Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:00
That's a great haul at the record fair......We don't get those around here. There are some pretty big ones in Southern California, some put on by colleges to raise money.

I look for estate sales, but there has not been much vinyl lately. The kids are keeping the albums now adays.....damn kids LOL.

I have not been buying much, trying to spend time listening. Last night I spent about 3 hours straight listening, pulling out stuff I had not spun in awhile.

Tons of fun!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:29
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I have the 1976 version on Sire Records. The first disc is Side A and Side D and the second one is Side B and Side C.  On the back of the cover the sides are listed in order;  A, B, C, D.

I have several dbl LP sets that are A/D and B/C.....this was done for the old style record changers. You stack them and they drop and play, then just flip both. My Quadrophenia set is this way.....
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:38
^  I can remember turntables with the tall spindle and the arm that swung over and held the stack in place.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:42
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Are all the copies of the Renaissance album incorrectly made that way, Sam? For some reason I seem to think I have two copies of this on vinyl, not sure if either of them are US pressings, though.

Hmm, might give that Camel album a spin tonight. Never a favourite album of theirs for me, in fact I barely seem to ever make through the whole thing. I always thought that `Down on the Farm' (I think that's what it's called off the top of my head) sounded absurd on it! Absurd on a Camel album, but it would have been right at home on a Caravan album!
I don't know but it's not incorrectly made, it's made for stackable turntables. This way it can play two sides, one after the other.

I think "Starlight Ride" and "Rainbow's End" are worse than that one, even if "Down on the Farm" doesn't make sense on that album.

I have the 1976 version on Sire Records. The first disc is Side A and Side D and the second one is Side B and Side C.  On the back of the cover the sides are listed in order;  A, B, C, D.
That's the one I have too.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:50
Sam, I just finished listening to `Breathless' again. I now have the opinion that pretty much every track is good on it EXCEPT that wretched `Rainbow's End'! What an awful tune, especially those falsetto spots in the chorus! Easily as bas as the poorest moments of `I Can See Your House...' and `The Single Factor'. I'd probably rate `Starlight Ride' as more bland than outright bad, forgettable but listenable. I don't love it, but I wouldn't skip it either.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:51

^  I can remember turntables with the tall spindle and the arm that swung over and held the stack in place.

That be the ones.....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:53
^^ Yes, "Starlight Ride" is listenable but it's the second worse, in my opinion... at least they were nice to put the worst tracks at the end of each side LOL

Edited by Meltdowner - April 18 2016 at 13:54
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 14:35
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That be the ones.....

My parents had one like this in the 60s. I played many British Invasion albums on it but always one at a time.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 16:26
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^ I'm always surprised about how you can find such obscure European albums in Australia. The record fairs I go to are so much boring and predictable then yours LOL

I rarely seem to find anything really good at record fairs these days. There's always plenty of overpriced copies of albums that are no better than good condition and being sold at the excellent condition price or more! I need to get to some of the V.I.P. fairs in the Uk but they're always way down south from where I live. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 16:52

That be the ones.....

My parents had one like this in the 60s. I played many British Invasion albums on it but always one at a time.

We had one from Monkeywards......with no TV though.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 17:21
^    My parents got theirs at Sears. Some people here might not know what Monkeywards is.  Smile

(I worked at the one in Norwalk in the late sixties. It was recently torn down and there's a Target now)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 01:34
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I think no one would mind a CD in the middle of so many LP's Tongue

Two more LP's I bought last month (I've been going through them slowly, otherwise I'd want more vinyl right away LOL):

The only Camel album I didn't have between the debut and "Nude". The album is nice (except for the last track which I skipped) and Sinclair's bass work is the best thing on it, which is enhanced on this German pressing Wink

US pressing of Renaissance's classic live album. The first disc has sides 1/4 and the second 2/3 and since I didn't have any of these before I played it in the wrong order LOL 
A) -,Sinclair is in fine form on Breathless, especially Echoes. Very good album, indeed.
B) - the side 1/4 and 2/3 indicates an original pressing, designed for playing on an automatic juke-box type player (or something) - I have a few albums like this and discussed it way early in this vinyl thread - there was a method to the odd layout, it isn't an error.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 10:18

^    ...... Some people here might not know what Monkeywards is.  Smile

)

Oh man...haven't heard that name in a long while.....I used to eat lunch at their lunch counter back in the mid 70's....when I worked in the city.

We also had one of those wood cabinet stereo things.....no tv,  just the turntable and am fm radio part.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 12:30

^    My parents got theirs at Sears. Some people here might not know what Monkeywards is.  Smile

(I worked at the one in Norwalk in the late sixties. It was recently torn down and there's a Target now)

They can Google it.......LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 12:31
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I rarely seem to find anything really good at record fairs these days. There's always plenty of overpriced copies of albums that are no better than good condition and being sold at the excellent condition price or more! I need to get to some of the V.I.P. fairs in the Uk but they're always way down south from where I live. 
I hear you. I thought anywhere in the UK was better than here vinyl-wise Tongue

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

A) -,Sinclair is in fine form on Breathless, especially Echoes. Very good album, indeed.
"Echoes" is easily the best track on it but "Summer Lightning" and "The Sleeper" are great ones too.

Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 10:17
Latest flea market finds...

Some French artists here, Malicorne, Alan Stivell (great folk/celtic music), Véronique Sanson, Renaud...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 10:42
^ Nice!!! I think I had that Renaud album many yrs ago......It may still be in a box. Also that Eagles album is one of the best albums ever recorded with the pop rock category, brilliant album.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 11:21

^ Nice!!! I think I had that Renaud album many yrs ago......It may still be in a box. Also that Eagles album is one of the best albums ever recorded with the pop rock category, brilliant album.

Renaud is famous in French for, let's say, his funny lyrics Wink

This Eagles is not my favourite but it's a great album!!
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 23:39
Got Acabab for $3 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 03:36
Today's early flea market finds :

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 312>