Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 14:20
^ Flipping those 12" platters is no challenge at all !! Especially with a new Floyd album.....
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 14:50
You're probably right Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 15:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Flipping those 12" platters is no challenge at all !! Especially with a new Floyd album.....

Amen brother......I have zero issues flipping. It gives your ears, brain, senses a tiny break and it keeps you involved. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 15:25
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

What EW&F albums do you recommend?

One of my all time fav albums in music is All n' All, it has everything and is the best EW&F album period. The live album Gratitude is hailed as one of the best live R&B/Funk albums, it also has the best renditions of Sun Goddess and a song called New World Symphony, instrumental jams.

Another instrumental I forgot about is on Head To the Sky, features a 13 minute latin flavored jam called Zanzibar.

EW&F is the main reason why I love long songs, which led me to prog rock long songs.

Edited by Catcher10 - November 07 2014 at 15:26
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 17:48
Thanks. Just listened to All n' All and it's really good and I'm imagining how good it must sound in vinyl Big smile

It's funny that we were led to prog from different places and that makes discussing music really interesting.
Anyway, my first long song was 'Jesus of Suburbia' from Green Day: it has less than 10 minutes but for a punk song it's a "progressive punk" track. I just liked how structured and epic that song was and it really made an impression on 10 year old me Tongue
I might give that album a spin, it's been to long. Smile
Another one was 'Lucid Dreams' from Franz Ferdinand in 2009 with almost 9 minutes and they never had a track with more than 5 and it seems like a nod to prog in general: they admit to have some Krautrock and Roxy Music influences but mainly found them in this music.

Edited by Meltdowner - November 07 2014 at 17:49
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 19:15
Also progressive funk led me to prog rock.....I was already listening to Pink Floyd, Yes...but bands like EW&F and Parliament/Funkadelic gave me the love for long songs

Parliament
P-Funk = 7:40
Bop Gun = 8:35
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 04:45

It's funny that we were led to prog from different places and that makes discussing music really interesting.

" .... For Prog's ways are indeed inscrutable ... "

A couple of things in the thread I wanted to react to:

Progressive Punk & Funk: Nah, let's just leave them where they are .. punk it too juvenile, and funk is too happy to be proper prog .. prog is supposed to be solemn, pensive and all grown up Confused

Singing: most cultures consider it rude and inconsiderate to talk (let alone shout) when people are trying to listen to the music Clown . I'll make a couple of exceptions: Annie Haslam on Scheherezade and Jane Duboc on Depois Do Fim are fine. Others will be reminded of their right to remain silent. 

Diane Krall: She's a fine looking lady no doubt, and some of her album covers do emphasize this component of her appeal, but I do not like her music very much. "Best enjoyed with the MUTE button on"? 

But here is the really big thing:

Are you all looking forward to opening a certain Amazon package this coming Monday?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 05:54
I used quotes on progressive punk and I was indeed juvenile when I mostly listened to punk Tongue
I was not assuming that they are prog, but we were talking about our first experiences with long tracks. What was yours? Or did you immediately found prog?

Two fine singers you mentioned Thumbs Up

And I'm looking forward to get mine from the store with a bonus official merch item from being one of the first to pre-order in vinyl Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 16:20

.. but we were talking about our first experiences with long tracks. What was yours? Or did you immediately found prog?

I started my own record collection in the late 1970s, and I very quickly made up my mind as far as what I liked and what I didn't. (By the way, disco was all the rage back then Thumbs Up). I never had more than superficial interest in the orthodox 4/4 stuff, and I particularly dislike growling, screeching and distorted stuff. 

Here is what I remember enjoying in the "prog category":
  • Symphonic/Contemporary classical Yes (Fragile and Tormato). Here are your two long songs that have had my attention for 36 years: Release, Release and On The Silent Wings of Freedom. 
  • Jazzier ELP
  • Waters-Gilmour Pink Floyd. 
  • Jethro Tull

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 17:27
So you found prog right away then. It was probably easier to discover what prog was when it was a novelty, no?

I only knew what prog was and all the main bands (except Floyd) when I found this site. Before that, the only Yes song I knew was 'Owner of a Lonely Heart', the only Genesis song I knew was 'Invisible Touch' and never understood the difference between Genesis and Phil Collins solo albums LOL

I don't remember anything from Tormato: I've been listening to their entire discography for quite some time that I probably listened to that one once two years ago. I'm rarely in the right mood to listen to Yes.

