Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Error Code 864G View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Error Code 864G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 17:10
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

When was this system made, Error Code?

Not quite sure, it was my great grandfathers before he died. He left it to me.
A Human Being, Existing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Error Code 864G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 17:11
It has CD, Vinyl, Cassette, everything you can think of!
A Human Being, Existing.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 19:52
^Internal or External speakers?
And given what I can see regarding construction materials and design elements I'm guess early mid eighties fare.

Edited by JD - March 25 2023 at 19:55
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Error Code 864G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 20:01
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I don't know very much about music technology, but if you mean that there are speakers as part of the player then yes. They are really good speakers too!

And given what I can see regarding construction materials and design elements I'm guess early mid eighties fare.

If that is true, it works really well for a 40 year old machine!

A Human Being, Existing.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 05:05

It has a CD player, so it must be from at least mid-'80s.

Edited by David_D - March 26 2023 at 05:23
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 06:03

^ But it's interesting with all the media it has, and considering the fact that the retro-design became popular quite a lot of
years later - at least in Denmark.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 07:01

You're right, and with the double cassette configuration, I might change my estimate to late 80's early 90's. There must be a make and model number on it somewhere. The 'Nostalgia' brand was from Teac.
Any help there Alexander?

EDIT
Found it Teac GF-680
Still can't find a release date though.

https://www.ebth.com/items/4891145-teac-gf-680-nostalgia-audio-system

Edited by JD - March 26 2023 at 07:12
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 08:26

Found it Teac GF-680

I've been searching quite a bit, but I couldn't find when it was made either. I think though too that the late '80s to early '90s is the most probable. 

Edited by David_D - March 26 2023 at 08:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Error Code 864G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 10:09

You're right, and with the double cassette configuration, I might change my estimate to late 80's early 90's. There must be a make and model number on it somewhere. The 'Nostalgia' brand was from Teac.
Any help there Alexander?

EDIT
Found it Teac GF-680

Found it Teac GF-680

I've been searching quite a bit, but I couldn't find when it was made either. I think though too that the late '80s to early '90s is the most probable. 

I crawled behind it and looked at the date it was made and....

You were both wrong!
"Manufactured in 2004, July"
A Human Being, Existing.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 10:31
Originally posted by Error Code 864G Error Code 864G wrote:

I crawled behind it and looked at the date it was made and....

You were both wrong!
"Manufactured in 2004, July"

Interesting to know the date. I've been thinking about if it could be there behind, but I didn't find it probable.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 10:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Arrived yesterday........Spinning it now, so glad to have on LP. Very nice packaging as well. Roine always does a great job on his LP releases.

I just recently received two Flower Kings record from Lasercd. Have yet to spin it, but the packaging looked great when I opened it! Cheers to listening!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2023 at 12:24
Went to a record fair this past Sunday in Seattle, I was waffling back and forth should I go but I did. As expected absolutely tons of stuff nobody really wants, I mean all the 80s rock records you could want. And any LZ II, IV original pressing was going for $40 and all of them were roached, nothing close to VG.
A few PF-DSOtM oldies like '77 repress for like $100, decent condition one guy had a '75 repress and wanted $300....I LOL!! There was a lot of cassettes for sale at good prices, $3-$5 and tons of 45rpm singles, which I care nothing about so not sure the prices....People were buying them.
There was a lot of MoFi box sets, all too expensive and a decent chunk of new records as well a lot of avant garde stuff and world music, I kept hearing people asking for African, Caribbean, Brazilian....and then I heard people asking for The Knack debut album....
What it was great for was people just starting out in vinyl or maybe in the past few years. I had many people asking me about stuff as we were flipping thru boxes, one thing that is very cool is the VC (Vinyl Community) is friendly and they like to talk, share stories. Most of the sellers were just pop up table sellers, they don't have retail stores but do sell on eBay/Discogs too. 
One guy told me he had 17,000 records and was moving to Australia soon to be near his wife's family, he says he is so worried about shipping his records. I told him that will be one container just for records, but he will make a lot of money in AUS with his collection. He had an awesome funk collection, I bought one from. him. There was some memorabilia there too, bought a poster ad.
Overall it was a good experience, the place was jam packed with people with about 11-2pm being the most packed, you had to squeeze in to flip thru boxes.

This was all I came away with. Although 2 of these I had been looking for. 
Parliament Live-Incredibly HARD to find anything close to VG in the wild, this guy had two copies, none with the poster or iron on, which I had as a teen but lost in a house move. After I told the guy about my house move nightmares I freaked him out even more about his move to AUS LOL.
I've been looking for a better copy of Dreamboat Annie, this one looked VG++ and I cleaned it, gave ultrasonic clean and DANG!! This one is NM and plays amazing! I have another copy that does not even come close, this one was press by another plant than my other version, major score!
Other than the Cream record the others are all NM/NM-, Cream is a VG+ but plays excellent after a good scrubbing. The Anathema is new, cheap for $20....
The PF poster was only $20, guy would not take less, it's in pretty good shape and I'll frame it. As I bought it another guy came around asking if it was sold and I said "yea I just bought it..." he screamed NO! The guy had offered $15 like me but walked off the seller said...
The Brand X was a steal at $5.....most expensive was the Parliament Live it's 2-LP set but again tough find, paid $30.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2023 at 13:00
Looks like a bit of fun. I've never been to a record bazaar before, but doing the rounds at the Toronto brick and mortar stores is the closest I've gotten.
I'm almost at the point of giving up on Discogs. The last couple of purchases have been underwhelming on actual condition to rated condition. And I realize vendors might not be able to play grade each and every LP, but if you haven't confirmed with absolute certainty that it is NM then don't rate it so. Thankfully most vendors are willing to work with you if there are discrepancies.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2023 at 14:01

