Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 08:00
[QUOTE=Meltdowner] 
I don't understand your question, Tongue
[QUOTE]

Oh, I was just making "veiled" references to certain cultural, lifestyle and fashion stereotypes that were associated with disco back in the day :)

Musically, the liberal use of some string instruments was another definitive hallmark of disco, which was responsible for much of the genre's exuberant, lush sound. Here be a very good illustration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzmgl8wifDI 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 08:36
Ok, I was still thinking about the bass, that makes sense.

Never done that, the only strings I play are Mellotron strings, or at least the custom sound I created on my keyboard that sounds a bit like Mellotron LOL

Interesting video, I never though about it, but it's really cool. Another point for Disco Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 13:06

I wish it was easy to find out what/how the process some labels use to produce a recent recording to vinyl. We all know the initial recording is digital, too easy, inexpensive and very easy to manipulate in the studio, mixing of the tracks is simple...maybe too simple for some of the older artists who are used to all analog recording.
These newer recordings probably will never need any remixing/remastering, as long as the process is done properly initially.
I find this to be the case with this recording......I am sure it was mastered to 24bit digital, its pristine. What is also evident is the mastering for vinyl on this one is brilliant. If this is a straight 24bit digital to analog, then ok but the DAC-ADC gear and process was using some of the best equipment is my guess. This was mixed for vinyl/analog, I can tell as there are some tiny, tiny, slight sound differences I hear in this compared to the redbook CD.
The CD is very good, even my 320kbps Zune/Xbox download for my portable player are good.

This vinyl package is a very good example at why vinyl can in some ways best a CD version for sound. The sound stage is much bigger, wider and deeper, the mix for vinyl really puts the players in specific spots. This makes sense since again this is probably pressed from the 24bit digital master where the CD will be truncated to 16bit, some sounds/info is not really lost but just not as evident in the playback, IMO.

Truly an experience last night as I spun these 6 sides of sonic wonder. Even if you have an entry level analog deck/setup, I trust you will hear the difference.....Well worth getting this, and besides the packaging is glorious. Comes also with a small poster......

Nice!

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 13:21
I will not buy this record, it is scratched.  My hovercraft is full of eels...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 14:24
^^ It's kind of handy when you can stand the jacket like this .. a nice panoramic backdrop for your player. 

How does the Disc 2 go into the jacket - from one of the sides of the central section, or from the top? Also, do you have to use a special outer sleeve, because I imagine the regular 12-3/4" by 12-3/4" won't go onto this 3LP jacket. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 15:38
It must sound really good, and the gatefold is very cool.
I listened to Frequency for the first time today and it amazed me very much, such clever songwriting on that one. The Road of Bones is next Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 16:36
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^^ It's kind of handy when you can stand the jacket like this .. a nice panoramic backdrop for your player. 

How does the Disc 2 go into the jacket - from one of the sides of the central section, or from the top? Also, do you have to use a special outer sleeve, because I imagine the regular 12-3/4" by 12-3/4" won't go onto this 3LP jacket. 

Its a trifold....each LP goes in the left, center and right. So to get LP2 out you open up, to get LP3 out you open the whole trifold and pull out from the middle.
It fit into a normal outer sleeve protector, a bit tight but fits. I use protectors from SleeveCity.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 16:38
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It must sound really good, and the gatefold is very cool.
I listened to Frequency for the first time today and it amazed me very much, such clever songwriting on that one. The Road of Bones is next Smile

Frequency is excellent.....not on vinyl to my knowledge. Most others are and Greg W has them, slowly I will get them Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 17:31
Discogs doesn't say anything about a vinyl version, probably there isn't one, unfortunately. For some reason I only started liking their music from Subterranea onwards, I was going to give up on them but I'm glad I didn't Smile

I saw on another thread that you got the new LZ remasters, what do you think of them? Curiously, I prefer Houses of The Holy to IV.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 17:37
^ Listening to HotH now and its stunning.....The continuation of what Page accomplished on I,II,III. I cried Cry listening to Stairway to Heaven, the sound is so big, bluesy, the 12 string is in my room.

I have HotH on CD and it is very bright, very little low end bass. These new vinyl issues are much nicer with the big Led Zeppelin sound.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 18:00
I discovered on Friday that there is a vinyl shop 3 miles from my house that I never knew about!

