the sleeves...super cool.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:03
^ Oh man - I don't have Radiation yet, nor the LTE II (their 1st is nice with the 1 mauve/1 green dbl LP. I usually wait for a list from Greg at Syn-Phonic, and then make my choice. He doesn't get every Prog vinyl though. He never got the Flying Colors in either. Or Diagonal's sophomore release.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:07

Prog on vinyl is awesome

You are so right!! The new Transatlantic will also be a 3-LP set and I think on green vinyl. LTE II is a very cool blue/green splatter pattern.
Marillion Radiation 2013 is a nice deep blue, with the 4th side an etching pattern...made to look like a radiation sign Nuke

All dbl gatefold with liner notes on the sleeves...super cool.
You know, at the end of the day, it's really difficult to describe to the 'masses' of the love of vinyl LP's. CD's just seem so........cheap. I dunno. I grew up with vinyl and I wasn't going to stop with the advent of CD's which came in big-time in the early 90's (rare before then). As I said, vinyl all the way.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:16
I have been looking for LTE I, no luck Cry.......Did Flying Colors come out on vinyl?? How did I miss that...Last night (I think) I posted LTE II on "What Are You Listening...", so you can see the splatter vinyl.

Talking about Marillion.....the new remix of Brave from last year on vinyl is a remake of the original, with the dbl groove ending and all. And OMG the sound is brilliant, they really did a fantastic job on the remix. The sleeves are plain, the gatefold has all the lyrics.....sweet package.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:34
Are you familiar with 'Syn Phonic' ?? I think he (Greg) still has LTE available. Just type in syn phonic and you will get to his catalogs. I have seen sellers on E-Bay with Flying Colors available on vinyl.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:44
^ I have looked in the past, will again. Someone else told me about him once.....Friday I ordered Riverside~New Generation and the new Flower Kings on vinyl. Black Friday specials both for $12ea shipped......wayyy too cheap.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 17:23
The new Riverside album is very nicely done, and side 4 contains 2 lengthy pieces - 'Night Session' (1 and 2). Fully instrumental, and a bit different from the album itself, though with same instrumentation and sound etc. Loooove the Wurlitzer e-piano sound he's got (real or sampled ??). Great band, every album is superb (and I'm not usually into all the fancy 'metal' sounding bands, just very selective).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 17:31
I also want to get the other Riverside vinyl.....so much on my "to get" list!!

Cheers Tom!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 16:16
Does anyone remember Todd Rundgren crammed 68+ minutes onto a single LP ?? It doesn't have a bad sound to be honest, probably lacking in depth but still an enjoyable album.
Oh, that's 'Initiation', btw.

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 05 2013 at 16:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 19:22

Does anyone remember Todd Rundgren crammed 68+ minutes onto a single LP ?? It doesn't have a bad sound to be honest, probably lacking in depth but still an enjoyable album.
Oh, that's 'Initiation', btw.

I am not a Rundgren listener..but might get this album just to hear the results, if I can find it at the record store.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 19:31
^ I don't think this one's too difficult to get a hold of, just make sure it's in excellent condition, coz something like a millimetre scratch could click for ages
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 19:50
10-4....will look. The cartridge I use is pretty darn good at tracking bad vinyl. There is some old vinyl that used to skip in spots when I was a teenager played on a Dual table with a Shure cartridge....Those same records don't skip now, occasionally I hear a "tick" but nothing that disturbs the listening pleasure....or maybe the scratch just went away!! LOL
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 20:31
I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 20:58
^ Oh, ye Monty Python addict !!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 21:04

10-4....will look. The cartridge I use is pretty darn good at tracking bad vinyl. There is some old vinyl that used to skip in spots when I was a teenager played on a Dual table with a Shure cartridge....Those same records don't skip now, occasionally I hear a "tick" but nothing that disturbs the listening pleasure....or maybe the scratch just went away!! LOL
Funny you mention that - I've experienced this by just replacing the stylus. My TT is not high-end, a bit basic, but it's pretty darn good. I find that mostly it's the occasional Picture Disc (or vinyl Bootleg ) that has an odd skip. These are usually rare and hard to come by so I just accept it    .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 312>