Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 09:39
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This is on a delivery van, should hit my house by Friday.....woot-woot!!!!

That's a lot of records! I guess they just split the two original CDs into 3 chunks and spread them over 3 LPs?

They pressed the vinyl to include all the material, so it is 3-LP version. As you know for vinyl it is a time per side issue. Seems more and more are sticking to about 20-22min per side, which is fine by me.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 09:45
I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and noticed they just started a vinyl section.  Mainstream!

But speaking of time-per-side, I noticed that U2's "Joshua Tree" has been spread out to four sides, even though it's traditionally been a single album, albeit one that had about 25 minutes per side.  That means that each side has just 2-3 songs on it.  Makes sense from a sound quality perspective, but how weird would that be to flip the record every three songs while listening to Joshua Tree?
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 10:47
^ I have the original CD issue which is not the best but on my system plays pretty good. I would not mind the new remastered vinyl version but I have many more on my list to get before I go outside my prog list.

I like the Joshua Tree
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 16:42
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ The physical proof that recent albums are too lengthy Tongue

You speak the truth :)

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and noticed they just started a vinyl section.  Mainstream!

But speaking of time-per-side, I noticed that U2's "Joshua Tree" has been spread out to four sides, even though it's traditionally been a single album, albeit one that had about 25 minutes per side.  That means that each side has just 2-3 songs on it.  Makes sense from a sound quality perspective, but how weird would that be to flip the record every three songs while listening to Joshua Tree?

I knew that Barnes and Noble used to sell vinyl, but they kind of withered away and went extinct around here. 

We do have, however, a thriving Books-A-Million store with a surprisingly decent vinyl section, mostly indie/alternative and a lot of jazz- and 1960s classics reissues (but no arcane prog stuff and suchlike).  

Regarding the albums' playing time: I dislike it when they spread what used to be a normal LP over two discs. Albums of the LP era were carefully structured and timed to be enjoyed to in two consequent sessions: Side A, followed by Side B. Twenty-five minutes per side didn't seem to be much of a problem back then. Now, because they press vinyl on 30+ years old equipment, there may be a technical reason for not using the innermost grooves. 

Edited by Argonaught - November 06 2014 at 17:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 17:09
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I like the Joshua Tree

Thanks for reminding me. Playing it now ... needs a spin on the cleaning machine ... the sweet PITA of vinyl :)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 17:31
Here comes the "most recent haul from the flea market" .. felt terribly sorry for the chatty grandpa, who was trying hard to get me interested in a few milk crates worth of "rock'n'roll" @ $0.50 apiece. It felt so heart-warming, though, to observe a small gang of aging gentlemen and a female goth, who knelt and squatted in front of the crates. 

Must re-loot this fine establishment no later than this coming Saturday, before winter sets in.  

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 17:43
Been a while since I *really* listened to Joshua Tree. May play my original vinyl tonight like the old days. Or maybe even Unforgettable Fire, though the memories that one digs up may be too intense.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 18:26
^^ Nice jazzy haul! I hope that "Latin ala Lee" album is better than its ridiculous cover LOL
I would really like to start buying some jazz vinyls someday, it probably sounds very good Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 20:40

^^ Nice jazzy haul! I hope that "Latin ala Lee" album is better than its ridiculous cover LOL
I would really like to start buying some jazz vinyls someday, it probably sounds very good Smile

Yep. Yep. Yep Thumbs Up

To a prog person, Latin Ala Lee may sound like mucho queso con queso, cubierto con queso. But, it's 50+ years old, so it's all good. Some 1950s-60s Broadway hits, spiced with Afro-Cuban groove. 

