Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 20:20
^ Big smile
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 08:50
It seems like a nice remaster, everything SW touches turns to gold Tongue , never heard that album though.
I think Nick (progbethyname) has the Blu ray version of that one.
Engine View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 02:53
Found my Holy Grail this weekend.
 Mono original ( I think )
  The Nice....  'Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack ' !
 Cost me.....erm......
well....... £40 actually ! 
And that was knocked down from £60 !!!!
 But the vinyl is mint . Not even a spindle mark. Not one single solitary scuff . Gizzit Hug
Had to have it didn't I ? Might never find another as nice . (Sorry bout dat )

Edited by Engine - November 04 2014 at 04:11
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 04:18
40 quid for a single LP? 
I usually get 4 for that kind of moneyTongue

Nah I understand you perfectly well and 'Thoughts of...' does look stunning, I'm just not at a place in my life where cash is as bountiful as I could hope for. After my studies though I imagine spending heaps of money on ancient vinyls too. 
I guess you could call me jealous.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 04:29
That seems nice Tongue
Haven't listened to them yet though, there's always too many great music to check Confused
Engine View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 04:31
It's the most I've ever spent on a record though !
 I looked at the grooves and was delighted.
 It honestly looks like it's never been played.
So....the wife said  "treat yourself " So I did , before she changed her mind ! Thumbs Up

Engine View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 04:41
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

That seems nice Tongue
Haven't listened to them yet though, there's always too many great music to check Confused
My advice.....If you want to try The Nice , go straight for the  'Nice'  album .
Then if you like go back to 'Ars longa Vita Brevis' for more psychedelic tinged stuff.
 All is good , but all The Nice is classical more than jazz based Prog.
 Then get a good hold on your testicles and get the ultimate prog testament..ELP..."Brain Salad Surgery " 
You can die happy then !
 Enjoy Big smile

Edited by Engine - November 04 2014 at 04:46
Engine View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 05:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

40 quid for a single LP? 

Nah I understand you perfectly well and 'Thoughts of...' does look stunning, I'm just not at a place in my life where cash is as bountiful as I could hope for. After my studies though I imagine spending heaps of money on ancient vinyls too. 

I salute you  !
 A young person ( Now I'M Jealous ) 
like you Into vinyl in this compressed digital age . You've obviously got class  !
  .keep the faith ! Clap

Edited by Engine - November 04 2014 at 05:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 05:10
Thanks for the advice.

I still don't have the "ultimate prog statement", I only have the first album (as seen on the previous page Tongue) and Trilogy. Disapprove

What's your turntable model and what do you think of it? I'm in an investigation to replace mine in the near future I hope, when I'll start working: I finished my studies recently, I'm still in the same situation as David Tongue

By the way, welcome to this thread: it's a warm place Smile
Engine View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 18:21
It's a Mitchell Gyrodec. Slightly upgraded.
 Made in England but I think available everywhere.
 After years of different record players I decided that for the price the Gyrodec is all I'll ever need and value for money wise it's just unbeatable. Plus it can accommodate any arm .
 Bomb proof built quality and a sonic prformance which matches anything I've heard.
 Not everyone loves its looks.? But I do .
The 'Audiomods 'arm cost me a bit but the Gyro comes as standard with the legendary Rega RB 300 arm which does nine tenths of what mine does.
 About £1,500 for the basic one I think. So maybe not one to consider yet ?
 If you can get one sometime in future though it could be the last one you ever need to buy !
 When you think how much you can spend then it's hellish value .
We have a Technics SL1200 aswell which my daughter uses as she's scared of the bouncy Gyrodec haha LOL

Edited by Engine - November 04 2014 at 22:24
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 11:05
Nice find Engine!! From the pic it does look in VG+ condition.......I don't consume myself with prices of vinyl especially an older issue as that. If music is your passion then price is something you deal with, its your hobby and you can calculate the money per hour spent on enjoyment.
Believe me people spend tons more money on other hobbies than vinyl records and turntables...Just look at what people spend on iPhones every 6 months or so, good for Apple...

Mitchell makes really nice analog gear.......and yes welcome to our nice cozy warm thread!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 11:22
Originally posted by Engine Engine wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

40 quid for a single LP? 

I salute you  !
 A young person ( Now I'M Jealous ) 
like you Into vinyl in this compressed digital age . You've obviously got class  !
  .keep the faith ! Clap

LOL
Thanks! To be fair most of my collection is comprised of cds, but for about a year and a half I've been trying to re-buy my collection back in vinylWacko That's how it started, but I've come to my sense since then and now (mostly) focus on vinyl purchases that I don't already own on cd.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:49
^ Me too. I own much more CD's than vinyls, but this year I bought much more LP's than CD's. CD doesn't do much for me these days Ermm

On another topic, last Sunday afternoon I cleaned some of my LP's (with José's Special Recipe Tongue) and it was amazing: my copy of 'Wind and Wuthering' is finaly audible and 'Lizard' doesn't crackle at all. I can't wait to listen to the others Big smile

Engine View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 16:53
I was in Leeds last week at JUMBO RECORDS.... the vinyl racks were so busy I had to wait for a spot !
Saw three young fillies taking Ramones reissues to the counter.
Warmed the cockles of my heart so it did.
I felt like giving them a big hug....but I got into trouble last time I tried that !
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 17:11
This is on a delivery van, should hit my house by Friday.....woot-woot!!!!

Engine View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 17:24
Not familiar with it /them.........care to elaborate ?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 17:43
Originally posted by Engine Engine wrote:

Not familiar with it /them.........care to elaborate ?

IQ, band from the UK, lumped as a traditional neo-prog flavor. Influences from Genesis, Pink Floyd......heavy melancholic music, big sound. Others can chime in also here but I would check out
Tales From the Lush Attic
Ever
Frequency

Will give you a good flavor of their sound.
Engine View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 18:23
Ta matey  - will do. Thumbs Up
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 05:34
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This is on a delivery van, should hit my house by Friday.....woot-woot!!!!

That's a lot of records! I guess they just split the two original CDs into 3 chunks and spread them over 3 LPs?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 06:06
^ The physical proof that recent albums are too lengthy Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 312>