Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 16:43
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

A little shopping on my recent business trip. Found a bookstore that had a nice record room, most of it was new pop/rock/indie stuff. But I found a few gems, super cheap too. The store had them marked VG or VG+, after running them thru my record vacuum cleaner, I play graded them:

The RLJ record is NM = $4.99
Sugarhill Gang 12" Single Rapper's Delight is VG+ = $4.99
Arc Of A Diver is easily NM++ = $4.99
Back In the High Life is STILL SEALED w/original hype sticker = $3.99 (WTF!!)

[IMAGES REMOVED FOR SIZE]
Holy crap...Nice score! Are you leaving it sealed? That's one of those questions I'm not sure how I would answer. I guess if it's only a moderately valued LP it really doesn't matter.

But this also begs the question...
What 'noise' criteria do you assign to the various classifications?

For Me, unless it's sealed it can never be Mint, once the seal is broken it drops to NM.
It drops to VG+ if there is between three and five instances if low level static on any 'in-between' on any one side.
It drops to VG when the low level bacon frying can be heard in two or more tracks across the album
It drops to G as soon as there is one or more loud Pop's or Tick's anywhere on the album.
I'm investigating that, I have seen sealed ones go for $50. As I have said before, I'm a collector of music not a seller of music, I'll probably open it. I have the original CD and it's one of my better sounding CDs, not a bad track on the whole album.
I could follow your criteria......due to the investment in my cartridge I don't play anything less than VG+. On occasion I'll swap it out for one of my MM carts if I wanna spin some of my VG/G records.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 16:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Finally unboxed several crates of albums I've had stored away since the mid-1980s. It's been fun. A walk down memory lane. 

That's great!!! Now post the list so we can offer you some green backs for whatcha got! Unless you plan on unboxing that 40yr old turntable too!! 

Nah, I bought a new turntable to go with my existing rig. I haven't got rid of the LPs for 40 -50 years, I'm not going to now. Many of them are still in pristine condition.

Good boy.....I still have almost all of my original records bought in the 70s. I lost probably 200 in house moves, but have replaced many of them.
As a kid I took great care of my records always using Discwasher cleaner and the big pad, kept my stylus clean with Audio Technica fluid. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 16:56
Hi gents - wanted to share my most recent vinyl binge. Not all of these are in great condition (though most are), and all but the Faust were under $10 (Faust was $15 - reissue, but still sealed - and probably would go for at least $75 on Discogs). Would love any comments on these.

Graham Parker | Heat Treatment
Henry Kaiser | Hope You Like our New Direction
Faust | s/t (clear vinyl)
James Blood Ulmer | America - Do You Remember the Love?
Trio | Trio and Error
Edgard Varese | Offrandes //Integrales /Octandre /Ecuatorial
George Crumb | Ancient Voices of Children
Procol Harum | Grand Hotel
James Blood Ulmer | Freelancing
Don “Sugarcane” Harris | I’m on your Case
Stanley Clarke & George Duke | The Clarke/Duke Project
Steve Hillage | Rainbow Dome Musick
Utopia | s/t
Nina Hagen | Nunsexmonkrock
George Benson | Good King Bad
Oregon | Winter Light
Oregon | In Concert
The O’Jays | Ship Ahoy
It’s a Beautiful Day | s/t
Gabor Szabo | Rambler
Nick Lowe | Pure Pop for Now People
The O’Jays | The Year 2000
Gabor Szabo | Best Of
Oregon | Crossing
George Benson | Give Me the Night
Utopia | Swing to the Right
Vangelis | Heaven & Hell
Mr. Hageman | Twin Smooth Snouts
Tin Huey | Contents Dislodged During Shipment
David Sancious and Tone | Transformation (The Speed of Love)
David Sancious & Tone | True Stories
The Lodge | Smell of a Friend
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 08:41
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Hi gents - wanted to share my most recent vinyl binge. Not all of these are in great condition (though most are), and all but the Faust were under $10 (Faust was $15 - reissue, but still sealed - and probably would go for at least $75 on Discogs). Would love any comments on these.

