Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 137138139140141 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 17:05
So I am really tired of describing these albums by Riverside and Inside Out Music...from now on unless one of them sounds like crapp I will stop describing the sound........you should assume the mix, mastering, pressing is nothing but stellar! Clap These are all made in Germany as the label states, although I am not sure who is pressing them, the only one that comes to mind could be Optimal Media.
The music yes it is not Second Life Syndrome or ADHD, but it still very good music and Mariusz Duda's vocals are some of the best, I know I am going to enjoy this album. My feelings is always, we should get used to the current sound and not try to be used to the older sound, progress forward.

Great album......

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 02:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So I am really tired of describing these albums by Riverside and Inside Out Music...from now on unless one of them sounds like crapp I will stop describing the sound........you should assume the mix, mastering, pressing is nothing but stellar! Clap These are all made in Germany as the label states, although I am not sure who is pressing them, the only one that comes to mind could be Optimal Media.
The music yes it is not Second Life Syndrome or ADHD, but it still very good music and Mariusz Duda's vocals are some of the best, I know I am going to enjoy this album. My feelings is always, we should get used to the current sound and not try to be used to the older sound, progress forward.

Great album......

Looks like you are in wonderful DNR land. I have no doubt that those pressings are pretty top notch cause the CDs (if treated correctly as you know:) sound absolutely lovely.
Let me know how it goes. I'm gonna grab that latest riverside album soon. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 05:12
When I get my Koloss album (by Meshuggah) it is in white vinyl......... Hurry on Dancer, Prancer, Vixen and Blitzem........whoever reign-deer folk will deliver this heavy slab of inhuman contraband ......
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 11:26
It looks great, José Clap You're absolutely right about progressing forward, it starts getting better after a few spins Wink
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 12:54

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^ I hope you're right, I'll let you know when I get that album. I bought the single LP editions, I didn't know if it would be worth buying the double LP ones. 

^ They sure look great. I don't remember anything from these albums. Ermm

The deluxe versions of LZ are for collectors I think, I have a couple of them because of a few songs I wanted the alternate versions on. I'm not a big fan of "acoustic" versions of songs or versions with no vocals. But alternate mix songs can be interesting.

Rush~Signals is one of their more popular albums, Subdivisions is the big hit with that wonderful 7/8 synth pattern to start the song. Also Side 2 starts with The Weapon (part 2 of the fear trilogy), the whole albums is very good.
Presto is an album I really enjoy, not many "progers" do but screw them!! LOL There are some really good songs there, sure very heavy to synth but the drumming is very good as well as the lyrics. 

The Zep albums really do sound great on vinyl. Being a Zep nut I took the plunge and decided to get the box sets for them all. There's probably not another band I'd go to such expense for. Bought them gradually of course and I only need Coda to complete the collection. Must have bought around 5 different versions of every Zeppelin album over the years!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 12:56
Bought this on vinyl this week. A lovely album....

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 13:11
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

^^ I hope you're right, I'll let you know when I get that album. I bought the single LP editions, I didn't know if it would be worth buying the double LP ones. 

The deluxe versions of LZ are for collectors I think, I have a couple of them because of a few songs I wanted the alternate versions on. I'm not a big fan of "acoustic" versions of songs or versions with no vocals. But alternate mix songs can be interesting.

Rush~Signals is one of their more popular albums, Subdivisions is the big hit with that wonderful 7/8 synth pattern to start the song. Also Side 2 starts with The Weapon (part 2 of the fear trilogy), the whole albums is very good.
Presto is an album I really enjoy, not many "progers" do but screw them!! LOL There are some really good songs there, sure very heavy to synth but the drumming is very good as well as the lyrics. 

The Zep albums really do sound great on vinyl. Being a Zep nut I took the plunge and decided to get the box sets for them all. There's probably not another band I'd go to such expense for. Bought them gradually of course and I only need Coda to complete the collection. Must have bought around 5 different versions of every Zeppelin album over the years!