Speaking of Disco, my brother played a Disco compilation a few hours ago, and I was improvising with the electric guitar over it and it had a lot of modulation and some interesting chord progressions. I don't know why some people trash this genre so much Ermm

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 17:38
In regards to Disco - the bass players had amazing dexterity and solid drive which may feature less intricacy, yet, me personally, find it somewhat less demanding playing Prog bass, than Disco bass. And this concept of solid 4/4 - once Squire claimed that it drummed rhythm and beat into most listeners whom otherwise had no clue about music.
I always love Chicago's Street Player (from their 13 album) - Cetera nailed it, tricky octaves and all.
And Blondie had a section in 7 on Heart Of Glass. Boney M too, clever bass work.
I need to check out earlier EW&F for their more musical endeavours, I've only heard the commercial 80's tracks (which don't do anything for me).

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 08 2014 at 17:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 18:12

In regards to Disco - the bass players had amazing dexterity and solid drive which may feature less intricacy, yet, me personally, find it somewhat less demanding playing Prog bass, than Disco bass.
I always thought that too, specially when they don't constantly play octaves and improvise in a very specific way. I tried more than once to improvise Disco bass and failed LOL

And this concept of solid 4/4 - once Squire claimed that it drummed rhythm and beat into most listeners whom otherwise had no clue about music.
The same can be said about Floyd: they played almost always 4/4 and in many songs the chord progression is very basic, but we all know and love it nevertheless. Smile

I always love Chicago's Street Player (from their 13 album) - Cetera nailed it, tricky octaves and all.
And Blondie had a section in 7 on Heart Of Glass. Boney M too, clever bass work.
I never listened to Chicago besides Chicago II: their discography is gigantic Confused

My father used to play a Boney M compilation cassette many times when I was a kid. That's probably why I can tolerate Disco and why my brother really likes it Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 18:30
Floyd - yes, we all lap them up.......
The thing with Prog bass, you can play intricately, but can always have a rest here, play slowly, have a rest again, then do something fast and busy.
Disco is virtually non-stop, four-on-the-floor, pacey and dare I say it, tiring to play.
And it's not my cuppa tea. But give me Disco over your Ed Sheerans and One Directions ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.
.......but give me Prog 4 ever
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 19:03

I tried more than once to improvise Disco bass and failed LOL

Have you tried to improvise disco strings as well? (strings as in fiddles and such, not an item of clothing). 

By the way, is Vangelis also classified as prog of some description? I have been going through my most recent flea market haul, and noticed I had unwittingly acquired one of their albums as a part of a $0.50 apiece impromptu spot deal. Greed is good, I tell ya. 

Edited by Argonaught - November 08 2014 at 19:03
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 19:57
Bass playing is the heart and soul of disco and R&B....Verdine White of EW&F is to me one of theee best players around. Next of course would then be Bootsy Collins.....I love both! Bernard Edwards of Chic, one of the most sampled bass lines in pop music off Good Times, made famous by the Sugarhill Gang, simply great stuff!
Also check out Louis Johnson of the Brothers Johnson, R&B/Funk.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 20:00
Back to vinyl.......This showed up today!

I will have a better post than this probably tomorrow, I am too pumped to post anything intelligent. This issue is absolutely stunning!! OMG vinyl rules!! Clap

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 20:46
^ Wow !! Looks absolutely mind-blowing.
Greg W didn't have this on his list, and I hate shopping elsewhere.......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 21:08

^ Wow !! Looks absolutely mind-blowing.
Greg W didn't have this on his list, and I hate shopping elsewhere.......

Not sure he ordered many, couple months ago I asked him to hold me a copy.

The title song is just insane...the mix is pristine, digital quiet between passages. The pressing quality could have been better, not sure who pressed this one. Hopefully no issues....will play it all by tomorrow.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 21:26
I did ask Greg to hold me a copy ages ago - should drop him a line....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 05:37

Floyd - yes, we all lap them up.......
The thing with Prog bass, you can play intricately, but can always have a rest here, play slowly, have a rest again, then do something fast and busy.
Disco is virtually non-stop, four-on-the-floor, pacey and dare I say it, tiring to play.
And it's not my cuppa tea. But give me Disco over your Ed Sheerans and One Directions ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.
.......but give me Prog 4 ever
Yeah, no other genre is as good as Prog (at least for us here), but for a genre whose main purpose is dancing, Disco is kind of complex, better than those sh***y musics youngsters (that aren't me LOL) dance to nowadays.

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Have you tried to improvise disco strings as well? (strings as in fiddles and such, not an item of clothing). 

By the way, is Vangelis also classified as prog of some description? I have been going through my most recent flea market haul, and noticed I had unwittingly acquired one of their albums as a part of a $0.50 apiece impromptu spot deal. Greed is good, I tell ya. 
I don't understand your question, but the bass playing is very tight to freely improvise: if you don't play on the right time, the music is completely ruined Tongue

I never understood why Vangelis is not fully prog here: he has been into krautrock, jazz rock and progressive electronic and those albums are very good. I don't know if it is because he is not Prog enough or because he wasn't part of any movemente, like Berlin School.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 312>