Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 23:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Clap
Catcher10, Great album and that album cover alone makes it worthwhile to own the LP version Smile big hugHug
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 23:20
^ It's a brilliant album, haunting stories of serial killer...listening to Sides 5/6 the bonus material is amazing. Constellations and Hardcore are perfect.

Edited by Catcher10 - June 12 2015 at 23:21
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 23:29

^ It's a brilliant album, haunting stories of serial killer...listening to Sides 5/6 the bonus material is amazing. Constellations and Hardcore are perfect.
arghhh I try to block out what it is about Cry I ignored that bit. xx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 23:36
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

arghhh I try to block out what it is about Cry I ignored that bit. xx
romanticizing about killing and torturing people to me is disgusting, I did not pay notice much to the lyrics but now you pointed this out awww nooo I do not think anything about them is appealing anymore. All one has to think is to put one of your family members, mom, sister, brother or father being murdered, how would you feel if they were the victims? It's sickening.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 00:00
Music is an art form, dark, bright, happy, sad...I don't look at it as romanticizing something, more telling a story. Also remember that The Road of Bones title is drawing a reference to the Kolyma Highway in Russia, where the bones of those laborers who died were used in the foundation of the road, I think back in the 1930's during Stalin era. These were forced laborers....

The "serial killer" to me is the road.....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 03:28
Jose - you're not wrong about Constellations. Wicked, just wicked
I'm truly torn between saying TROB is a 4 or 5 star. I still prefer Ever over this.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 06:08
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

That's me if I ever get a copy of Mort Garson's Plantasia or Ascenção e Queda from Petrus Castrus... Youtube is a good friend though Smile

LOL

It was reissued for the first time two months ago, it was ripped from vinyl (there were two pops that didn't come from my record Tongue), but it has really good quality... much better than on Youtube, that's for sure Wink
LOL I know the feeling, well, with CD's in my case. Albums from Norwegian 70's prog bands is my thing. Sadly, many of them hard to come by.

Recently I struck gold though. Been on the lookout for these two for years. Big smile

Høst - På sterke vinger

Junipher Greene - Friendship
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 06:34
^ Cool! I heard of Junipher Greene but never listened to any album. How are those? Smile
The original LP copies of those are really expensive, much more than the two I mentioned Stern Smile
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 08:40
Haven't listened to the albums yet, but I've heard a few tracks from both previously and enjoyed what I heared a lot, so I have high hopes for both. Love the "På sterke vinger" tracks from the live album "Live & Unreleased" that I also have. And "Friendship" was the first Norwegian double album, so I got that for historical reasons as well.

Both play a heavy kind of prog, sounding not unlike the British bands of those days (Høst reminds me of Uriah Heep some, while JG has a bit of Tull going, amongst others), but both blend in some folk in their sound as well, making them sound unquestionably Norwegian. LOL Love those Norwegian 70's bands. Popol Ace, Prudence, Saft, Ruphus, all good.

Yeah, the LP releases of Norwegian 70's prog are pretty pricey, but at least they're available, well, most of them. The CD issues of those albums, more often than not released once in the 90's and then never again, are almost impossible to find, at least for a price I'm willing to pay.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - June 14 2015 at 10:43
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 09:52
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'm truly torn between saying TROB is a 4 or 5 star. I still prefer Ever over this.

4.5 works Clap

5 to me is a masterpiece and that rating might come in a few years once it gets some age......For sure though this is some of their best work hands down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 17:05
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Haven't listened to the albums yet, but I've heard a few tracks from both previously and enjoyed what I heared a lot, so I have high hopes for both. Love the "På sterke vinger" tracks from the live album "Live & Unreleased" that I also have. And "Friendship" was the first Norwegian double album, so I got that for historical reasons as well.

Both play a heavy kind of prog, sounding not unlike the British bands of those days (Høst reminds me of Uriah Heep some, while JG has a bit of Tull going, amongst others), but both blend in some folk in their sound as well, making them sound unquestionably Norwegian. LOL Love those Norwegian 70's bands. Popol Ace, Prudence, Saft, Ruphus, all good.

