Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 14:08
So for those who do buy off Discogs I have to ask. What are some of the oddest comments you've seen for listings?
This one caught my eye today.

Cat#: 2GHS 4012
Media Condition: Very Good Plus (VG+) Will show some signs that it was played and otherwise handled by a previous owner who took good care of it.
Sleeve Condition: Very Good Plus (VG+)
Played it once. Mint condition basically. Will pack securely.

So which is it? If you think it's a NM (Mint can only be sealed as far as I'm concerned) then rate it NM other wise drop the 'Mint basically' comment.

Here's another one.

Good condition.
Has light hairlines but tested it and it is playable throughout it. Still meant to be enjoyed by someone!

Am I supposed to take the 'Hairline' comment as an audio reference or a visual comment. Why do I care what it's hair looks like. Receding, balding, who cares. What does it SOUND like. There are a few who adequately use audio language to describe the quality, but I would have thought a more useful nomenclature would have evolved by now.
What cues do you see most often used to describe condition?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 20:30
Mint is SEALED only (IMO). He can say NM++ but not MINT.
As far as the hairline I take that as a visual but that when he/she played it, no problems. But that of course is subjective based on gear. I would ask if there is audible of the hairline or if it only visual.

I always make offers, rarely pay list price and I only sort for NM at minimum. I always ask if any visual stuff is audible then I ask what cartridge was used to test.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 14:29
A relative came by to return some of my father's records... which included 24 Bob Dylan Albums
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 18:41
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

A relative came by to return some of my father's records... which included 24 Bob Dylan Albums

Very nice. What other albums?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 19:00
^Nothing else Notable.. some Waylon Jennings... a couple Lynyrd Skynyrd albums, (one of which was 'Platinum and Gold' which his friend scratched because he was Jealous that the Free Bird on the compilation was longer than Free Bird on the studio album.. that should be a crime)
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 12:59
Free records are good records......Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 16:34
^I bought Hapoy the Man's Crafty Hands, first pressing, in the town they formed in for $4

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 17:08
Picked up some records on my recent trip to Phoenix
The Pineapple Thief~10 Stories Down (Mint sealed)
Toto~Turn Back (VG++)
Saxon~The Eagle Has Landed-Japan pressing w/OBI (NM) 
Scorpions~Fly To the Rainbow Japan pressing w/OBI (NM)
Little Feat~Waiting For Columbus (VG++)

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 17:27
A few more new ones from my record exec connection, just in about a week ago. These, plus a few others I already had but in worse condition than these Mint Condition and NM copies.

Edited by JD - October 30 2023 at 19:44
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 21:45
Very nice indeed, can't make out the top left hand corner?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 04:39
^Billy Cobham - Best Of
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 08:43
So what do you think? Mis-keystroke or completely out to lunch?

And an article from a post on SteveHoffam Forums, in case you haven't seen it.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 09:07
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So what do you think? Mis-keystroke or completely out to lunch?

And an article from a post on SteveHoffam Forums, in case you haven't seen it.

It is a very good article and it explains a lot for why individual sellers and business owners have astronomical shipping prices.
Discogs raised prices because of tax support and privacy protection Internet costs? I don’t buy it. They are just getting greedy, cutting corners and trying to have a more cost efficient relationship with their customers. Discogs is currently charging 9% commission costs. That is insane. My god. It is no wonder my music purchases have gone way way down.

Again. Great article though. As a consumer you can certainly learn a lot here.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2023 at 14:52

Off-topic here but I'm curious, JD, how things have been going with your thoughts about maybe writing reviews in somehow 
mysterious way.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2023 at 15:06
I've done a few. Don't really have the time I'd like to make it a habit. If/when I write, I write original material like lyrics, poems or stories.

Here's a few.

Edited by JD - November 07 2023 at 15:09
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2023 at 15:54

Here's a few.

very informative, "objective" and trustworthy  Thumbs Up

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2023 at 21:56
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Here's a few.

very informative, "objective" and trustworthy  Thumbs Up

I was at that ELP - High Voltage performance and have never purchased a copy of the live album or listened to it ever again. I was happy to be there and it was a great festival, lots of brilliant bands. Shame it didn't continue. Dream Theater headlined the following year and then after a run of 2 it died. They were only selling about 50% of the capacity and it was unsustainable sadly. I did get to see the Carl Palmer band at a later festival and that was way more fun. In fact any of them playing in some solo incarnation over the last 20 years was better than ELP at High Voltage. Too many issues and Palmer refused to even consider continuing with the band any longer (don't blame him)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 03:16

If/when I write, I write original material like lyrics, poems or stories.

I'd be very happy to see some of your poems or lyrics in this thread: Poetic Pieces for the Mind and Spirit .

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 08:36
^JD I encourage you to write, as I do everyone

I've never seen that thread before, thank you for posting it!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 08:37
Recently bout this set for a bit under $40, all EX/VG+ condition

Jethro Tull 5 Vinyl Record Lot Aqualung War Child Minstrel Passion Thick ALL VG+ - Picture 1 of 20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 312>