Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 05:49
Tracking my parcel and should be here tomorrow (fingers crossed) -,
In the meantime I'm spinning the Live Styx dbl LP - and a few others -
And catching up on various Zeuhl vinyls........
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 07:31
I looked through my vinyl doubles ..

there are multiple copies of the most popular supertramp albums
a copy of In the court of the crimson king that looks like it was used as a skipping stone - on a road.
several copies of Fleetwood mac rumors ..
tons of misc stuff ..

I feel a bit iffy sending these to anyone - even for free. not sure they're worth the price of the postage because of the condition of the ones I've checked so far.

If anyone is still interested I can take a few photos .. there are 3 good sized boxes packed with albums.
I wont get rid of them - i'll stow them away in the basement .. so there is no time limit on the offer ...
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 09:10
^ Super offer Walton!! I may have interest but yea the condition may be a turn off......Nothing against getting something for free, it has to do with playing a beat up vinyl on my TT with my cartridge. If I had a tonearm with removable head would be easier to swap out for one of my lower end carts. But it is a PITA to swap out carts on my tonearm.......
You can PM me a list and we can go from there..

Thanks!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 09:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Super offer Walton!! I may have interest but yea the condition may be a turn off......Nothing against getting something for free, it has to do with playing a beat up vinyl on my TT with my cartridge. If I had a tonearm with removable head would be easier to swap out for one of my lower end carts. But it is a PITA to swap out carts on my tonearm.......
You can PM me a list and we can go from there..

Thanks!

i got doubles from friends who dumped their collections on me when i was the only one still holding onto vinyl, and i cant believe the condition of a lot of them. The only reason i didn't throw them away - is that i seem to be unable to throw vinyl away!

I'll pm a list over the weekend if i get the chance - noting the condition ... i'll eliminate anything that's visually bad right off the top.
(the heartbreaker is all the old original beatles releases that are just a mess - cool for the covers i guess)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 09:27
I don't like the Beatles, so don't worry about those for me.......I would keep them only for the covers as those have value, or just frame them and hang on your music room wall.

No rush on list and pics, take your time.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 10:09
4 more... 3 to go to complete Bowie 1969-1980.

Edited by Angelo - February 05 2015 at 10:10
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 10:37
^ I never got into his music...but man what a musical genius.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 10:46
I didn't get into Bowie as far as buying his albums but he did have several songs that I liked.
Young Americans, Modern Love and Heroes to name a few.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 10:59
I love bowie - pretty much have everything except for a few of the later ones.

Station to Station is my absolute favourite but I think everything he does is great.

Got to see him live in Toronto on the Earthling tour in a surprisingly small venue ... fantastic show

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 11:51
The only Bowie album I have is The Man Who $old The World. Looking at the back cover I noticed that the late Mick Ronson was on the album. I had forgotten that he was one of the "Spiders From Mars".
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 12:17
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Station to Station is my absolute favourite but I think everything he does is great.

Got to see him live in Toronto on the Earthling tour in a surprisingly small venue ... fantastic show

I suppose being from the 70's those albums sounded pretty good on vinyl?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 12:23

man - I don't have your ear - everything sounded good to me - on some half assed stereo :)

I think you're probably a 90 - 100% guy when it comes to knowledge/expectations/commitment to high end audio.

i'm about 50- 60%  I want something decent - that will last.  not absolute crap but not the highest end either because I could never afford it ... plus I enjoy my listening experience.

not saying either is wrong or right - but it helps you to know where I am on the scale when you ask a question like that :)

Sony was always good enough for me  hahahaha

(I do have infinity speakers though)

so - yeah - it sounded good but it was all I knew! :)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 12:27
This will convert most - Bowie's dbl album 'Stage'. What a performance, what a track-list, what a band.......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 14:50

man - I don't have your ear - everything sounded good to me - on some half assed stereo :)

I think you're probably a 90 - 100% guy when it comes to knowledge/expectations/commitment to high end audio.

i'm about 50- 60%  I want something decent - that will last.  not absolute crap but not the highest end either because I could never afford it ... plus I enjoy my listening experience.

not saying either is wrong or right - but it helps you to know where I am on the scale when you ask a question like that :)

Sony was always good enough for me  hahahaha

(I do have infinity speakers though)

so - yeah - it sounded good but it was all I knew! :)

Ur funny LOL I too cannot afford the gear that I would like, this is a hobby so I pay cash for anything I buy. I am more into matching gear for best performance...system synergy. What I have sounds as good in some cases better than system costing 2x as much. I have been to every audio store in Tacoma/Seattle and other places, I have heard systems costing $50k+. Sure some sound insane, so realistic and revealing that you cannot believe what you are hearing.
I sat and listened to a $35K system once and was dumbfounded as to why it sounded so bad....More money does not always equate to better sound.

I don't care what you have just as long as it sounds good to you. I buy what I can afford comfortably and what sounds good to me.....I read and research everything I buy, over and over, whether I spent $1500 or $150, I educate myself.

My system is not considered high-end audio, but that is a label and I don't care. It sounds brilliant to me and that is all that matters, brings a smile to my face when I sit down and listen.

We all know that vinyl in the 90'-00's sounds bad in a lot of cases, compared to vinyl of the 70's...in general. Vinyl has gotten much better, better than I think digital has gotten which is a shame because I think digital should be hands down the best audio you could hear.

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 15:37

Ur funny LOL I too cannot afford the gear that I would like, this is a hobby so I pay cash for anything I buy. I am more into matching gear for best performance...system synergy. What I have sounds as good in some cases better than system costing 2x as much. I have been to every audio store in Tacoma/Seattle and other places, I have heard systems costing $50k+. Sure some sound insane, so realistic and revealing that you cannot believe what you are hearing.
And, of course, there is the law of diminishing returns. 

Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 07:24
Walton, please let me also know about your vinyl doubles: Beatles original copies are not very easy to find around here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 08:26
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Walton, please let me also know about your vinyl doubles: Beatles original copies are not very easy to find around here.

sure thing - but honestly the beatles albums are destroyed - I do have better copies of all of them for myself thank goodness

- SpongeBob Socrates
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 08:38
Oh, ok Disapprove
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 09:11
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

And, of course, there is the law of diminishing returns. 

Absolutely.......if you guys have never seen this video, watch it.....This is the reason why Greece fell from grace LOL, this is where all their money went. These guys are insane, do the math...most of these guys have spent in the neighborhood of $250K on their systems. Beautiful gear no doubt, but the law of diminishing returns applies here.......

Edited by Catcher10 - February 06 2015 at 09:24
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 14:12
My Jazz albums arrived today, even before Fly By Night Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 312>