Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2013 at 01:36
^ Soft Machine 4 - textured !! Nice, very nice. Mine is just in a standard finish (U.K. CBS yellow/orange label). Still sounds great - 'Teeth' is just plain insane !!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2013 at 10:20
You can see some of it here in my pic....its more noticeable on the back. Mine is US version Columbia Records red label #C30754

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2013 at 13:46
I can see your stylus is on 'Teeth'
Once upon a time (20-odd years ago), I never went for 'Fourth' - it sounded too 'clinical', difficult and overly complex - now I just indulge in it. 'Teeth' is definitely one of the band's best pieces.
You know their next 'Fifth' album has 2 versions of the cover - one with a black '5' on a black background (making it hard to see) and one with a grey '5' on black. The black on black suits the music here. Which brings me to recall when I acquired this album - In a nutshell, this was the only SM LP I was missing for years (discounting some live things that have been released since) and one day at a record fair I just went up to a random stall which had a few crates ditched in the corner, held my breath, and wished for SM '5' - low and behold - there was a copy about half-way in !! This also happened when I came across the Dead's 'Anthem Of The Sun'.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2013 at 14:10
Ha! Good eyes......Everything starts with the Teeth. I have been searching for Third and Fifth, I have the record store owners on the look out. Right now all I find is Soft Machine, Bundles and a couple live albums on clear vinyl....they look like bootlegs, which is fine but the owner wants like $35 for them.
There are no record fairs here in Seattle, I have not seen any Cry....California has them all the time and big ones.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 20:26
Ratledge is OUT-BLOODY-RAGEOUS when in full flight
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 00:53
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Ratledge is OUT-BLOODY-RAGEOUS when in full flight

That would be correct.....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 04:48
How can soloing for the length of time that he does, be humanly possible ?? (well, he did it, so it is, but you know what I'm getting at...). Some of these Canterbury keyboardists whip the 'giants'......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 16:47
Its Canterbury magic dust that helps them!!
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 05:28
Speaking of The Soft Machine I am currently playing the debut album which I picked up about 1972 and believe to be quite rare now in this version. It is the G/F on Probe with moving circular inset. I also have a copy from the Netherlands with a completely different sleeve and I remember regularlyseeing a French version which was the most common in the UK.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 05:38
^ Excellent !! Looks in beautiful condition - definitely a collectors item - oh, great music too !!
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 08:53
Vinyl belongs to my musical past: I bought about 150 discs of hard-rock in the 80's.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 13:47
.....Hmmm, there's that attractive green cover to 'Ride The Lightning'......(looks more 'Prog' in green )
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 13:48
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Speaking of The Soft Machine I am currently playing the debut album which I picked up about 1972 and believe to be quite rare now in this version. It is the G/F on Probe with moving circular inset. I also have a copy from the Netherlands with a completely different sleeve and I remember regularlyseeing a French version which was the most common in the UK.

Nice copy.....this one I see as a re-issue in stores. Would like to find an original copy here in the US...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 23:39
Highly recommended if you like Riverside......Excellent SQ, mix is fantastic.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 00:12
^ Waddya think of side 4 - 'Night Sessions' ?? Love that Wurlitzer E-Piano sound........
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 01:10
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Vinyl belongs to my musical past: I bought about 150 discs of hard-rock in the 80's.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 13:11

^ Waddya think of side 4 - 'Night Sessions' ?? Love that Wurlitzer E-Piano sound........

I like part 2 best......The sax and yea that piano sound is really nice too.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 15:56
These articles are becoming very popular to write. This is another area of growth......Big smile
I wish vinyl would die again so I could buy all that I want for cheap and listen in peace......LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 00:52
^ Nice read there, Jose. Of course it's something we knew all along, wouldn't change it for the world.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 02:40

.....Hmmm, there's that attractive green cover to 'Ride The Lightning'......(looks more 'Prog' in green )

The green cover of Ride The Lightning was an error of the french label Bernett Records. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 312>