Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 11:16
^^ LOL
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 17:38
Received another double LP from Sankt Otten yesterday. This one with many special guests, including Can's drummer and Ashra's drummer. This one, unlike the other, is a 33 RPM vinyl Tongue

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 10:25

A few additions this week........Received from Greg Walker

King Crimson~Lark's Tongue In Aspic 200g Remastered version
The Flower Kings~Stardust We Are 3-LP set

Was in Seattle yesterday and stopped by a very cool store called "Wall of Sound". I have seen their website before and they specialize in very eclectic records. A lot of ambient, noise, experimental, avant garde, dark stuff, as well as some dark metal. He had a nice little collection of jazz too. But you will not find any generic pop, rock in his store. Here is the store website and supposedly the guy will ship anywhere
There we picked up:
Ornette Coleman~Tomorrow Is the Question
Can~Monster Movie (Remaster version)
New Orleans Funk~Collection of Funk and Jazz from New Orleans artists, my wife picked this one out.

A lot to listen to this Saturday!!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 14:23
Nice LP's José, that Can artwork is really cool... and the music of course Cool

Let me know what you think of that KC remaster. Happy listening Smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 14:36
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Thick and white, like wolfs chest hair...

I really hope the music is good on that album, because Lord almighty that's a shocker of an album cover!

Although to be fair, the image looks better here than where it's shown up elsewhere online. It usually looks much cheaper and the wolves looked more `CGI'!

Still, my eye is constantly drawn to that sky in the top corner, looks really crummy and amateur!

(mind you, says the guy with no Photoshop-ing skills at all!)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 14:46
^ Look at this cover:
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/943/cover_021131582009.jpg

Look back at the Hackett one. Did your opinion change? LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 14:53
HA! I have that one on CD, Sam! Luckily the music is so great!

And it could be much MUCH worse!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 15:28
I don't know the music, only heard the one with the kangaroo. The cover is not really inviting Tongue

I didn't know that one... I wish I didn't LOL

Two albums that are better on CD Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 15:53
You guys should be banned from the vinyl forum.....at least for the rest of the day....I puked in my mouth a little bit. Dead
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 16:26
Puked in your whole only a little, José?! Well, we'll fix that!

Look at that one with the two fellas closer...they're not wearing shorts, it seems to be something painted on!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 17:10
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Puked in your whole only a little, José?! Well, we'll fix that!

Look at that one with the two fellas closer...they're not wearing shorts, it seems to be something painted on!
......spray-tan.......and mightily
How could you do this to us ??
That Hinten album is kinda funny. And a killer album too. Got a beaut copy, original Ohr pressing. For 30 bucks years ago. Ass-cheeks ain't as offensive as 2 naked dudes together......with spray-on-something.........
Oh, Kan-Guru is my ultimate fave Guru Guru album.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 17:11
I am trying not to look anymore.......stop it!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 17:20
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

A few additions this week........Received from Greg Walker

King Crimson~Lark's Tongue In Aspic 200g Remastered version
The Flower Kings~Stardust We Are 3-LP set

Was in Seattle yesterday and stopped by a very cool store called "Wall of Sound". I have seen their website before and they specialize in very eclectic records. A lot of ambient, noise, experimental, avant garde, dark stuff, as well as some dark metal. He had a nice little collection of jazz too. But you will not find any generic pop, rock in his store. Here is the store website and supposedly the guy will ship anywhere
There we picked up:
Ornette Coleman~Tomorrow Is the Question
Can~Monster Movie (Remaster version)
New Orleans Funk~Collection of Funk and Jazz from New Orleans artists, my wife picked this one out.

A lot to listen to this Saturday!!

Nice selection, Jose.
The TFK album is pretty awesome. The Can album, I love it, but Mr Mooney can be grating if you're not in the right mood. Jaki's drumming is crazy, esp. on Yoo Doo Right.
You know, I've always thought that Lark's Tongues sounded pretty sweet, I have a Polydor issue - if there's any improvement, this could be amazing .
Some cool Jazz things there, too
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 18:24
Just finished up Stardust We Are, the sound quality is very good. Surface noise is non-existant, a couple ticks here and there but nothing major. You can tell it is from a 24/96 digital master as the sound in quiet spots is really quiet.
The overall tone is excellent, the mastering to vinyl was done with care. The 25 minute title track on Side 6 is super nice, considering they had to tighten up the grooves some, no loss of low end either, as I played the CD version to A/B. This 3-LP set also comes with 2-CDs, I can say I am very impressed with this issue.

Comparing this album to Desolation Rose, I can hear a difference, more warmth and analog goodness with DR since it was recorded onto tape in a live studio session, it has that bigger analog sound of the 70's.

For the vinyl enthusiast, this is highly recommended.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 19:05
KC~Lark's is sublime, simply perfect. My vinyl copy is old as dirt, full of ticks and stuff, this all due to back in the day when I was a teen I could not afford the super nice cartridges of the day, so my carts would not treat my vinyl well.

Now that I can afford much higher quality gear and cartridges, especially with today's technology, I am beyond pleased at how new vinyl sounds, especially these remasters by King Crimson....The veil has been lifted. I agree Lark's was never a bad sounding album in original state, but the today's technology and analog reel to reel tape make for a super nice reproduction of these amazing pcs of music.

The CD versions I have do no justice to the original analog sound. Bruford's drums and kick sound deep as well as Wetton's bass, much substance. His vocals have a nice tone, you can picture him in the studio booth singing these lyrics.

The pressing is like all the others, super flat and clean....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 17:38
The Can~Monster Movie, another superb reissue by Spoon Records. Impeccable pressing no surface noise what so ever, the vinyl mastering is a pc of musical artwork and a result from the album being remastered from the original analog tapes. Everything is kept as the original feeling and sounds from this 1969 recording, the sound is amazing and so much better than my digital version.
The music itself is more accessible with a heavy US influence of pop, rock, psych and freeform....You Doo Right is the Miles Davis equivalent of his jazz/fusion jam sessions he is so famous for. Not sure Miles recorded 12 hours worth of jamming but The Can did it and You Doo Right is the result. And yes Jaki's drumming is mind numbing.

I have no issue with Mooney's vocals, similar to Damo's but you can understand Mooney more....His singing is a view into the late 60's and what was going on then, I can only imagine!

Highly recommended simply from the vinyl listening experience and high sound quality, but throw in the music and this one is a no-brainer.

Cheers!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 19:06
^ Excellent analyses, Jose. Love Monster Movie, but Future Days is the pick for me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 19:12
Good to know you're happy with your purchases, the KC and Can LP's seem amazing. I'll have to get those eventually Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 19:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Excellent analyses, Jose. Love Monster Movie, but Future Days is the pick for me.

FD is next........
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 02:08
Question here Ermm aren't most recent album recordings digital instead of analog tapes? Thus this would mean that the digital wav files or whatever thereafter would be converted into vinyl?

Edited by Kati - April 05 2015 at 02:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 312>