Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169170 312>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 04:42
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Cool observation
I've been keeping an eye out for that Druid for a loooong time. I didn't quite know if it was Druid or Ragnarok. Still never seen a copy.......
The GG albums are a superb pick up, esp. Glass House. Magma and Hammill/VDGG too. All bleedin' marvellous albums if you ask me !!
And also, even Yes 'clones' have a lot of originality to offer. Yes have always been up there with my favourites of Symph-Prog, so anything resembling them is welcome in my collection.
Pleased to meet you, Anaon

Hey pleased to meet you too Tom! Thumbs Up
The Druid album is quite hard to find I believe... I got it from someone who sold his entire collection mainly prog stuffs (all the albums come from the same seller) and it is mint, I just listened to it and it's just better than I remembered!!
I agree with you about yes clones is just that often, some albums like the one by Druid are greatly underated because it's considered just like copycat bands...

@Meltdowner : Druid is far more interesting than Starcastle (I like them too though) if you ask me, check Toward The Sund out if you have the chance, it's just symphonic prog heaven (with a lot of Mellotron, which is always a plus LOL)

Yay !! There are a few of us vinyl obsessives here - not that we don't have CD's, but vinyl is very special and has more meaning for us - and the main thing - AS LONG AS THE MUSIC IN THE GROOVES MOVES US. After all, we don't dig vinyl because it's 'vinyl' - we love what it contains. Obviously, most of us are considered out-dated weirdos - strange, complex music and good old-fashioned wax........

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 21 2015 at 04:45
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 04:41
^^ That's how I started my Prog collection Smile
Lots of Mellotron!? Sold HandshakeLOL

^ Yeah, I also know Yezda Urfa. He also recommended me the debut and Worlds Apart.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 04:34
^ Yep - Starcastle and Wobbler (at least, Rites At Dawn). Yezda Urfa as well. And really, you have to be very qualified musicians to pull of Yes sounding material.....
That sunglasses cover Saga album - I was on a record-hunt with Aussie Byrd Brother when we both stumbled across several Saga vinyls - I grabbed the debut, Mike grabbed the sunglasses one and one with a tiger jumping through a burning hoop. I really love the debut. I find it similar to Pendragon's debut proper 'The Jewel' in that the first cut is somewhat Pop oriented and commercial sounding, and the rest more Proggy.
I especially love the sensational Mini-Moog work of, is it Sadler ?? Gosh, I think I'll dig out the debut after dinner.......
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 04:31
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Cool observation
I've been keeping an eye out for that Druid for a loooong time. I didn't quite know if it was Druid or Ragnarok. Still never seen a copy.......
The GG albums are a superb pick up, esp. Glass House. Magma and Hammill/VDGG too. All bleedin' marvellous albums if you ask me !!
And also, even Yes 'clones' have a lot of originality to offer. Yes have always been up there with my favourites of Symph-Prog, so anything resembling them is welcome in my collection.

Hey pleased to meet you too Tom! Thumbs Up
The Druid album is quite hard to find I believe... I got it from someone who sold his entire collection mainly prog stuffs (all the albums come from the same seller) and it is mint, I just listened to it and it's just better than I remembered!!
I agree with you about yes clones is just that often, some albums like the one by Druid are greatly underated because it's considered just like copycat bands...

@Meltdowner : Druid is far more interesting than Starcastle (I like them too though) if you ask me, check Toward The Sund out if you have the chance, it's just symphonic prog heaven (with a lot of Mellotron, which is always a plus LOL)

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 04:07
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Clap
Cool cover, now I know what I'll be looking for Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Early Xmas present Tongue Party

What a Christmas present! Clap Never heard Druid, Starcastle is the only Yes clone I know... and Wobbler's latest album Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 23:51
^ Cool observation
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 13:55
Fun to see we have registered to PA nearly the same day, the same year!!
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 13:54
Well done sir! Toward The Sun by Druid! Great album if you're not against Yes clones Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 13:41
^ that looks like an awesome selection    
I have them all except for the one to the left of Kohntarkosz. Looks like Druid but not sure ??
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 10:55
Early Xmas present Tongue Party

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 19:54

Clap
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 18:02
When I posted about Tokyo Tapes I was going to mention Strangers In The Night which is a great live album with great sound.
And Of course, there's the live extended version of Rock Bottom.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 16:54
All Scorps drummers, up to Kottak, are excellent players, especially the ones before Rarebell. Rosenthall and Lenners were fantastic!! Rarebell is the last drummer I think that complimented the Scorps sound, after him the others are filler musicians. Not a fan of Kottak at all, seen him 2x now and don't like him.

