Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 197198199200201 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 17:51
I did a search recently and my part of LA County doesn't have a lot. The Los Angeles and Pasadena areas have several but that's a bit of a drive. There's one in Downey that specializes in heavy metal clothing and accessories so their album selection would probably be the same. There's one ten minutes away that sells all DJ mixes.

I have some gaps in my seventies collection that I would like to fill with originals but I'm picky about condition so that makes the search more difficult.
My new vinyl is mainly psych/stoner/desert so I would look for places that carried at least some of that style. Of course colored vinyl is my first choice but I settle for black if that's all I can find. 

As you know, things were a lot different in the seventies when it came to record stores. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 22:59
I attended a Record Convention in NYC a couple of years back, and was disappointed that it was just a small room with a few tables. All I walked away with was a 2LP copy of STYX - Caught In The Act - Live for a fiver (was happy, great condition, inner sleeves intact, and our local Aussie pressing was a single only with selected tracks, and that's all you'll find here). And a copy of NICKY HOPKINS - Jamming With Edward, which is pretty rare here in Oz (well, I've never seen it before). I really was expecting a lot more.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 09:29
A few from Hungary...

Elo (live) - 1972
The Hall Of Floaters In The Sky - 1975
200 Years After The Last War - 1974  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 10:02
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I did a search recently and my part of LA County doesn't have a lot. The Los Angeles and Pasadena areas have several but that's a bit of a drive. There's one in Downey that specializes in heavy metal clothing and accessories so their album selection would probably be the same. There's one ten minutes away that sells all DJ mixes.

I have some gaps in my seventies collection that I would like to fill with originals but I'm picky about condition so that makes the search more difficult.
My new vinyl is mainly psych/stoner/desert so I would look for places that carried at least some of that style. Of course colored vinyl is my first choice but I settle for black if that's all I can find. 

As you know, things were a lot different in the seventies when it came to record stores. 

I grew up in So Cal so I get it, there were parts of LA area that I never visited. But regardless, that whole area has tons of record stores......The personal collections were huge in the 70's in So Cal, that ended up in estate sales.

When I go to a store, I never have anything in mind cause generally I will be disappointed, so when I find something I am pretty stoked!

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 12:35
You see, that's my problem. I have very specific things in mind because I know which 70s albums I don't have but I want. I'm pretty satisfied with my US releases so almost all of the albums on my 70s "want list" are imports and they are scarce. 
I am also, as I mentioned, pretty critical about condition. I would be looking for near mint and VG+ would be borderline. Here in southeast LA County (about five minutes from Orange County) I don't have many places to look for what I need.
But, I do miss browsing through bins like I used to do back then. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 17:08

This is a nice 5xLP box set on the RCA Red Seal label released in 1976
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 18:20

You see, that's my problem. I have very specific things in mind because I know which 70s albums I don't have but I want. I'm pretty satisfied with my US releases so almost all of the albums on my 70s "want list" are imports and they are scarce. 
I am also, as I mentioned, pretty critical about condition. I would be looking for near mint and VG+ would be borderline. Here in southeast LA County (about five minutes from Orange County) I don't have many places to look for what I need.
But, I do miss browsing through bins like I used to do back then. 

Again, I get it......I too am very picky about groove condition, I run a fairly high end MC cartridge and will not compromise it with a $2 LP find Thumbs Down, which is why I am good with new vinyl. I am not all about finding that 1st pressing from 1971, sure it may sound the best but it may be VG- at best no-no...

Plus does not matter where you live in So Cal, it takes 2 hours to go anywhere....been there done that! LOL

I grew up in La Puente and also lived in Riverside, during the time when there was nothing in Ontario but orchards and an airport....Jurupa Valley was just that, a valley!!

I'm not far from some nice record stores, most are starting to carry new vinyl but I hear ya, nothing in the way of obscure imports, still have to order those on the www.....but it is a lot of fun going shopping.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2017 at 18:26
EMI/Harvest Label....Made in Germany

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 11:00
Yesterday's delivery...

Elder - Live At Roadburn 2013

Karma To Burn  (12" EP)

Siena Root - Pioneers 

Truckfighters vs Firestone - Fuzzsplit Of The Century

Stinking Lizaveta - Sacrifice And Bliss
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 11:37
Also from yesterday's delivery.
I seldom buy picture discs but I bought this 12" single by WolveSpirit
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 13:24
Even though this article/interview is from 1992, I think still rings true today. 
Always thought it a shame that some of these original recording session tapes were lifted and never returned back to the "cupboard". I assume my 2010 DGM reissue is from the work that Fripp talks about doing in the article. In the late 90's there were a bunch of CD reissues done again supposedly approved by Fripp, I don;t own any of those.
Only a 1978 repress which is not a great sounding version, why I bought the 2010 issue.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 14:18

Secret Oyster - Straight To The Krankenhaus   (1977)

Secret Oyster - Sea Son   (1974)

I have those two on cd......never have seen them on original vinyl. Where did you find them at...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 20:19
^  These are from my original vinyl collection that I accumulated back in the 60s and 70s. I also have Secret Oyster's first album and Astarte. 
All of the 70s albums that I have posted here are from my original collection.

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 20:24
These arrived today...

Interkosmos - Hypnotizer 

Agusa - Hogtid  
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2017 at 05:03

Motorhead (1). Clap
Manuelmoreno View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuelmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2017 at 10:02
Hello, I'm traveling to Prague this summer, can anyone recommend some nice record shops there?
Thanks!

Edited by Manuelmoreno - March 16 2017 at 10:03
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2017 at 14:08

^  These are from my original vinyl collection that I accumulated back in the 60s and 70s. I also have Secret Oyster's first album and Astarte. 

Ok...I hadn't realized you were that old......I'm just a year younger .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2017 at 15:48
Originally posted by Manuelmoreno Manuelmoreno wrote:

Hello, I'm traveling to Prague this summer, can anyone recommend some nice record shops there?
Thanks!

Check Record Store Day website, don't think they list anything in Czech.for sure Austria and Germany though

Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2017 at 18:59
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Motorhead (1). Clap

Classic! 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2017 at 19:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ok...I hadn't realized you were that old......I'm just a year younger .

Yep, older but not always wiser. Wink
I can answer your original question, I bought these at the Licorice Pizza record store in Downey (CA).
That's where I bought 95% of my 70s albums (and 99% of my 70s imports).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 197198199200201 312>