Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 168169170171172 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 18:29
Again, his solo works of the past 20 years has been dedicated to the blues and the roots of his music influences. Paying tribute to R Johnson, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley. His renditions of these artists is outstanding and keeps this music in front of young people. None of these blues artists sang well or really even good, it was the passion in the music and their playing that makes the blues what it is.

To get the best out of his tributes gotta listen to MTV Unplugged.....This one is Alberta by Mississippi Sheiks from the 1930's. Again, there has to be a deep liking for the blues, or this will not resonate with you.

Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2016 at 09:49
If I may toot my own horn in this thread:

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 13:38
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 18:07
[&amp;#8203;IMG]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 12:26
New reissue of 1981 album by Heldon guy.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 13:34
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Again, his solo works of the past 20 years has been dedicated to the blues and the roots of his music influences. Paying tribute to R Johnson, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley. His renditions of these artists is outstanding and keeps this music in front of young people. None of these blues artists sang well or really even good, it was the passion in the music and their playing that makes the blues what it is.

I think most of us who have  blues and blues rock  in our collections know this well...but imo his fire is gone and he has been coasting for a long time.
There are some nice moments on those 'blues' albums he has done over the last 30 years but imho ,roots notwithstanding, he has never equaled what he did in the early days. ....especially with Mayall and Allman.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 15:01
^ I'm good with that.....The early Mayall stuff is great music for sure. But for all early artists that is when the fire was brightest, especially in the late 60's early 70's.

He is not issuing original material much at all, more of the music that made him who he is, renditions that bring those 30s/40s artists to the front.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 15:06
Just received from across the pond.....
These guys are getting better and better with every album. The music and production are really hitting some highs. The sound is very refined, the singing has always been excellent, they are putting out some great music.

The mix and mastering is fantastic, especially for vinyl. The levels are not pushed at all, the bass is excellent. I have not compared the accompanying CD yet.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 16:15
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

New reissue of 1981 album by Heldon guy.

Oooh, where the heck did you get onto that ?? Been searching for years for a copy........
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 16:16

Just received from across the pond.....
These guys are getting better and better with every album. The music and production are really hitting some highs. The sound is very refined, the singing has always been excellent, they are putting out some great music.

The mix and mastering is fantastic, especially for vinyl. The levels are not pushed at all, the bass is excellent. I have not compared the accompanying CD yet.

Jose, how does this new album stack up against The Mountain ?? The Mountain is a monumental album for me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 16:31
^ So far LP 1 is brilliant...right up there. It has a mid 70's feel to the sound. If you watched the sneak peek to this album Haken put out, it is done as a cassette tape.
The Architect is outstanding.....15min of Haken goodness!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 17:15
^^ The last 4 songs on LP2 are also fantastic, traditional Haken sound but much more refined playing....You can tell the sound is maturing.

Cannot make a comparison yet to The Mountain.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 17:52
^ sounds promising......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 13:44
This is good news for us vinyl lovers.......Finding VG+ issues of Pink Floyd is not only very tough but when you do they are very expensive. I could use new copies of Meddle, Umamma LOL and Saucerful of Secrets.

If these are mastered by Guthrie and cut by Grundman they should be very good......I am hoping they are as good as the Rush reissues.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 14:43
^^ I see you are thrilled about the album again, sorry about that the other day, I'm very picky when it comes to Metal Tongue

^ I saw that, I don't know why they didn't reissued them sooner, it seemed like an obvious cash making campaign LOL I don't know if I'll get any, I don't listen to them often these days, since I overplayed many of their albums some years ago. Besides, I'm happy with the 2011 CD reissues I have, some of the best sounding CD's I have. I'd love to have their Surround mixes without having to buy the Immersion box sets though.

It's actually true......when my collection was close to 800-900 I found it daunting task to play something, you always go back to your favs. Some of the obscure albums get played on occasion, when in that obscure moment. The impulse vinyl buys.."just because I want it.." generally for me did not get spun much. And then you really need to have a love for about 3-4 different genres of music.

After losing quite a few boxes of vinyl in several house moves, I do find that my 450 album collection is a good number. When I think hard about it, I might play on regular rotation 50% of that. This does not mean I will stop buying vinyl, it only means that I am more picky about what I buy.....I mean I don't need 4 copies of CTTE or 3 copies of Miles Davis Kind of Blue. As long as I have a good clean copy I am happy, nothing like a sh*tty vinyl to mess up your stylus Thumbs Down.
I already try not to buy LP's I know I'll barely play (although that happens sometimes Tongue). I don't have repeated albums but I'd probably try to sell the weaker version. For mediocre albums I think the CD is enough, I'm not interested in spending more money/space on these... unless it's cheaper on vinyl LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael P. Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 15:49
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Oooh, where the heck did you get onto that ?? Been searching for years for a copy........

It was just reissued for Record Store Day by Souffle Continu in France. I got it from Wayside, but they seem to be out of stock on the vinyl at the moment. You can still order it direct from http://www.soufflecontinurecords.com .

Eleh & Tara Jane O'Neil - split LP. Very minimalist, both sides based on the sounds of gongs, physical and synthesized.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 01:48
Here's a curious thing : a little while back I acquired MOTORPSYCHO's Behind The Sun. Side 1 is quite a novelty - a) there's no tracklist as such, b) it has a groove, c) plonk the arm down and there's a tune. Wow, you might say. Then play the side again, and VOILA !! A different tune gets played . This freaked me out. I don't know how theys did it, but theys did it
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 01:53
Tom, did you end up getting the LP of Haken's `Restoration'? It was a 30 plus minute EP comprised of remakes of earlier pieces/demos, etc, and I thought it was much better than `The Mountain' (half as long and much more engaging without bottoming out at the half-way point! ). I got that from Greg a year or so back.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 04:42
^^ Discogs says the first side has parallel grooves, neither tracks are included on the CD. Damn, I have that one on CD Ouch
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 05:23
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Tom, did you end up getting the LP of Haken's `Restoration'? It was a 30 plus minute EP comprised of remakes of earlier pieces/demos, etc, and I thought it was much better than `The Mountain' (half as long and much more engaging without bottoming out at the half-way point! ). I got that from Greg a year or so back.
No, I only have The Mountain, which I love to bits. Am I missing something ??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 168169170171172 312>