Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 03:17
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It's an Hungarian Space Rock band. It's their best rated album from the 70's here, lots of electric and acoustic guitar, Moog and that warm 70's European Prog typical sound. It was recommended by a neighbour who got me into many Prog stuff some years ago, he'll be glad I got a copy of it. This album was quite successful around here Smile
Hi Meltdowner
I have several Omega albums and Time Robber along with The Hall Of Floaters In The Sky are my two
favorites. Their earlier albums were a bit rough but from the mid seventies on they moved toward
psych/space rock.
They were pretty popular back then and their import albums were readily available.
Let us know what you think after you've heard it.

Gary sir....please advise us what you DON'T have....you are my vinyl collection hero! Clap
Thank you...Embarrassed 

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 11:41

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Yes. Also they're mastered differently from CD because below certain frequency it is impossible to put low tones in vinyl in stereo. John Mitchell (!) explained that to me last week,and will explain more next month :)

Angelo SmileHug
Yes I understand that, but if the initial studio recording is digital, in this case specific case in terms of recent releases makes the argument of being best quite futile.  Wink

Remember...what you hear on a CD, vinyl, cassette, DVD, Youtube, Spotify is not what you would hear in the studio. That digital recording is manipulated to sound like what the artist and engineer desire it to be, also do not forget that all sounds are analog and the process of converting to digital is not easy, that A-D conversion is also subjective based on the equipment being used.

Questioning what is best is fine....if not, from a music perspective this website would not exist. But that can be saved for another thread.....We try to be a non confrontational group on this vinyl thread.

Have a great day!
Awww Catcher10 Ouch
You clearly misunderstood what I said here. I said above if the vinyl is reproduced from the digital recording it makes in this case the debate that vinyl is better futile. Certainly no superior. Awww ... Bah Unhappy I cannot argue here as I don't know any of this, it's just my interest and curiosity of wanting to understand and/or know more.
I certainly also do want to keep this post happy and very nice to us all. I apologize for the misunderstanding.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 15:54
We argue, we fight, diss each other on sight ........
Oh, wait a minute........
This is about vinyl, which means a lot to some of us here. Whether it has a 'better' sound than CD or digital or analogue or whatever, LP's are the 'preferred' format for many of us, so why can't we all just behave and be good little children ?

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 10 2015 at 15:54
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 15:57

Hi Meltdowner
I have several Omega albums and Time Robber along with The Hall Of Floaters In The Sky are my two
favorites. Their earlier albums were a bit rough but from the mid seventies on they moved toward
psych/space rock.
They were pretty popular back then and their import albums were readily available.
I'll have to listen to 'The Hall Of Floaters In The Sky' then Smile
Ok, I will. Thumbs Up

I was cleaning the records yesterday and I noticed the Wakeman one is slightly concave. When I try to play the first minutes of side A, the hollow side, the cartridge scratches the record Ouch Side B seems to play nicely though. Is there an easy and safe way to flatten the vinyl? Ermm
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 15:58
I can suffer being accused of many things but "dissing" others and behaving like a child are two that I will not.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 16:04
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Hi Meltdowner
psych/space rock.
I'll have to listen to 'The Hall Of Floaters In The Sky' then Smile
Ok, I will. Thumbs Up

I was cleaning the records yesterday and I noticed the Wakeman one is slightly concave. When I try to play the first minutes of side A, the hollow side, the cartridge scratches the record Ouch Side B seems to play nicely though. Is there an easy and safe way to flatten the vinyl? Ermm

Place the disc between two sheets of glass and place in a warm oven (80 degrees C) for 1 minute. Remove and place on flat surface, weigh down with heavy object (large book). Wait until glass is back to room temperature. Check disc for flatness - if still warped increase oven time to 2 minutes.
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 16:05
^^ I wouldn't 'diss' anyone who looks like Clive Nolan

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 10 2015 at 16:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 16:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Place the disc between two sheets of glass and place in a warm oven (80 degrees C) for 1 minute. Remove and place on flat surface, weigh down with heavy object (large book). Wait until glass is back to room temperature. Check disc for flatness - if still warped increase oven time to 2 minutes.
Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can find two sheets of glass. I better make sure the oven is clean, I don't want the disc to smell like lasagna... or do I? LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 18:09
^ Only RPI albums can smell like lasagna
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 20:11
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 20:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I can suffer being accused of many things but "dissing" others and behaving like a child are two that I will not.
You are my favorite Grumpy, Dean. I have said this many times. Also, you are actually very VERY nice, sweet too and I like your weird sense of humour. LOLBig smileBig hugHug 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 07:30
I present this image here because I am practically wetting myself with excitement:

That is a picture of the first spin of my first vinyl recording - a 40 minute 12" 33rpm LP of a compilation from two of my Cacophony of Light albums that arrived by post less than 30 minutes ago. I am currently playing side 2 (a single 20 minute track called Chiron) and while I am loathed to give any impression of what it sounds like because no one except me can ever possibly hear it, it sounds gorgeously lovely.

