Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 04:40
4 of my top prog albums for 2017:

Bent Knee, Junius, Fen and Tricot together at last...
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 05:37
I don't know Fen but it looks beautiful!! 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 13:23
Those are really nice........
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:00
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

4 of my top prog albums for 2017:

Bent Knee, Junius, Fen and Tricot together at last...
Drooling    I don’t know any of these. I hope they sound as good as they look !!
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 01:53
Record Store Day list dropped. Proggers may like the releases lined up from Eno, Swans, Popol Vuh, Residents, and Tull among others.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 12:45
That's a nice list this year.......Presses have been busy, that's a lot of records.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 13:06
Very cool, except for Back In Black reissued on cassette!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 04:00
Tangerine Dream's Zeit on a single LP!? There must be a mistake there.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 11:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Cassettes are in serious demand past couple years. If you are only into streaming or YT music, you would think certain physical formats are nuts.
Making mix tapes is what the young folk are into now......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 12:11
I've had this one for a couple months now, and cannot get enough spins. The mastering/mixing quality is off the charts, as is the performance itself. 

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 18:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Cassettes are in serious demand past couple years. If you are only into streaming or YT music, you would think certain physical formats are nuts.
I've actually been able to fund a lot of my LP buying by selling off my extensive metal (mostly thrash and death) cassette collection which had been stored in my basement for ages.Tongue

I finally was able to grab my second Sony Records vinyl from the 00's (very rare).

I swear, Sony Records didn't mess around concerning quality. The inserts with photos, credits, and lyrics, the gatefold photos, the record sleeves...all beautifully designed. The vinyl quality is no joke either...utterly rich sounding.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 11:24
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I've actually been able to fund a lot of my LP buying by selling off my extensive metal (mostly thrash and death) cassette collection which had been stored in my basement for ages.Tongue

I finally was able to grab my second Sony Records vinyl from the 00's (very rare).

I swear, Sony Records didn't mess around concerning quality. The inserts with photos, credits, and lyrics, the gatefold photos, the record sleeves...all beautifully designed. The vinyl quality is no joke either...utterly rich sounding.

Yes, The End, both of these are unbuyable unless you want to spend $250...Japan issued so the mastering should be very good considering the engineers.
Nice!!
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 19:30
Oh yeah, snagging Yes was a dream, and the mastering job and overall quality is dynamite. The musicianship on that one is the real deal; when you have major players like Allen Toussaint (RIP), Cyril Neville and even the Memphis Horns playing alongside Japanese wunderkinds, it's necessary for this to sound impeccable. Sony didn't skimp whatsoever.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 14:35
As always...only original vinyl....from the local record store owned by this snotty nosed 26 year old....  ;)

Uriah Heep- Sweet Freedom 1973
Savoy Brown- Hellbound Train 1972
Spirit- Feedback 1972
ELP- Works vol 1 1977

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 09:49
Finally received from across the pond.........My Lava (93812-2) enhanced CD from 2005 is a very good to excellent sounding CD. The original Lava CD is compressed to hell/loudness wars, this recording needed a good makeover.
Steven Wilson did a fantastic job of remixing/remastering Deadwing for vinyl on this 2018 issue, more dynamics and resolution than the CD version, there is much less compression.
Arriving Somewhere has never sounded better as well as Start Of Something Beautiful .

Now waiting on In Absentia. I see both are now out of stock @ Burning Shed

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 08:39
^Nice looking Deadwing vinyl......a friend is really into PT and Wilson and she's been buying all the vinyl reissues she can find. I have all of it on cd other than a few live ones   but no vinyl of PT or Wilson.

I posted in another thread I bought a new turntable,a Denon, because my old Onkyo finally gave up the ghost...and it's still in the box after 2 weeks.....LOL...it's hell to get old and lazy.

ps..is that a Music Hall 7 table..? I have heard of them never seen one in action.  ;)

Edited by dr wu23 - March 27 2018 at 08:43
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 12:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Nice looking Deadwing vinyl......a friend is really into PT and Wilson and she's been buying all the vinyl reissues she can find. I have all of it on cd other than a few live ones   but no vinyl of PT or Wilson.

I posted in another thread I bought a new turntable,a Denon, because my old Onkyo finally gave up the ghost...and it's still in the box after 2 weeks.....LOL...it's hell to get old and lazy.

ps..is that a Music Hall 7 table..? I have heard of them never seen one in action.  ;)

I am missing a couple PT records like the 1st one, V34 and Sky Moves......Not my favs but will get them eventually. Coma also but it is a live record so again, not at the top of my list right now. Original Deadwing would run you $400 so that was never going to happen and I knew it was only a matter of time before SW was able to get a deal done with the label to allow him a reissue.

All PT records are mixed and mastered for vinyl which is crucial to a brilliant sounding record and SW as we know is an excellent engineer.

What Denon did you get?

Yes it is a Music Hall mmf-7.1 but I have it modded to the 7.3 specs. I upgraded the tonearm and added the speed controller. Roy Hall gave me a thumbs up on my upgrades......I drool for a mmf-11.1 but at $4K prolly never. I might do the mmf-9.3
The mmf-7.1 performs well above price point.....

Here is a Stereophile review of my table. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 12:16
Also understand doc, that I have a cartridge (Lyra Delos) and phono stage (Musical Surroundings Nova II) that creates a truely magical analog experience in my listening room. I invested in my analog gear cause that is what I listen to 95% of the time, so its just not the TT that makes me smile.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 16:13
Got this one last week, completes my PT reissue purchase including Deadwing. Excellent remastering job by Steven Wilson, a couple songs I prefer the 2010 Tonefloat issue, the mix is a tad better. Regardless this one is fantastic.....Both are much better than my CD version which is compressed and missing dynamics/resolution. Have I mentioned that CDs suck! LOL

Anyhow spinning this one now........

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 08:23
^I have a friend who's been buying up the Wilson/PT vinyl  , etc....I like PT and Wilson..for the most part, but can't say I'm concerned about having the vinyl.

I still play more cd than vinyl because I'm in the car to work every day...I only play some vinyl on the weekends...and not too often at night since after dinner and some tv I'm ready for bed.

The Denon I bought is a 'cheap' one...automatic ....DP300F....I wouldn't have bought it but my old direct drive Onkyo stopped working.....think the motor gave up the ghost. I know very little about high end stuff and have always bought mid priced/lower end  but from quality companies. To be honest I have heard some very good stereos in the past and the difference to me isn't worth it for my budget.

Edited by dr wu23 - April 12 2018 at 08:24
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 312>