Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:15
^ That's great . It is very 'dense' music to absorb. Mind-boggling - and the drummer, Weasel, is just amazing.
If you wish to try something *really* relentless - try Meshuggah - I Am Collosus. This one is Earth-Shatteringly heavy and unrelenting. This makes Magma, Universe Zero and Shub Niggurath seem like a walk in the park.
Add to that the Texan band Yeti. 'Heavy' is a refreshing change from time to time. And I never forget about the extreme other end of the spectrum, with Nick Beggs and Limahl. Again, I'm not a fan of 80's New-Wave, but if I like what I hear...........

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 15 2015 at 05:21
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:20
^ Thankfully it's less than 30 minutes long Tongue
I'll need to listen to something calmer now LOL Univers Zero is a band I should explore more.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:33
^ In an interview, even Colin, himself, said that he had 2 more tracks for the album which were under-rehearsed and missed the final cut, and that in retrospect, it worked out for the better, because the under-30 minute playing time for this type of music, is more than enough for the listener to absorb without being overwhelmed. So there you go......
Amusing that many of these extreme metal musicians are actually rather 'geeky' and straight. Not all, but some
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 05:49
^ Good call Thumbs Up It's the same thing for Punk Hardcore albums, less than 30 minutes is a good lenght.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 06:26
^ Right on
Attention spans go only so far with most folks..........
The Gorguts album I've acquired recently is a dbl at around 63 mins. I have spun it, about 8 times now (got it on Friday) - and by the 3rd side, it is a blur. I do like it a lot, the growl, yes, the growl.........I can't, for the life of me, truly, honestly say I dig this style of 'singing', but it does fit, and it does take effort and training, especially when playing an instrument too. But, as you know with Prog, vocalists are hit and miss anyway, I love Grobschnitt, but here even Wildschwein (Stefan Danielak) is just as difficult to take as these Growling vocalists. Anyway, the music comes first and foremost, so, generally, looks like I go for select Extreme bands of this nature.
Change is good !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 15 2015 at 06:44
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 12:47
I have spent many years listening to different music, none of it prog. R&B, Jazz, Soul, Funk, Classic Rock and even some Disco. Many of those genres are now out of my comfort zone as I have spent the last 20yrs deep into prog and all it's sub-genres. 
On occasion I will spin some of these other genres and I find myself smiling, since I grew up listening to a lot of it.
Right now I don't feel the need to dig into other music....It's weird but I feel I have plenty to listen to.

Edited by Catcher10 - December 15 2015 at 14:17
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 13:07
^ I can agree with that - there's so many LP's in my collection I haven't spun in years, and do I miss not hearing them - not really. One day I will have to do a 'stock-take' count and down-size, but it's just comforting knowing that they are there, waiting to be spun........
I don't mind taking a trip away from the 'usual' Prog, it breaks things up a little, and so far, Extreme is, whilst I can hear the technicality and intelligence involved, is the furthest I've gone from my 'general world' of listening.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 16:00

I bought this Portuguese 70's Prog album at a reasonable price (the average price is around 50€), since the cover is not in great condition, but the disc is better than the cover. A nice mixture of Symphonic, Fusion, Space and Indo-Prog, I just wish it would be fully instrumental... awful vocals and lyrics Ouch Much better than their previous album IMO, though.

Never heard anything from them before, but I found this copy really cheap. This album is quite Pop though Ermm

Another of my recent Psych purchases, the only one I have from this label that isn't coloured LOL

Since I had to clean the first two LPs and others I didn't listen yet, I also cleaned my albums from Camel, Supertramp and Alan Parsons Project, so I'm revisiting some favourites I know quite well. These albums are great to test the recent upgrades, it was fantastic to listen to Crime Of The Century this time Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 09:09
^ Saga is a band that has always been in my wheel house, but never close to the top of my fav bands. I have several of their albums including that one. Wife and I saw Saga in concert in 1984 (I think) in Baton Rouge, La at LSU. I think the headliner was Quiet Riot, might have been The Police, I don't remember. 