It is pressed as a "dub-plate" ... traditionally these were made of poly-vinyl-acetate on a metal plate and had a very limited life, but this one is hand-carved into 180g pvc that is as durable as standard vinyl. It cost me the grand sum of £46 (plus £5.50) to have made which I think that is excellent value for money and, having only placed the order for it late Wednesday evening, the three-day turnaround is excellent too. The only (and this is the only) downside is it comes in a plain white sleeve and inner-liner, but the price did include the printing of the full-colour labels.

Ah, crapping hell, it does sound good. Approve

Edited by Dean - April 11 2015 at 07:57
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 06:45
Listening to your own music on vinyl must be amazing Smile Did you pay £46 for only one copy? Ermm
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 07:39
I've always dreamed of having recordings I've been involved with pressed onto vinyl. It would make the efforts so much more fulfilling.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 08:11
This is "cut" not a "pressing" - there is no master plate from which other pressings can be made.

To quote from the carver's website: "We will master and cut your track directly from our Apogee PSX-100SE converter and feed it through transformers and valves ... Eventually your tune arrives in a 1,000 Watt amplifier whose mighty dose of power is delivered to a super sharp-pointed diamond. Because only the toughest material on earth can carve your track into an everlasting dubplate."

So yes, this was £46 for a single copy - two copies would have cost me £92.
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 08:14
^ You lucky-duck !!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 08:28
^^ Ok, that makes sense, I didn't understand the hand-carved process.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 22:10
That's cool Dean.....I have always thought of getting some dubdiscs of some favorite albums that I would like to keep in pristine condition, use the dubdisc as my play disc.
They can be inexpensive to have made, you can also send them a digital file, CD, cassette tape for them to make a dubdisc for you.
These are one-off cuts, no mother plate is made.

Nice and I believe you when you say it sounds gorgeously lovely.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 22:29

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Yes. Also they're mastered differently from CD because below certain frequency it is impossible to put low tones in vinyl in stereo. John Mitchell (!) explained that to me last week,and will explain more next month :)

Angelo SmileHug
Yes I understand that, but if the initial studio recording is digital, in this case specific case in terms of recent releases makes the argument of being best quite futile.  Wink

Remember...what you hear on a CD, vinyl, cassette, DVD, Youtube, Spotify is not what you would hear in the studio. That digital recording is manipulated to sound like what the artist and engineer desire it to be, also do not forget that all sounds are analog and the process of converting to digital is not easy, that A-D conversion is also subjective based on the equipment being used.

Questioning what is best is fine....if not, from a music perspective this website would not exist. But that can be saved for another thread.....We try to be a non confrontational group on this vinyl thread.

Have a great day!
Awww Catcher10 Ouch
You clearly misunderstood what I said here. I said above if the vinyl is reproduced from the digital recording it makes in this case the debate that vinyl is better futile. Certainly no superior. Awww ... Bah Unhappy I cannot argue here as I don't know any of this, it's just my interest and curiosity of wanting to understand and/or know more.
I certainly also do want to keep this post happy and very nice to us all. I apologize for the misunderstanding.  

Nope...I totally understood your comment, nothing confusing from my end. I even stated that questioning what is best is fine. I don't believe the digital debate is futile, I will not discuss that with anyone here as I have my own 35+ yr experiences with vinyl and many different vinyl systems to base my feelings on, as well as many digital systems to base my own feelings on. If I thought vinyl was superior, my listening habits would be 90% digital/CD and not the current 90% vinyl....

Whether any of us are right or wrong means nothing, simply zilch!! What only matters is that you listen to music in whatever media makes you feel good and gives you the best listening experience possible.

I guess to me it is confusing that you state the argument is futile yet you express you cannot argue here as you do not know any of this, it's just your interest and curiosity of wanting to understand and/or know more.

I would suggest going to a hi-fi shop/store whatever you might call it, and go and listen to a vinyl system and then a digital system, that will start the process of forming your own opinion.

Thanks for posting and enjoy your music however you prefer.......No argument from me there ClapClapTongueTongueTongueBeer
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 02:50
^ You are still misunderstanding Sonia's observation. 
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 312>