Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 196197198199200 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 19:26
^Fairport Convention 1968-1970 all albums are worth getting i.e.

1. Fairport Convention 1968....UK's answer to Jefferson Airplane...2 lead vocalists Ian Matthews and Judy Dyble
2. What We Did On Our Holidays 1968...Judy Dyble goes and Sandy Denny enters the fold
3. Unhalfbricking 1969...Ian Matthews leaves before the recording
4. Leige and Lief 1969...an absolute seminal album 5 big stars ..I still regularly come back to it. ENORMOUS
5. Full House 1970...Sandy has gone to form Fotheringay with future husband Trevor Lucas...but this is also a very good album.

Richard Thompson leaving in '71 had an enormous impact on the band and they never got back to anything that was as good as these above 5 albums, however a later album "Nine" is well worth a listen.

Steeleye Span were formed by Ashley Hutchings who left Fairport after Leige and Lief.....personally I cannot stand Steeleye Span they were/are way too "diddly, diddly, diddly" for me and Maddy Prior's nasal, folk vocals really grates (IMHO).
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 19:52
A couple of early UFO imports...

UFO - 1   (1970)

UFO - Live  (1971)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 20:14
Wigwam - Nuclear Nightclub  (1975)

Uno - Uno  (1974)   feat. Danilo Rustici  (Nova, Citta Frontale, Osanna)
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 03:23

Twisted Sister, Ratt. Wink
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 07:19
A few more oldies...

Khan - Space Shanty   (1972)

Message - Synapse  (1976)

Nine Days Wonder - Only The Dancers  (1974)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 12:35
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

^Fairport Convention 1968-1970 all albums are worth getting i.e.

1. Fairport Convention 1968....UK's answer to Jefferson Airplane...2 lead vocalists Ian Matthews and Judy Dyble
2. What We Did On Our Holidays 1968...Judy Dyble goes and Sandy Denny enters the fold
3. Unhalfbricking 1969...Ian Matthews leaves before the recording
4. Leige and Lief 1969...an absolute seminal album 5 big stars ..I still regularly come back to it. ENORMOUS
5. Full House 1970...Sandy has gone to form Fotheringay with future husband Trevor Lucas...but this is also a very good album.

Richard Thompson leaving in '71 had an enormous impact on the band and they never got back to anything that was as good as these above 5 albums, however a later album "Nine" is well worth a listen.

Steeleye Span were formed by Ashley Hutchings who left Fairport after Leige and Lief.....personally I cannot stand Steeleye Span they were/are way too "diddly, diddly, diddly" for me and Maddy Prior's nasal, folk vocals really grates (IMHO).

I agree...all of the early Fairport is great folk rock....imho I like them better than Span or the other bands though it is always a matter of taste. Richard Thompson is great on guitar.
The early Sandy Denny is also worth having as well as Fotheringay.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 13:58
Arctic - Arctic

Earthless / Harsh Toke  (split LP)

Palm Desert - Rotten Village Sessions 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 14:32
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Twisted Sister, Ratt. Wink

Love Ratt!! Saw them in their super early days in So Cal on the Strip, the best of the glam metal bands! I have that Ratt EP, mine is an original issue on the Enigma label.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 15:10
One of my fav albums of this genre, great cover and I also still have the Ratt video order form that came in the album...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 16:52
Friday Music reissue, 1/2 speed remaster by Joe Reagoso

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 13:43
Hair Of The Dog - Hair Of The Dog

Hair Of The Dog - The Siren's Song
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 15:35
Funny story about this Immolation album. I blind bought it when it came out,being a fan of some of their earlier albums and digging the colored vinyl, but when I first listened to it I was dumbstruck. It was so cavernous and downtuned much lower than the norm from them (usually it's around C, for this album we're talking G# or something). The vocals were guttural to inhuman levels as well. It was during the third track, which sounded like demented funeral doom, when I realized that the LPs were actually meant to be played at 45 rpm. Up until then I was debating whether to sell it or not...whew!

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 16:13
^  Being old school is pretty simple, big records are 33 1/3 and little records are 45.
When I started collecting new vinyl I quickly learned that was not always true. 
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 16:42
Yep...although at least with bands in which the singer 'sings', realizing that the wrong rpm is being utilized is usually quickly apparent. With pure growler types it actually took awhile.Sleepy

^^^^^I used to have the first three Ratt albums (including the EP) on vinyl, thanks to that Columbia "Ten albums for a penny!" deal or whatever it was in the middle of TV Guide mags. I was like 14 or something...my parents weren't amused when all those records showed up. Listening to them lately on Spotify, gotta say Out of the Cellar still kicks, love "She Wants Money" especially.Tongue

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 16:57
Some of the glam / hair bands I listened to regularly back then were Skid Row, Lynch Mob, Motley Crue, Tesla, Judas Priest and Mr. Big.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 07:05
Grails - The Burden Of Hope

Grails - Redlight

Grajo - Grajo 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 07:14
Secret Oyster - Straight To The Krankenhaus   (1977)

Secret Oyster - Sea Son   (1974)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 10:15
Shopping yesterday at Silver Platters in Bellevue.....Most of what they have is new sealed records, which is fine. I have been looking for a few of these as new anyhow, the Can Flowmotion was a surprise to see in the bin.

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 13:55
You know, Jose, it's been so long since I've been to a record store that I should make an effort to hit some of the places in my area. The last time was probably three years ago and was a small used record shop in Old Town Pomona. Up front was a small section of new releases and another small section with well known artists
and the rest were mixed artists and unknown albums in average or less condition. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 15:36
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

You know, Jose, it's been so long since I've been to a record store that I should make an effort to hit some of the places in my area. The last time was probably three years ago and was a small used record shop in Old Town Pomona. Up front was a small section of new releases and another small section with well known artists
and the rest were mixed artists and unknown albums in average or less condition. 

Gary you have TONS in the LA area! I have been to Record Surplus on Santa Monica Blvd and a few others, plus you have a lot of used record fairs too on certain weekends.
Turn that computer off and go bin digging my friend Big smile.

I much prefer stores than the world wide web shopping.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 196197198199200 312>