Graham Parker | Heat Treatment
Henry Kaiser | Hope You Like our New Direction
Faust | s/t (clear vinyl)
James Blood Ulmer | America - Do You Remember the Love?
Trio | Trio and Error
Edgard Varese | Offrandes //Integrales /Octandre /Ecuatorial
George Crumb | Ancient Voices of Children
Procol Harum | Grand Hotel
James Blood Ulmer | Freelancing
Don “Sugarcane” Harris | I’m on your Case
Stanley Clarke & George Duke | The Clarke/Duke Project
Steve Hillage | Rainbow Dome Musick
Utopia | s/t
Nina Hagen | Nunsexmonkrock
George Benson | Good King Bad
Oregon | Winter Light
Oregon | In Concert
The O’Jays | Ship Ahoy
It’s a Beautiful Day | s/t
Gabor Szabo | Rambler
Nick Lowe | Pure Pop for Now People
The O’Jays | The Year 2000
Gabor Szabo | Best Of
Oregon | Crossing
George Benson | Give Me the Night
Utopia | Swing to the Right
Vangelis | Heaven & Hell
Mr. Hageman | Twin Smooth Snouts
Tin Huey | Contents Dislodged During Shipment
David Sancious and Tone | Transformation (The Speed of Love)
David Sancious & Tone | True Stories
The Lodge | Smell of a Friend

There are some great records in this list of stuff you found Clap O'Jays and George Benson, is some albums I used to have but lost in house moves. Most of what I lost was R&B, although some treasured rock and prog too.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 10:14

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Hit the local kid's shop...he has a nice collection of things for sale...good prices also...found these at a low price and all original first press most in VG+ shape..some of the vinyl was NM..some covers were VG.   ...and there are more waiting to be puchased....going back with a fist full of cash on Monday or Tuesday Wink

Oregon-Distant Hills
Manfred Mann -Solar Fire (my second copy...)
Carmen-Fandangos In Space
Still- Sinfield
Pat Metheny Group- st (Phase Dance lp)
Bruford-Earthworks
Solution-Cordon Bleu
Beefheart-Spotlight Kid
If-st
Brian Auger and Trinity-Befour
Vangelis-Heaven and Hell
Steve Miller- Sailor

Nice score Doc....really nice. Hoping to get a chance this weekend to hit the Tacoma record stores, or maybe Monday since that is our observed July 4th holiday.
Good luck at the Tacoma shops.....I'm heading over to the local shop on Sat....been busy with family stuff.
It's amazing what this kid has had the last 6 months or so...he has a supplier in Chicago...a guy who is slowly selling his whole collection to this kid who sells them cheap to us locals unless they are rare ones ,like Mighty Baby or Gracious. He told me this guy says he hasn't even sold him the 'good stuff' yet...I can't imagine what he has left but I do know this Chicago connection man had over 10,000 pieces...all good rock things and some obscure stuff also. I'm hoping to get some more obscure prog eventually.
Smile
I forget to mention....he has 2 copies of Yezda Urfa (from that guy in Chicago I think...)...both are VG+ to NM...he wants $1,500.00 for each.
Stern Smile
Super nice!!! Those are gold mines, you need to stay in good graces with your guy. I always tell those people selling off stuff that "I'm not a reseller, I am a music lover and will gladly pay a fair price so I can enjoy the album for life."
That $1500 is probably in the ball park, a grand to 1200 is more like it.

