Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 11:03
^ so cool.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 11:07
^At most I would probably put a 3LP jacket in it while listening to one of the discs.

Proof of concept...
I rushed the process and as a result broke the record because it wasn't pliable enough. Just used my wife's hair dryer and a couple of cutting boards.
I'll have to hit the Op-Shop for some cheapo LP's to refine the bending/shaping process. I'll also need to add some back support since the LP itself isn't stiff enough to hold a jacket upright.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 11:32
^ well I like the display concept of it.
I love the way you and Jose present your records for listening, so the stand looks terrific for presenting purposes.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 12:16
I'm thinking maybe an infrared heat lamp might be better to soften it up. More even and higher temp. I'll need to fabricate a jig for bending/forming in one step so it cools correctly. If/when I get it all figured out you might find them on Etsy !
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2023 at 17:47
^JD, you're making me jealous. Looks killer to me! Perhaps I'll do something like that soon. Wink
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 11:18
2 quick questions for all you vinylographers out there.

1 - When spinning LP's, is your dust cover up or down?

2 - Do you have/use a stylus cleaning brush (not record brush).

Edited by JD - November 27 2023 at 11:19
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 12:14
^

1 - Cover Up
2 - Yes I have a stylus cleaning brush. But after every few sessions I have a blob of blu-tack that I drop the stylus in for a few seconds.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 16:49
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

2 quick questions for all you vinylographers out there.

1 - When spinning LP's, is your dust cover up or down?

2 - Do you have/use a stylus cleaning brush (not record brush).
1. Both....Just depends, if I plan a long listening session then I take the cover off.
2. I use the stylus brush included with my cartridge.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 16:55

^At most I would probably put a 3LP jacket in it while listening to one of the discs.

Proof of concept...
I rushed the process and as a result broke the record because it wasn't pliable enough. Just used my wife's hair dryer and a couple of cutting boards.
I'll have to hit the Op-Shop for some cheapo LP's to refine the bending/shaping process. I'll also need to add some back support since the LP itself isn't stiff enough to hold a jacket upright.

That's cool Clap What did you attach to the back of the record?

I use a picture holder or also can use a plate holder, like a tripod stand. The plate holder is big enough for the album.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 19:11
Nothing YET. I have to get me a proper heat gun for starters. My plan would be for a small wood base to attach the record to via glue gun. But I have to refine the bending/forming process. I'm now thinking of attaching a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" wood dowel to the edge of a board to get the bend smoother.

I have in the past used the picture frame tripod as well. I have both a small wood one and a larger plexiglass one.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 06:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 13:11

YOWZA !!!

This the LP version of the CD box set that came out 2yrs ago I think?? The CD set was like 12 CDs for like $300 IIRC. 

EDIT: Here is the Discogs entry....14 CDs

Edited by Catcher10 - December 01 2023 at 13:12
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 13:15
Record shopping the past 2 months, now that I see what we bought turns out this was my wife's shopping spree more than mine LOL. It's all good, I'm not a Celine fan the others I'll listen to on occasion. The Move album was a great find for $2 and after cleaning it all up plays NM easily....Clap

Edited by Catcher10 - December 01 2023 at 13:17
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 15:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

YOWZA !!!

This the LP version of the CD box set that came out 2yrs ago I think?? The CD set was like 12 CDs for like $300 IIRC. 

EDIT: Here is the Discogs entry....14 CDs
Oh I knew exactly what it was. I have the digital version. And to be honest , there are maybe three or four shows/mixes that are really stellar after that it becomes pretty repetitive as you can imagine.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 15:57

Record shopping the past 2 months, now that I see what we bought turns out this was my wife's shopping spree more than mine LOL. It's all good, I'm not a Celine fan the others I'll listen to on occasion. The Move album was a great find for $2 and after cleaning it all up plays NM easily....Clap

Nice, is the APP a 12" single? And what is the title of 2nd row down Far right
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2023 at 18:27

Nice, is the APP a 12" single? And what is the title of 2nd row down Far right
Yup....In that $10 box was a bunch of 12" singles. 2nd row that's the album by The Move~Split Ends.....This version of The Move was Jeff Lynn, Bev Bevan and Roy Wood, the precursor to ELO. Album includes the ELO song "Do Ya" the raw version.
Very cool listen...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 15:30
Next vinylographers question.

Albums storage...What do you have and what do you prefer.

Spine edge display or front face flop down bins.

Mine have always been...

But I'm almost wondering if I'd rather have a flop down bin.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 15:57
^I prefer it like that, but mine are in boxes on the floor because I have nowhere to store them
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 16:38
Jump to the 5:20 mark and watch to the end.
For your entertainment !
Try not to A, wet yourself from laughing too hard and B have a stroke when you see what he does.
You've been warned.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 17:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 312>