Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 155156157158159 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 03:09
^ Selections par excellence.........
Just arrived today - MESHUGGAH - Alive 2 LP ; record 1 is black, record 2 is white. Sounds too awesome. Just love these guys' sound and composition. Unlike anything else I've heard (which isn't much tbh).
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 08:10
^Awesome! Also, Meshuggah is one of those bands in which the vinyls wind up practically being investments. Even a recent release like 'Koloss' has gone up considerably in value since 2012. Hell, the 'Chaosphere' 2 LP is currently worth over $500!Shocked
I know it's all about the music, but it's still nice to own music that's worth more than what you spent on it...feels goodTongue
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 08:54
Cool LP's Cool

I bought Fire! Orchestra's "Second Exit" after their concert last July for 20€ and it's already worth 50€ Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 12:34
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

^Awesome! Also, Meshuggah is one of those bands in which the vinyls wind up practically being investments. Even a recent release like 'Koloss' has gone up considerably in value since 2012. Hell, the 'Chaosphere' 2 LP is currently worth over $500!Shocked
I know it's all about the music, but it's still nice to own music that's worth more than what you spent on it...feels goodTongue
I noticed Chaosphere and Catch 33, even ObZen being worth a packet these days. I have Koloss, I , now Alive, and waiting for an original of Contradictions Collapse. They are generally limited to 350 copies. Doubt I'll get the others on LP coz I'm not rich......
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 20:02
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 12:53
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Welcome back!!! Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 13:01
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Got in the mail a couple of metal albums. I'm finding that not only do they tend to go nuts on the packaging for new releases, but they often accumulate in value pretty fast. 

The Obscura was a no-brainer since I'm quite a fan, but I wasn't initially planning on getting the Sirenia one until I discovered that their previous vinyl (which I own) recently quintupled in value from the 23 bucks I payed for it. That one came with a poster too. Love that cover but I do think the poster would've worked better in landscape format.
I almost wish I bought two, one to keep and one to sell, but I don't know; I'd feel like a scalper in a way. Maybe if my tastes change someday...

The Obscura is three sides as well, with a neat etch design for side D. I wish more new releases did that, especially those about an hour long.

I so wish I was into this type of metal......The vinyl is to die for as is the packaging!! Reason they jump so much in value is these tend to be small to medium runs of vinyl and then they are gone. The appreciation in value is justified.....I get emails from Century Media (cmdistro.com) and they have awesome looking metal rekkids Thumbs Up

Edited by Catcher10 - February 17 2016 at 13:02
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 15:57
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Is this the new album?
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 19:51
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I so wish I was into this type of metal......The vinyl is to die for as is the packaging!! Reason they jump so much in value is these tend to be small to medium runs of vinyl and then they are gone. The appreciation in value is justified.....I get emails from Century Media (cmdistro.com) and they have awesome looking metal rekkids Thumbs Up

So true, even some metal sub-genres I'm not so big on put out seriously tempting platters. There's a Blut Aus Nord vinyl for "The Desanctification" and the packaging is to die for (plus it's blue vinyl), but I probably wouldn't play it much if at all. 

Speaking of colored vinyls, Newbury Comics has been selling exclusive colored vinyl editions of some albums. Mostly indie stuff and jazz, but a few classic rock albums as well (no major prog ones that I know of...not really the Newbury Comics "scene" I guess). A couple of months ago I got a CCR blue vinyl of "Willy & the Poorboys" (sorry for the blurry shot...stupid phone).

I already owned an old copy of "Green River" so Iinitially passed on the green vinyl, but last Sunday there was a 25% off vinyls in their stores so I gave in and also bought a red double album Lush compilation.

Turns out it was a good buy as these CCR vinyls really are limited and the Green River is going for $34 minimum at discogs when I just payed $15 for it at the store with the discount. SweetCool
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 20:17
^ Nice!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 20:56
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 09:22
Yep its the new one last recording by Daevid AND its excellent 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 08:15
^ Good to know Thumbs Up

I got a couple of excellent recent Italian Prog albums last week. Two good sounding and good looking LP's from Black Widow Records Smile Thanks Tom for recommending these Handshake

Dobby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 08:49
Did anyone happen to see this "Vinyl" on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp) yesterday?

I heard an add for it during the week and checked last night, but nothing.

Perhaps it was for CBC tv (not radio).

It was not the Zweig docu they were talking about. No idea. Could be for vinyl siding for all  know.

(There is a "Vinyl" movie that is about this rock group and has precious little to do with vinyl. Perhaps it was that.)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:31
Originally posted by Dobby Dobby wrote:

Did anyone happen to see this "Vinyl" on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp) yesterday?

I heard an add for it during the week and checked last night, but nothing.

Perhaps it was for CBC tv (not radio).

It was not the Zweig docu they were talking about. No idea. Could be for vinyl siding for all  know.

(There is a "Vinyl" movie that is about this rock group and has precious little to do with vinyl. Perhaps it was that.)

Are you talking about the HBO series called "Vinyl"? If so I watched the first episode and it is about the music industry in the 70's.....A lot of drugs and sex and harsh language, it was ok but not sure I will watch them much with the family. Probably catch them On Demand
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:35
^^^  Great albums, Sam. 
I only have those two on CD but I'm going to have to make a decision about vinyl soon.

Edited by TeleStrat - February 22 2016 at 10:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:43
^ The label no longer has vinyl copies of Il Tempio Delle Clessidre's debut. I immediately bought it (and the other one) from a seller on Discogs, before others notice that and the price increases.
Dobby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:53
That HBO sounds interesting.

The "Vinyl" movie: "After a booze-fueled jam session, Johnny Jones and his old band-mates from the once revered The Weapons of Happiness come up with a great new pop punk single. The problem is that no one is interested in re-signing a bunch of aging rock stars. But Johnny's not one to quit easily. And he has a plan that will reveal the sham that the music industry has become."

Our local library has the DVD, but I won't be watching it.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:57
^^ I'm going to do some searching. Thumbs Up
My situation is that since I recently started buying vinyl I'm running out of room on my vinyl shelves.
I have quite a few albums on order now (18 LPs) and when they all arrive the shelves will be full.

Edited by TeleStrat - February 22 2016 at 10:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 11:13
You're getting claustrophobic? Tongue I was relieved when I put my collection on a bigger shelf, two weeks ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 155156157158159 312>