I've been friends with him and his brother for 5 years now...my last employee before I retired was also a friend of his. There is a small clique of friends that often hang out there on Saturdays. So,,he has been very fair on prices to those of us who went to his store from the beginning. Even the stores in Chicago and Indianapolis I've been to in the last 2 years don't have the selection of odd prog and psych and folk that he seems to find. And he is cheap on much of it...every lp on that list I posted above was $5 except for Beefheart which was $15 , If $10 ,and Auger $7
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 11:04
Recent Discogs acquisitions arrived on Friday...
Priced around $4 - $6 ea.
Rated as VG/VG+ but I haven't listened to them yet.
Still working on filling in the gaps in my collection.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 21:33
^ i had that ELPowell album on CD way back when. I kind of miss it, and I should pick it up again (vinyl this time, preferably) next time I come across it.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 21:38

There are some great records in this list of stuff you found Clap O'Jays and George Benson, is some albums I used to have but lost in house moves. Most of what I lost was R&B, although some treasured rock and prog too.
I’ve been on a big George Benson kick lately, and have only recently started looking into expanding my Philly Soul experience, and the O’Jays seemed a good place to start.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 12:09

Recent Discogs acquisitions arrived on Friday...
Priced around $4 - $6 ea.
Rated as VG/VG+ but I haven't listened to them yet.
Still working on filling in the gaps in my collection.

I usually see ELP/Works in the bins around here does not seem like a tough find. What is tough is like ELP debut, Trilogy or Pictures at least in anything above VG, those records are pretty well played out. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 15:19
That reminds me… one artist’s albums I’ve have had a hard time finding used in good condition? Joe Walsh. I gather his fans like to party a bit, and sometimes the LPs have suffered some rough treatment over the years.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 11:40

That reminds me… one artist’s albums I’ve have had a hard time finding used in good condition? Joe Walsh. I gather his fans like to party a bit, and sometimes the LPs have suffered some rough treatment over the years.

Funny you mention that, I agree. Round these parts Steve Miller albums are tough to find in VG condition also, was playing Book of Dreams and Fly Like An Eagle yesterday, those two are really tough to find.

I suspect on Discogs you can find VG+ records of Joe Walsh

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 14:02
A couple of Frost* albums on vinyl for the first time:

Milliontown (red) and Experiments In Mass Appeal (blue)

Edited by Gentle and Giant - July 08 2021 at 14:03
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 14:25
black midi - Schlagenheim
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 18:54

Funny you mention that, I agree. Round these parts Steve Miller albums are tough to find in VG condition also, was playing Book of Dreams and Fly Like An Eagle yesterday, those two are really tough to find.

Steve Miller is one of those sentimental favorite artists because "Fly Like an Eagle" was the first 8-track that I ever bought with my own money.  Ever since then, I have been on a quest to own all of his studio albums on vinyl (collections not applicable).  So, since the mid-70's, here is a list of what I have accumulated, and it still isn't complete, but it's close....

Children of the Future
Sailor
Brave New World
Your Saving Grace
Number 5
Recall the Beginning...A Journey from Eden
Anthology
The Joker
Fly Like an Eagle
Book of Dreams
Circle of Love
Italian X-rays
Living in the 20th Century
Bingo
Let Your Hair Down

So I'm still missing....
Rock Love
Abracadabra
Born 2 B Blue
Wide River

They have not been easy to find and it's taken almost a lifetime.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 23:48
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Steve Miller is one of those sentimental favorite artists because "Fly Like an Eagle" was the first 8-track that I ever bought with my own money.  Ever since then, I have been on a quest to own all of his studio albums on vinyl (collections not applicable).  So, since the mid-70's, here is a list of what I have accumulated, and it still isn't complete, but it's close....

Children of the Future
Sailor
Brave New World
Your Saving Grace
Number 5
Recall the Beginning...A Journey from Eden
Anthology
The Joker
Fly Like an Eagle
Book of Dreams
Circle of Love
Italian X-rays
Living in the 20th Century
Bingo
Let Your Hair Down

So I'm still missing....
Rock Love
Abracadabra
Born 2 B Blue
Wide River

They have not been easy to find and it's taken almost a lifetime.

