Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 16:35
^ That vinyl looks OUTRAGEOUS !!
Crowded House = Neil Finn (and sometimes brother Tim), later Enz drummer Paul Hester (who sadly took his own life a few years ago.....) and non-Enz newbie Nick Seymour on bass.
Schnell Fenster = early Enz eccentric Phil Judd, Enz drummer/percussionist Noel Crombie, and Enz bassist Nigel Griggs (who replaced Jonathan M. Chunn in '77).
Both bands play sophisticated Pop songs, and Crowded House enjoyed massive popularity, SF not so much, bar the single 'Whisper', which almost disappeared as soon as it appeared.
But for now, I indulge in Iron Maiden.........Somewhere In Time onto the TT
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 17:42
^ It sure is Big smile
From the Mental Notes I can tell they have enough people to form two bands Tongue
I listened to "Whisper" and it didn't ring a bell. I guess in the Pop business if you don't create a catchy tune you'll easily disappear Ermm
I don't have that Maiden album on CD or vinyl. I'm still trying to get used to their music on vinyl: I always listened to them on CD while riding the bus or driving, so listening to them without moving feels strange LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 18:33
^ No such thing as " listening to Maiden without moving " - I mean, your head is going most of the time
SiT is top-shelf Metal, and it's full of Prog traits.
Killers too, another I've neglected over the years.
Over the years, I've often reached for the excellent debut, Powerslave, and Fear Of The Dark onwards. The remaining ones I just haven't given much (if any) time for. Now, on the Maiden-fest..........I have 13 Maiden vinyls, most of the others on tape - Beast, Prayer, Real Live/Real Dead, Live After Death........and I don't have Maiden Japan at all. I just dug out an official VHS that I bought from K-Mart in the late-80's of a Di'anno performance from 1981. Must be over 20 years since I've watched it. Time to change that.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 06:46
^ True LOL
I've neglected Killers too, it's still unopened Tongue
They have so many albums and most are great, it's difficult to give them all a listen Ermm
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 07:33
Some new albums I listened this week:

Quite a different album from them, but not bad at all. Squire's bass work is awesome Thumbs Up I remember it's Argo's favourite Yes album, I wonder what happened to him Ermm

This one is not easy to listen: besides the lenght of the album, PG sings soooo much on this album and there are not many instrumental parts, it's exhausting Ouch

I bought the new vinyl reissue of Gilmour's "On An Island". I love that album, it's my favourite Floyd solo album, but didn't have a copy of it and this vinyl sounds great Smile
It also comes with this really cool poster Wink

Never saw him with a Gibson before Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2015 at 18:38
I have been on vacation with the wife, Mediterranean cruise and a week in Barcelona. Did some vinyl shopping yesterday at a store called Revolver Records, there are probably 4-5 stores in line right off the Rambla. This is the only one I found that would mail the albums to my home. I got a few that I had not seen before.
Dream Theater - Puppies On Acid 2-LP Live vinyl issue.
Steven Wilson - Transience
Can - Live limited edition
Marillion - Afraid/Sunlight
1-2 more I can't remember right now....I would have had to pay shipping anyway, and these were all new issues.

Short post..going home tomorrow.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 17:16
I also, while gone, received my Peter Gabriel box set of PG 1-4. These are the newly remastered editions cut to 45RPM and half-speed remastered. I just spun Side 1 of PG-1 and OMG, the sound is jaw-dropping...Clean, fluid and simply gorgeous! I am not a big fan of 45RPM LPs since the play time is only about 20min per side..but the sound quality more than makes up for that.

I will post pics over the weekend and more on the other albums.....too much fun!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 17:47
^^ Cool! I hope the cruise was great Smile I saw that Steven Wilson LP after the concert but since it was a compilation I didn't buy it. For once, I bought a t-shirt instead LOL

^ Good to know they are awesome! Waiting for the pics... Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 17:56

I finally gave it a listen, I was missing a great album. I love the raw energy and the awesome bass work Thumbs Up

I received this week, this Portuguese Jazz Rock/Fusion classic album. It's the most expensive album I ever bought but still bellow the average price in its condition. It was worth it Big smile

I'll see Riverside tomorrow, I hope there will be some nice LPs there Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 08:55
RIVERSIDE!!!!!!!!! OMG I hate you!!!!! Been wanting to see them for past 5-6yrs. All their LPs are mastered excellently for vinyl, I don't have the new one yet, been too busy to order it. But all of them are outstanding on vinyl.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 09:15
Don't hate me, I'm not special like you! Tongue It's the second time they'll play here, I think the first time was 5 years ago. Great, I'll have to get their best albums on vinyl then.
I advise you to listen to the new one before buying it, it's not Prog nor Metal Ermm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 09:41
I have had ZERO chances to see them, they do not come to the USA often....I have the digital download of the album and I agree, it's more indie type rock to me. I know they like to explore but I would prefer more prog metal sound from them.

I don't like the Lunatic Soul albums much at all....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 09:47
You could have stayed a few more days in Barcelona, they'll play there next Sunday Tongue

I liked the new Lunatic Soul more than the new Riverside album, but it's probably because I wasn't expecting anything Metal from it.

Edited by Meltdowner - October 30 2015 at 10:00
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 10:47
^ Shut up!!!!
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 11:43
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Some new albums I listened this week:

Certainly an underrated album, I especially love 'Release, Release'. Really like the drum solo.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 20:54
I have listened to PG I and II....I can't express how amazing these issues sound. I keep replaying "Humdrum" on Side II of PG I, the vocals are so alive and right in my room, I can picture Peter standing in my room, so good. So far all the reviews I have read regarding SQ and pressing quality are glowing and I have to agree, these pressings are impeccable...
The bass guitar, the kick drum are deep and full with wonderful air around all the sounds, the sustain of the piano on the jazzy "Waiting for the Big One", I can't say I experienced the same feelings on the original issue let alone the CD version Dead.

I'm really glad I pulled the trigger on this 4-set package couple months ago when these were first announced, checking the website all issues are sold out and I suspect awaiting a new print run.

Looking like a great weekend of spinning wax at 45RPM....

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 21:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I also, while gone, received my Peter Gabriel box set of PG 1-4. These are the newly remastered editions cut to 45RPM and half-speed remastered. I just spun Side 1 of PG-1 and OMG, the sound is jaw-dropping...Clean, fluid and simply gorgeous! I am not a big fan of 45RPM LPs since the play time is only about 20min per side..but the sound quality more than makes up for that.

I will post pics over the weekend and more on the other albums.....too much fun!

I thought (and vaguely recall) the average time for an LP was 20 mins per side. Even though only going at 33 1/3.

heh, someone sometime is going to put one of these on at the, um, normal speed.... Moribund indeed...

:)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 22:11
^ It depends, for example TAAB is like 22min per side, while I have some vinyl at 25-27min per side and some 33RPM which only has 15-17min per side.

Each PG LP has 2-3 songs per side.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 14:30
All the albums are fantastic sounding.....but so far III (Melt) sounds the best...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 14:40
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Certainly an underrated album, I especially love 'Release, Release'. Really like the drum solo.
Yeah, great track! I liked the drum solo but I don't think the cheering sounds were a good background Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 312>