Looks like a bit of fun. I've never been to a record bazaar before, but doing the rounds at the Toronto brick and mortar stores is the closest I've gotten.
I'm almost at the point of giving up on Discogs. The last couple of purchases have been underwhelming on actual condition to rated condition. And I realize vendors might not be able to play grade each and every LP, but if you haven't confirmed with absolute certainty that it is NM then don't rate it so. Thankfully most vendors are willing to work with you if there are discrepancies.
There is another record fair next month but further north, it'll be the same people so I'm not going. There are some in Portland but again too far to drive to dig thru old 80s rock, classic rock and such....I have all of it already. It was fun.

As far as Discogs I only sort for NM, clearly if it's listed as M then it should say sealed and or new....But I sort for NM only and expect I'll get VG++ and I make offers, never pay what is listed!! Which has been the case and worked out pretty good so far. As well I pay via PayPal and that gets you extra protection if you want to file a claim and get your money back....
Unfortunately Discogs is the only place to find rare stuff.

There was a table there with a guy from an auction house, called Heritage Auctions. He told me they have tons of rare first pressings and such, psych, prog, eclectic krapp. Of course I told him "all at eclectic high prices right??" He laughed...

The website is HA.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2023 at 14:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

There is another record fair next month but further north, it'll be the same people so I'm not going. There are some in Portland but again too far to drive to dig thru old 80s rock, classic rock and such....I have all of it already. It was fun.

As far as Discogs I only sort for NM, clearly if it's listed as M then it should say sealed and or new....But I sort for NM only and expect I'll get VG++ and I make offers, never pay what is listed!! Which has been the case and worked out pretty good so far. As well I pay via PayPal and that gets you extra protection if you want to file a claim and get your money back....
Unfortunately Discogs is the only place to find rare stuff.

There was a table there with a guy from an auction house, called Heritage Auctions. He told me they have tons of rare first pressings and such, psych, prog, eclectic krapp. Of course I told him "all at eclectic high prices right??" He laughed...

The website is HA.com
I do the same, but recently I've seen VG and VG(-) being offered up.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2023 at 16:34
I’ve been to a few Record Shows in Atlanta. Lots of fun, though I’m not a very natural “mingler” and rarely get into any conversations. Once in a while I feel comfortable enough but not much. My impressions lately of such shows is that many of the vendors charge a bit higher than average, and the records are generally in worse shape. I have some good brick/mortar stores close to me so I’m thankful for that. I’m less gung ho about the record shows now.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2023 at 18:18
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I’ve been to a few Record Shows in Atlanta. Lots of fun, though I’m not a very natural “mingler” and rarely get into any conversations. Once in a while I feel comfortable enough but not much. My impressions lately of such shows is that many of the vendors charge a bit higher than average, and the records are generally in worse shape. I have some good brick/mortar stores close to me so I’m thankful for that. I’m less gung ho about the record shows now.

I have plenty of stores to go to, but those prices are getting expensive due to their rising costs of doing business...rent, utilities, insurance...I spent $100, grant it two of the records were $50. Most prices were extremely reasonable and everyone would take $5 off easily. Most sellers were $1-2 for albums under the tables. And had $5/$10/$20 as main prices in boxes on top.....All the records I bought would have been $15 min and up to $50 for the Parliament.

I won't go to the next one only cause what they have is too much of what I already have....It was only $3 to get in.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 21:26
Yeah, I have been to a few record shows, but there's that temptation to splurge on too many records... They're fun though as you can get pretty good deals.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 10:24
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Yeah, I have been to a few record shows, but there's that temptation to splurge on too many records... They're fun though as you can get pretty good deals.
Totally agree.....although with my current collection I really don't have the urge to splurge. I could have bought probably 30 records of stuff that I was mildly interested in and or buying stuff I had no clue on just because I might like it. 
I was digging thru a box and it was an older guys table, we were talking and I pulled out a VG++ of Nektar Remember/Future and I told him dude this is a $20 record and you want $5??? He was like oh well gotta sell stuff. Another guy was buying at the same time next to me and he wanted to buy another record to make an even $50, I said buy this one Nektar for $5, owner said yea that's a great record, buyer had no clue and was like sure I'll take it.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 15:52
José, I know you've mentioned before about your ultrasonic cleaner. But I'm curious how well it really cleans things. I recently got GG Three Friends LP that was listed as NM, but upon playing I experience loud and sustained 'crackling' surface noise, for lack of better term, during softer passages. I had already given the vinyl what I consider to be a deep cleaning (manually) but it didn't seem to make a difference. The Vinyl LOOKS clean enough with only the slightest hint of 'scuff' so the noise appears to be something deeper than surface damage.
Have you ever been able to recondition an album like that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 312>