Outstanding........ClapClap. I had Abracadabra and Rock Love, had as those were lost in a house move. I think Rock Love includes Ross Valory from Journey fame on bass. 
Unless you want to only find these in bins, they are on Discogs for sale by many people. There is a NM Rock Love for US$21.....thinking about it.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 07:23
Recent trip to the 'kids' record shop yesterday .....all original vinyl...
IF- 2
Flo and Eddie- Illegal
Phlorescent Leech and Eddie
Santana-Welcome
Joe Walsh-Smoker 
                Barnstorm 
                Consfessor
                There Goes...
                 Got Any Gum
more to be had soon............Big smile
...he's asking $300 now for the Mighty Baby...do I pull the trigger..or not?
------------------------------
My guy is Walsh so I have beeen getting all the old vinyl he did....have most on cd.
Also like the 'early' Steve Miller lp's I have Sailor, Brave, Grace, and 5...need Children for the early batch..
the later ones are a bit too top 40 for me but they are still good.

Next Sat is another record store day....record show here with 15 vendors from the midwest.Smile

Edited by dr wu23 - July 10 2021 at 07:26
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 09:39

IF- 2
Flo and Eddie- Illegal
Santana-Welcome
Joe Walsh-Smoker 
                Barnstorm 
                Consfessor
                There Goes...
                 Got Any Gum
My guy is Walsh so I have beeen getting all the old vinyl he did....have most on cd.
Also like the 'early' Steve Miller lp's I have Sailor, Brave, Grace, and 5...need Children for the early batch..

Next Sat is another record store day....record show here with 15 vendors from the midwest.Smile
RSD.......bahhhh!! Have not been a fan the past couple years. My best years were like 2013-14 for RSD, now it's just a bunch of picture discs and pop/indie releases. I'll probably go and see after the crowds in Tacoma stores die down.
Now you can offer him cash at $250, is what I would do.....You still buy a lot from him so push that fact too.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 09:43
FINALLY !!!
Big Time Score.

From an online estate auction on Thursday.
1st issue Canadian pressing.
No stickers or poster, and just a wee sticker damage on the jacket.
I got this and two throw away LP's (Black Sabbath-We Sold Our Soul & Bob Dylan-Desire) and I do mean I'm throwing them away since they look like the LP's have been used for square dancing by the indigenous rat hoards that populate the cellars of long forgotten second hand shops. But I didn't bid on the lot for those two. Nope, my eye was on the prize.
Price paid...$20 CND plus tax, and a short drive to Guelph.
I cleaned and have play graded this at VG++ to NM.
The funny thing is, I had a dream about this album on Wednesday night thinking I'd missed the auction. I still can't believe it didn't go for more. But hey, I'm not complaining.

Edited by JD - July 10 2021 at 09:45
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 12:37

IF- 2
Flo and Eddie- Illegal
Santana-Welcome
Joe Walsh-Smoker 
                Barnstorm 
                Consfessor
                There Goes...
                 Got Any Gum

RSD.......bahhhh!! Have not been a fan the past couple years. My best years were like 2013-14 for RSD, now it's just a bunch of picture discs and pop/indie releases. I'll probably go and see after the crowds in Tacoma stores die down.
Now you can offer him cash at $250, is what I would do.....You still buy a lot from him so push that fact too.
I won't be going to any of the RSD at the stores but they are having a record show that day in my local area with vendors who bring all kinds of used vinyl.  Smile
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 12:56

FINALLY !!!
Big Time Score.

From an online estate auction on Thursday.
1st issue Canadian pressing.
No stickers or poster, and just a wee sticker damage on the jacket.
I got this and two throw away LP's (Black Sabbath-We Sold Our Soul & Bob Dylan-Desire) and I do mean I'm throwing them away since they look like the LP's have been used for square dancing by the indigenous rat hoards that populate the cellars of long forgotten second hand shops. But I didn't bid on the lot for those two. Nope, my eye was on the prize.
Price paid...$20 CND plus tax, and a short drive to Guelph.
I cleaned and have play graded this at VG++ to NM.
The funny thing is, I had a dream about this album on Wednesday night thinking I'd missed the auction. I still can't believe it didn't go for more. But hey, I'm not complaining.

The prices vary wildly on those first pressings...I have a NM US first press with all the posters...I have seen them for as low as $40 and as high as $200 in Indiana stores. There are many of them out there since so many were sold back in the day.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 312>