Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 300301302303304 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 10:39
^Tubular Bells, brilliant album, never been a huge fan of Hergest Ridge. The other records shown here are great!
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 12:24
It's funny about ELP, for me......I've never been the biggest fan of ELP. I admit, I got caught up in the whole symphonic thing back in the mid 70's with ELP as it was super interesting what Keith was doing. I bought some of the early albums.....And now I own multiple copies of Tarkus (3), Trilogy (2), Pictures/Exhibition (2), ELP (3) one of these is a reel to reel version.
Basically me just on the hunt for the best sounding version on LP, problem is here in 'Merica it is very hard finding ELP in the wild with VG+ condition. Their records were played to death round these parts......

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 12:34
Quote reel to reel version
That's like a crazy expensive format but when it's a good quality tape, it's way better sonically than crackly vinyl IMO.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 15:30
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Quote reel to reel version
That's like a crazy expensive format but when it's a good quality tape, it's way better sonically than crackly vinyl IMO.
These R2R albums are just ok, they were played on not very good machines back in the day and you can experience a lot of tape drop outs. I bought it cause it was inexpensive, it sounds fine. Think of cassette tapes only being played in a car, usually not the best transports or heads they get beat up pretty good.
Now the tape dubs I make sound fantastic for sure.......I've even dubbed some CDs to tape and on occasion my ears like that better than the disc.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 16:18
So in the spirit of 'You show me yours and I'll show you mine'...Wink

Only the ELP Vinyls. I also have all associated solo/soundtrack/offshoot band stuff as well on CD. Not to mention pretty much any ELP bootleg recording (on CDR) that exists, to my knowledge.

Edited by JD - September 14 2023 at 16:19
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 17:01
I went through all my/my dad's records and cataloged them. I should post the complete alphabetized list here, or maybe in chunks
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2023 at 12:38
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

I went through all my/my dad's records and cataloged them. I should post the complete alphabetized list here, or maybe in chunks
If you added them to Discogs you can just share that link........
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2023 at 12:40
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Only the ELP Vinyls. I also have all associated solo/soundtrack/offshoot band stuff as well on CD. Not to mention pretty much any ELP bootleg recording (on CDR) that exists, to my knowledge.

I almost went to Cal Jam but was told to young Cry. I wanted to see Earth, Wind & Fire and Black Sabbath....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2023 at 21:43
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's funny about ELP, for me......I've never been the biggest fan of ELP. I admit, I got caught up in the whole symphonic thing back in the mid 70's with ELP as it was super interesting what Keith was doing. I bought some of the early albums.....And now I own multiple copies of Tarkus (3), Trilogy (2), Pictures/Exhibition (2), ELP (3) one of these is a reel to reel version.
Basically me just on the hunt for the best sounding version on LP, problem is here in 'Merica it is very hard finding ELP in the wild with VG+ condition. Their records were played to death round these parts......

Cool. I do think ELP had great artwork on all their early albums and more diverse than Yes and Genesis for instance. After BSS they seemed to give up on that side of things which was a shame. Gigers BSS will always remain my favourite for sure. Dark genius that chap and he was an ELP fan apparently.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2023 at 21:46
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I almost went to Cal Jam but was told to young Cry. I wanted to see Earth, Wind & Fire and Black Sabbath....

would love to get some of those boots, I probably have some on the Manticore box sets but its just not the same!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 10:08
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 19:28
I like the album, but haven't ordered the vinyl yet. Probably will shortly.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2023 at 06:24
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I like the album, but haven't ordered the vinyl yet. Probably will shortly.
I like it more and more. It has more layers and depth than The Future Bites, I see now how Future Bites is very shallow compared to Harmony Codex. To me I can sense how much more SW was "into" this record than the last one.
Also the production is excellent and sonically this record will make your head and ears spin, really hard to argue against Steven Wilson's mixing abilities.......
I ordered early enough I got the 4-pack of postcards as well, they are just the Burning Shed post cards focusing on  Harmony Codex themes, but nice to have.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2023 at 01:52
Ordered ELP - Live At Tokyo (1972). Great live album and insane version of Pictures. I will post a pic once I receive it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 08:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Ordered ELP - Live At Tokyo (1972). Great live album and insane version of Pictures. I will post a pic once I receive it.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 08:56

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 09:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 10:01
^How's that version of Tarkus?

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 11:17
WOW !!
Looks really, really nice. I need to know the sound quality please, is it a Soundboard recording or an Audience recording?
I have a CDR of that concert but it is an audience recording, and a best a good recording. Very clear, but a little distant sounding.  It's also missing Hoedown, but has a partial Nutrocker and Tarkus ends after Mass (only 11 minutes appearing). My Pics at an Ex is 16 min long, and there is no Piano Solo (Piano Improvisations) after Lucky Man. So I'm wondering if they are even the same concert?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 16:23
^ I think its the original Japanese broadcast version so is good quality. Everything is perfectly clear to my ears. Version of Tarkus is fully intact as is Pictures. Its all good. They did play 2 gigs in Japan so it may be that you have the other version. I am aware of a very bad video with a suspect audio track that is well circulated on the web and this is not the same as that. The only issue is the announcer talking over the beginning of Hoedown but its a small thing for me. I love this kind of live album. The band are very loose so it's not ELP quite as 'tight' as they are on other live recordings of the time but they are having a blast! I think I would put this only slightly below the Mar Y Sol Festival performance of the same year which has a similar set list but there is not a lot in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 300301302303304 312>