Tokyo Tapes is one of the best live albums of the 70's..for me right behind UFO Strangers in the Night. I am siked the band became so freaking huge, if not for that they could not have afforded to tour the US as they have been doing for the past 30yrs.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 15:31
I posted several months ago how I got a US copy of Love Drive with the banned cover.
After the cover was banned the label put all of the albums that were already manufactured in colored shrink wrap with a round sticker (covering the model) that had the band's name and the album title.
This was better than throwing away who knows how many covers that were already printed.

I totally agree about Roth's playing but I'm also glad that the band went on to become very successful in the US and around the world.

Speaking of around the world, Tokyo Tapes is an excellent 2xLP live album.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 15:07
^ Fly To The Rainbow is amazing - and even featured future ELOY drummer Jurgen Rosenthal. ELOY were in an adjacent studio recording Floating, and Bornemann was so impressed with Jurgen's drumming that he made an offer he couldn't refuse.
And Lonesome Crow is very much a Krautrock album

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 19 2015 at 15:08
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 14:53
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Wonderful psych-rock...their first several albums are outstanding. Then turning into hard/metal based in the late 70's, still excellent stuff. I have been a Scorps fan since about '79........

You know, i've never really given the early Scorpions stuff a serious listen despite knowing their metal stuff inside out. must put that right sometime.

Scorps first few albums are littered with psych rock and even some kraut rock, especially first album Lonesome Crow. They had to have had some influence or listened to The Can also, I can hear it. Roth's guitar playing is so spacey/psychy its amazing stuff...But at the heart of Scorpions was hard rock/metal and wanting to conquer the US, so enter more metal based music. Still there are tinges of psych in later albums like the songs The Zoo, Animal Magnetism, China White.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 14:47
^ It is Gary...my bad Embarrassed, I have both but only a picture of the import version. I have all the US banned covers, they are RCA Japanese prints. I bought them way back in the day when Tower Records was king, they had an amazing import section. The liner notes are all in Japanese and a couple have in engrish too, they are very cool and the SQ is pretty nice.

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 11:46
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Wonderful psych-rock...their first several albums are outstanding. Then turning into hard/metal based in the late 70's, still excellent stuff. I have been a Scorps fan since about '79........

You know, i've never really given the early Scorpions stuff a serious listen despite knowing their metal stuff inside out. must put that right sometime.
All of the albums with Ulrich Roth were great (Michael Schenker was on Lonesome Crow).
I notice that's the import cover with the exposed nipple. On the US cover it was airbrushed out.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 11:07

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 21:04
^ Halleluah !   Man, I'll eat myself if the 'Neo' bands are 'clones' of Genesis (esp.) - sure, they've been inspired by the likes of them, Yes, Floyd etc. but in NO WAY, do they 'sound' like them. Inspiration is a wonderful, and obviously, confusing thing. I guess that most modern things need to be compared to what's come before and that's the way they do it. For the folks who snub 'Neo' - it's their loss. I have never, nor will I ever, have any qualms about this 'Neo' tag. For me, Pendragon, Marillion, I.Q., Twelfth Night, Magenta, Landmark etc. I qualify as top-tier Prog music. Bugger all of the 'Nay-Sayers', if you will. Buggered if I can hear Genesis in LANDMARQ (f**k the automatic upper-case sh*t.........can't get rid of it.............) -   To me, 'Neo' is just a lame and tag defining symph-Prog from the 80's onward...........
I just call it 'Prog'...............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169170 312>