You need to listen to World's Apart, much proggier if that is what you are looking for, regardless it has some amazing songs. Check out The Chapters Live album....series of songs that make up a story, they released them over a 20yr period as a mixed up puzzle.

They have a huge catalog, their most recent 20/20 is pretty good.....Problem is not much of the later material is on vinyl.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 23:08
^ I have Saga S/T - it's excellent most of the way through. Almost sports a Neo-Prog sound before 'Neo' existed !!
Frosted Celt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frosted Celt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 02:09
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 10:10
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I have Saga S/T - it's excellent most of the way through. Almost sports a Neo-Prog sound before 'Neo' existed !!

That's a good assessment...They never were full on progressive, they touched it on occasion. But they did have some very intriguing songs with excellent topic content, I always thought Sadler was a very good vocalist too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 10:25
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into those Smile

Speaking of Neo:

Played it through my faulty speakers, their music is not for headphones Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 11:12
^ Is this the reissue? I only have an original pressing and it needs to be replaced....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 11:14
A wonderful band.....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 11:19
^^ I bought it brand new. It's this one: http://www.discogs.com/Marillion-Fugazi/release/3764921

Edited by Meltdowner - December 18 2015 at 11:21
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 15:33
The copy of Fugazi I have is, I guess, the original EMI pressing, and it sounds fine, perhaps a little 'thin', but I've enjoyed it since I bought it 25 years ago. Still in beautiful condition. And regarding 'modern' Marillion, I've been drawn to Anoraknophobia since the vinyl issue was released, could be my fave h era album, along with Brave, and to a lesser extent, This Strange Engine. I don't get all the negativity surrounding Neo-Prog....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 18:39
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

The copy of Fugazi I have is, I guess, the original EMI pressing, and it sounds fine, perhaps a little 'thin', but I've enjoyed it since I bought it 25 years ago. Still in beautiful condition. And regarding 'modern' Marillion, I've been drawn to Anoraknophobia since the vinyl issue was released, could be my fave h era album, along with Brave, and to a lesser extent, This Strange Engine. I don't get all the negativity surrounding Neo-Prog....

I still need to get Anorak on vinyl....I agree the slam of neo on this site is rather silly when you think about it. I think it has to do with the word "neo" and it's definition, dark emotional lyrics and more melodic playing, less traditional prog rock jamming. What I don't like is the references to Genesis, Camel and Floyd, I think that is where people get pissed at neo.
In general to me the neo bands are much more musical, better vocals and lyrics, subject matter maybe even more technical than most other prog-sub genres, maybe except for symphonic.

I enjoy me some neo Clap
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 21:04
^ Halleluah !   Man, I'll eat myself if the 'Neo' bands are 'clones' of Genesis (esp.) - sure, they've been inspired by the likes of them, Yes, Floyd etc. but in NO WAY, do they 'sound' like them. Inspiration is a wonderful, and obviously, confusing thing. I guess that most modern things need to be compared to what's come before and that's the way they do it. For the folks who snub 'Neo' - it's their loss. I have never, nor will I ever, have any qualms about this 'Neo' tag. For me, Pendragon, Marillion, I.Q., Twelfth Night, Magenta, Landmark etc. I qualify as top-tier Prog music. Bugger all of the 'Nay-Sayers', if you will. Buggered if I can hear Genesis in LANDMARQ (f**k the automatic upper-case sh*t.........can't get rid of it.............) -   To me, 'Neo' is just a lame and tag defining symph-Prog from the 80's onward...........
I just call it 'Prog'...............
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 11:07
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Wonderful psych-rock...their first several albums are outstanding. Then turning into hard/metal based in the late 70's, still excellent stuff. I have been a Scorps fan since about '79........

You know, i've never really given the early Scorpions stuff a serious listen despite knowing their metal stuff inside out. must put that right sometime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 312>