Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 05:00
Definitely worth the investment Big smile It was good to finally know what the title track is about, since I can't understand most of what he sings LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 05:05
^ I don't recall Geddy ever 'growling' !?!? 😜
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 05:13
^ The high-pitched vocals have the same effect Tongue It's easier to understand on calmer parts though.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 05:23
'Tears' was the only thing I ever liked on 2112.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 05:33
Great track, I love the Mellotron Approve This one was the first album I heard from them, a neighbour introduced it to me and I didn't know any Prog back then, but I was already into Led Zeppelin. I guess I discovered them at the right time Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 13:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Evolutionary Sleeper Evolutionary Sleeper wrote:

Scored these today~ 

Aphex Twin - Syro
Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound - When Sweet Sleep Returned
Sade - Promise

Got the first two for EXCELLENT prices! :D

There is just something about Sade.....her voice, looks...yea something Tongue. Somewhere in another box I have a couple of her earlier albums
f**k my Ol' boots - Jose, you dig Sade ?? Loved her since 1984. Got all albums (bar the 2010 release) on vinyl !! Also their 2 stunning live DVD's. Love Deluxe is an insanely beautiful album. She has a gorgeous voice and a wonderful band. Paul Spencer Denman is a great bassist, can be real jazz/funk at times. There is an offshoot worth checking out called 'Sweetback'. Just choice, chill tunes. I don't think many Proggers are into the band. They are so much more than the radio hits you hear.

I don't even remember which albums I have....but her voice is pretty dope!

BTW: Screw the "proggers"..they have no clue what great vocals are.... LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - November 12 2015 at 13:45
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 17:27
2 record stores in this little town near me.....both sell used vinyl.
All used in very good condition:
Brand x- Unorthodox Behavior
Cat Stevens- Mona Bone Jakon
Gentle Giant- Interview
Strawbs-Bursting At The Seams
Lucifers Friend- Where The Groupies Killed The Blues
Spooky Tooth- It's All About (import on pink label....that's cool since I live in the USA.)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 19:18
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Gentle Giant- Interview
Spooky Tooth- It's All About (import on pink label....that's cool since I live in the USA.)

Nice haul......
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 20:32
^^ Yeah, neat pick-ups, esp. Lucifer's Friend - only copy I ever saw is the one I bought years ago, on the cool Passport label.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 08:45

Gentle Giant- Interview

Nice haul......

Thanks...you guys talking about vinyl has rekindled my interest so I have been cking out his place and another jus a few miles from my office. They both have a fair amount of known prog but most I already own so now I'm looking for the oddball things like Lucifer's Friend and that first Spooky Tooth...etc. Got the Lucifer for only $10.00...the Spooky Tooth was $50.00 but I traded him my copy of Strawberry Alarm Clock first LP and Ultimate Spinach-Behold...he let me also have the others way marked down since he's become a friend...and gave me a free copy of Wakeman Myths and Legends of King Arthur.
Smile

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 08:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^^ Yeah, neat pick-ups, esp. Lucifer's Friend - only copy I ever saw is the one I bought years ago, on the cool Passport label.

Yep...the one I just bought is also on Passport PPSD98008.....also says Billingsgate in the upper right corner with a cool logo. This copy is near mint...with the lyric sheet enclosed, shrink wrap still on but opened,  and looks like whoever owned it never bothered to play it very often. Go figure....apparently they weren't into weird prog rock.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 16:59
Friday Music, Half Speed Mastering by Joe Reagoso

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 17:03

Gentle Giant- Interview

Nice haul......

Thanks...you guys talking about vinyl has rekindled my interest so I have been cking out his place and another jus a few miles from my office. They both have a fair amount of known prog but most I already own so now I'm looking for the oddball things like Lucifer's Friend and that first Spooky Tooth...etc. Got the Lucifer for only $10.00...the Spooky Tooth was $50.00 but I traded him my copy of Strawberry Alarm Clock first LP and Ultimate Spinach-Behold...he let me also have the others way marked down since he's become a friend...and gave me a free copy of Wakeman Myths and Legends of King Arthur.
Smile

I have found used record store owners are as much into music as we may be, sometimes more so as they know of so much other stuff in different genres, not just this crappy prog stuff. LOL

They are also willing to wheel and deal, in the spirit of elevating music on vinyl, it's not just music you have in common but also a media that is quite fun to be in.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 09:32

Gentle Giant- Interview

Nice haul......

Smile

I have found used record store owners are as much into music as we may be, sometimes more so as they know of so much other stuff in different genres, not just this crappy prog stuff. LOL

They are also willing to wheel and deal, in the spirit of elevating music on vinyl, it's not just music you have in common but also a media that is quite fun to be in.

Part of the fun for me is just going there and talking about music even if I don't find anything that day.
There are always several people in there and usually we all get into a discussion about bands and music.
Beats watching reruns on tv.
Smile
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 12:16
^ Very true...Dr Wu Tongue

One of the record stores I go to he is also an audio dealer, sells real nice stuff, bought my speakers from him. So we usually end up talking audio gear as well as vinyl and music..
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 21:43
So these two albums showed up today....

This one is one of my best sounding CDs I own, simply because Ted Jensen @ Sterling Sound mastered the original recording, it has everything good..most everything. The sound is excellent, the bass is very good....Now I have it on vinyl, pressed by Pallas in Germany. Has everything the CD version does but a few additions. Firstly the bass is deeper, it is quieter but you can feel the hits on the bass guitar and kick drum, the main addition is the vinyl has a huge sound stage!! It is so wide and 3-D, very holographic sounds emanating from behind the speakers and wrapping the room. The CD is more focused in front of me sounding.....This vinyl is one of those holy krapp moments.

This one I wanted simply because Steven Wilson remixed the original recording, everything I have read is the mix is outstanding, all true......I always thought the original recording was pretty good, but it was thin in the lowend. Not anymore, Steven added the low end the music needed, which never happened on any of the CD versions, I suspect the CD version of this SW remix has it too.
Besides my original album has been played more than enough, it was time for a new copy.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 11:46
^^ You guys are lucky, having record stores near you. Fortunately some stores brought records to festivals I went to Smile

^ I don't remember the last time I listened to that Clapton album. I started playing the guitar 13 years ago, thanks to that album Thumbs Up I should get myself a copy someday.

After reading that comparative study, I'm sure you made the right choice Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 15:06
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^ You guys are lucky, having record stores near you. Fortunately some stores brought records to festivals I went to Smile

^ I don't remember the last time I listened to that Clapton album. I started playing the guitar 13 years ago, thanks to that album Thumbs Up I should get myself a copy someday.

After reading that comparative study, I'm sure you made the right choice Big smile

These were some I bought online....from SoundStage Direct, they always have good coupons. My local store has the Tull album for $5 more....I am thinking of getting Tull~Minstrel/Gallery also remixed by Wilson.

The Clapton album is killer good
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 16:10
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 16:53
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Where did you find a B&W copy...bet it's expensive Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 312>