Nice..I only bought the Super Dooper Deluxe Box Set of LZ I, cause I wanted the book. The others I bought either the base vinyl or deluxe vinyl with 2nd LP........Which do you feel is the best?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 13:14

It looks great, José Clap You're absolutely right about progressing forward, it starts getting better after a few spins Wink

I felt the same about Shrine, I had the CD and thought it was just OK. Never really sat and just listened, I struggle doing that with CDs. Then I bought the vinyl for a good price and I really got into the album, the songs are very good, for a time it was in heavy rotation, now it is part of the collection and I spin it regularly.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 13:24

Nice..I only bought the Super Dooper Deluxe Box Set of LZ I, cause I wanted the book. The others I bought either the base vinyl or deluxe vinyl with 2nd LP........Which do you feel is the best?

To be honest, if i wasn't such a Zep fan I'd have just gone for the standard single disc versions. The second disc with most of them doesn't offer anything particularly different and none surpass the original versions. Coda seems to offer much more but I'll have to wait until the new year to get that one.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 14:03
I do enjoy the 2nd LP of LZ IV, more than the others....Never had Coda on vinyl, yea next year I think for me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 14:04

A sweet sounding vinyl...a nice low end too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 18:01

LZ is one of my favourite bands, but I'm only interested on the single LP, I care only for the final product Wink

Bought this on vinyl this week. A lovely album....

That's a lovely cover too, I bet the LP looks great Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 18:11

I felt the same about Shrine, I had the CD and thought it was just OK. Never really sat and just listened, I struggle doing that with CDs. Then I bought the vinyl for a good price and I really got into the album, the songs are very good, for a time it was in heavy rotation, now it is part of the collection and I spin it regularly.
I know what you mean, except for electronic music (a genre that I think is great on CD, especially ambient and drone), I don't give much quality time to CDs.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 18:31
A couple of new LP's in my collection:

Great classic Jazz album, it's one I really wanted and I found a copy. I also was looking at Miles Davis' albums trying to understand which of the countless versions of Kind Of Blue is the best LOL

I was curious about that one and they had it for some months but with the Black Friday discounts it seemed a less risky purchase. Quite good at first listen, and quality-wise is similar to KC's reissues... and I also won't talk more about it either Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 18:33
^ I have been listening to the CD version of Love, Fear......it misses the mark for holding my aural attention. I really think it has to do with quality of sound, sure it has a pitch black background in between songs..duh! But since the CD is dumbed down to 16bit and the vinyl is mastered from 24bit, I just sense pcs of music are missing on the CD. There is also a bit of loss on the sound staging with the CD, the music is narrow focused, while the vinyl is wide and inviting.
This is where I will stop since to me the reason is my digital gear compared to my analog gear....Regardless there is a difference to me.

Must be why I am posting on this "Vinyl" thread.....Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 18:49
Unless you want to spend uber money for KoB, get the 2010 Columbia/Legacy reissue. This one is a great reissue of the classic 6-eye Columbia label. On the spine should be 88697680571, I paid $20.00 brand new for it......The most recent one issued is supposedly even nicer sounding but it is a MoFi release 45rpm 2-LP and sells for about $45.00.
There are many different issues of KoB.....I know some people that have 6 different versions....Shocked
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 19:06
^^ I agree, it's not as captivating Ermm Curiously, I bought Museo Rosenbach's Zarathustra on CD (since the LP's are awfully expensive) and it says "24 bit remaster", but it obviously don't have that much depth. It sounds quite great for a CD though.

^They have that Columbia one, but this one also seems interesting: http://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Kind-Of-Blue/release/5643121 I know about that new one, but I don't love the album that much Tongue
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 19:10
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 19:13
I don't know "Not Now Music". I would Google that edition and see what people say. I am not a big mono fan, simply because I don't have a mono cartridge...I do read that certain mono versions are stunning, but those are reviews from people that have a dedicated mono setup.

You can also check out the Steve Hoffman website, those guys are very critical of their vinyl versions, you can get insight on what versions are highly regarded for sound quality.

sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sublime220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 19:13
GAAAAAH! Some of my favourites of all time in that collection, especially Pet Sounds, Doc, Limbs, Thick, Leftoverture and Fire. Is Sounds an original copy or a remaster?
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 137138139140141 312>