Yeah, the LP releases of Norwegian 70's prog are pretty pricey, but at least they're available, well, most of them. The CD issues of those albums, more often than not released once in the 90's and then never again, are almost impossible to find, at least for a price I'm willing to pay.
That sounds cool, I'll check them... although not anytime soon because of the polls Tongue
I also have that problem with 90's reissues being the most recent ones: the CD copies of the other album I mentioned are available for 40/50€... I won't pay that for a CD Ouch
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 01:28

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

4.5 works Clap

5 to me is a masterpiece and that rating might come in a few years once it gets some age......For sure though this is some of their best work hands down
4.5 does work !! There's not a duff moment on the album. I did like it on the first listen, just I disagreed with the amount of 'masterpiece' ratings it had - I was expecting something REALLY special, I discovered a thoroughly enjoyable, quality I.Q. release, not a masterpiece. It is getting closer with every spin though, I must say. Don't understand how some folks can rate it like that during the first days of release........some folks must be gifted.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 09:33
^ You ain't joking..nothing is a 5 in my book within year one release. Heck may take 3-5yrs for me to ever deem it a masterpiece.
I too have been enjoying it more and more. The vinyl version is just so immersing, the sounds are so big, thick and expansive. The drumming and keys are very forward and I like that a lot....but the packaging does it for me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 12:20
So no picture yet, at least of the new Rush~Hemispheres 200g remix/remaster, I played this past weekend. Holy smokes!!! I was completely blown away by the quality of sound and the pressing at QRP is brilliant!! Not a bit of surface noise, 100% clean and clear. The job Abbey Road is doing on the mastering is amazing.....My original version is still pretty good, but for sure played daily when I first bought it 1978. Side I and all the quiet passages are just that, black background.
The gatefold is just like the original version......sweet!

These issues are just getting better..IMO the only way to listen to Rush is on vinyl, I am happy!! Will post a pic soon but not much different than the original......

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 17:14
^ That's cool Cool
I just noticed the store where I bought Caress of Steel has 2112 and AFTK again but they are selling for almost the double of the original price, which is the same price on Discogs Stern Smile They have Hemispheres at the normal price though, I think I'll skip the previous two for now... why didn't I order those before? Cry
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 17:40
^ I have not read/heard that 2112 and AFTK are sold out, maybe 2112 is because it has the hologram. I do think Moving Pictures and Signals will sell out quick....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 17:55
^ Considering the prices I saw I think they sold out :/ I can already pre-order those two, so you might be right.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 01:56

^ You ain't joking..nothing is a 5 in my book within year one release. Heck may take 3-5yrs for me to ever deem it a masterpiece.
I too have been enjoying it more and more. The vinyl version is just so immersing, the sounds are so big, thick and expansive. The drumming and keys are very forward and I like that a lot....but the packaging does it for me.
Yep - agreed on all fronts. I have been guilty of deeming occasionally, very seldomly, that really 'special' album that does it for me - E.G. - MAGENTA - The Twenty-Seven Club. Every note was perfect from the first listen. Magma's Emehntehtt Re took a few years, but with the constant spinning of the vinyl release, become a 5 star for me.
Good things take time, so the saying goes.........
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 13:27
I bought some new LP's yesterday, since the local store was having a music sale.
I chose this one without knowing anything about the music, except for the information on the LP. It's a pretty good Dutch Psych/Folk album from the 60's with lots of orchestral arrangements and some influences from the 30/40's Smile

I also bought this odd Maiden boxset that only comes with the first three, I'll have to get the others to complete it Tongue It was really cheap, I got those for 12€ each Thumbs Up

poeghost View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poeghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 16:45
I rarely find interesting and nice shape LP records in garage sales anymore, but I did find these recently!

Tower of Power – Bump City
Alan Parsons Project – I Robot
Wishbone Ash – Pilgrimage
The Who – Quadrophenia
Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 312>