Do yourself a favor: try some good jazz. Here is something I have been enjoying for months, almost daily, and it's on YouTube, so you can try before you buy: 

The Calm Before The Storm, from 'Face Forward, Jeremy', written by Roxy Coss and played by Jeremy Pelt's band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmTvySPlxqc

And, if you end up buying it, please let us know what Ms. Fabiana is singing about on track #6, if you are any good at understanding the Paulista accent :)

This album  would make a perfect LP (45 minutes!) Unfortunately, Jeremy said his label doesn't want to issue anything on vinyl.     
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 22:50
Nice haul Argo!! A record store in Tacoma I go to on occasion has an insane amount of jazz vinyl, almost too much to soak in.
I am planning a trip there Saturday to hopefully pick up the new LZ releases....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 05:21
Great! It now left me with a question: does cheese taste better after 50 years? LOL

I used to listen everyday to a jazz album when I listened to 6/7 albums a day. I listened to Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, etc. I don't like vocal jazz much, though.

Nice song, I'll be sure to check some of his album. And yes, we (portuguese) understand their accent perfectly, better than they understand us, generally.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 05:48

I used to listen everyday to a jazz album when I listened to 6/7 albums a day. I listened to Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, etc

Sorry, I misspoke a little; I meant to say 'Treat yourself to some contemporary jazz', unless you prefer the classics. 

I don't like vocal jazz much, though.

There are only two tracks, I believe, on this album that have vocals. I don't like vocal jazz either. Kind of distracts from the music.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:27
I never heard any contemporary jazz, there are so many artist that I don't know what's really good.

Good, I though I was the only one that didn't like vocal jazz Tongue
I don't like much the only jazz radio station here, because they only play that kind of jazz, but it's still better than most radio stations.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 10:27
Depends on the vocalist......I can listen to Diana Krall for example with no problem, especially videos...nice eye-candyThumbs Up.
But she can sing and does a superb job with classics as well as original material, plus she is an excellent pianist. Although stuff from say Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday is not too interesting to me....For sure the music is always the best.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 11:17
Sure, listening to one song or two is fine, but I can't listen to a whole album, after a while I just think: "Shut up!" LOL

I think the main reason I listen to prog is the importance of the intrumental music instead of the "always singing" kind of music. Also my favourite sub-genres of prog are mainly intrumental. I see vocals as a solo intrument like the saxophone: I wouldn't listen to an album where the saxophone is constantly playing.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 12:03

Sure, listening to one song or two is fine, but I can't listen to a whole album, after a while I just think: "Shut up!" LOL

I think the main reason I listen to prog is the importance of the intrumental music instead of the "always singing" kind of music. Also my favourite sub-genres of prog are mainly intrumental. I see vocals as a solo intrument like the saxophone: I wouldn't listen to an album where the saxophone is constantly playing.

I have always liked instrumentals, even non-prog rock instrumentals I like......Songs by Earth, Wind & Fire for example I enjoy because their musicianship is stellar.
Rush, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Canvas Solaris is good stuff in my book for instrumentals.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 12:20
I used to listen a lot to a EW&F compilation I had on mini disc when I was younger. I really liked one instrumental there although I can't remember the title, but the melody is playing in my head Tongue

I never listened to Canvas Solaris, how's their music?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 12:43

I used to listen a lot to a EW&F compilation I had on mini disc when I was younger. I really liked one instrumental there although I can't remember the title, but the melody is playing in my head Tongue

I never listened to Canvas Solaris, how's their music?

Canvas Solaris is metal/prog, lots of noodling and I can only listen to 1-2 albums, I do like it but too much well you understand!

EW&F had a few great instrumentals, very jazzy oriented stuff too. A great one is Sun Goddess, song actually recorded by Ramsey Lewis, made famous by EW&F. Others...
Africano
Runnin
Brazilian Rhyme
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 12:46
I am so excited about this vinyl release.....Gilmour is paying us vinyl lovers tribute

The record is designed to be heard as a four-sided double-vinyl album. Gilmour says: “You have to get into the right mood to listen to this. There are still a lot of people who love to listen that away – to listen to a whole piece all the way through and get really into the mood, rather than listening to shorter pieces. This is for them, really.”

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 14:04
^^ I'll have to check that band. I can't listen to two metal phase PT albums one after the other either. I can easily listen to Voyage 34 though Cool

What EW&F albums do you recommend?

^ Great! We'll be listening on the right format then Big smile
It's probably challenging to change sides every 13 minutes or so, no?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 312>