Went there today and it was quite nice, though there was nothing I was quite in the mood to buy today.  Came closest to buying one of the Zeppelin thingies that just came out. I want to get one just to compare to my original vinyl copies.  But they're pretty expensive.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 18:12

Discogs doesn't say anything about a vinyl version, probably there isn't one, unfortunately. 

But it sure does:

http://www.discogs.com/IQ-The-Road-Of-Bones/release/6265287

The LP version was added about a week ago. At Discogs, generating new entries (and adding new releases/versions to an existing entry) is a grassroots collaborative process, which can sometimes take days or even weeks to complete, as other members may be contributing additional info, making recommendations for error correction etc. 

I speculate that while a contributor is working on e.g. adding new pix, the entry in question may be temporarily invisible to a visitor? That would explain why you didn't see it. Just a theory.  
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 18:16
Actually, the album I wanted the most was priced at $98 dollars!  It was a copy of Bob Seger's second album "Noah" from 1969, long before he became famous, and it's been pretty much forgotten (never been on CD).  It's not even that good, and actually features another guy singing lead on half the songs (at the record company's insistence).  But it has a 6 minute psychedelic piece called "Cat" which is a real trip, and it has a great garage rocker called "Death Row" on it (both on youtube).

Would have been great to own a copy - I have a mp3 copy of it already - but $98 ??  I just couldn't.  Though it is the FIRST time I have ever actually seen a copy in the flesh.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 09 2014 at 18:17
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 18:22
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I discovered on Friday that there is a vinyl shop 3 miles from my house that I never knew about!

We have a pretty decent vinyl section in the local Books-A-Million store, but they do not do second-hand records, only new pressings. 

Then there is a small store that specializes on on what I call (probably, incorrectly) "shoegazing";  but I never go there, because I may not be able to make small talk about their kind of stuff. 

There is also a large strip mall store, but, like you said, they tend to be expensive. 

Indoor flea markets are still the best bang/$, IMO. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 19:07
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Discogs doesn't say anything about a vinyl version, probably there isn't one, unfortunately. 

But it sure does:

http://www.discogs.com/IQ-The-Road-Of-Bones/release/6265287

The LP version was added about a week ago. At Discogs, generating new entries (and adding new releases/versions to an existing entry) is a grassroots collaborative process, which can sometimes take days or even weeks to complete, as other members may be contributing additional info, making recommendations for error correction etc. 

I speculate that while a contributor is working on e.g. adding new pix, the entry in question may be temporarily invisible to a visitor? That would explain why you didn't see it. Just a theory.  

I think he was referring to Frequency.....Road of Bones is there yes. Just added it to my discogs account.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 19:15
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Actually, the album I wanted the most was priced at $98 dollars!  It was a copy of Bob Seger's second album "Noah" from 1969, long before he became famous, and it's been pretty much forgotten (never been on CD).  It's not even that good, and actually features another guy singing lead on half the songs (at the record company's insistence).  But it has a 6 minute psychedelic piece called "Cat" which is a real trip, and it has a great garage rocker called "Death Row" on it (both on youtube).

Would have been great to own a copy - I have a mp3 copy of it already - but $98 ??  I just couldn't.  Though it is the FIRST time I have ever actually seen a copy in the flesh.

Ouch...$98 is steep. It would have to be a band/artist I really liked. This one seems to have collector value all over it. I would check out discogs and other sites to see what it normally fetches. If it really is a one off print then $98 would seem cheap, especially if it is no good. Resale for big profit or keep for that "one" record nobody else has.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 19:42
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I think he was referring to Frequency.....Road of Bones is there yes. Just added it to my discogs account.

Oh, I am sorry .. it didn't register with me that "Frequency" was an album, not a track. I haven't seen the vinyl version on Amazon, eBay or Musicstack. I had Dark Matter on vinyl years ago, but have sold it since. I remember at that point they were saying that vinyl was impractical, unless the album was short enough. Wouldn't be surprised if the Road Of Bones were their first vinyl after the Dark Matter. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 20:29
"They" were dumb..WinkLOL

Edited by Catcher10 - November 09 2014 at 20:29
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 23:43
They have Subterranea and Ever on vinyl too. Got those , hopefully come into a Road Of Bones copy soon....
I'd really like Frequency to be pressed on vinyl.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 06:38
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Listening to HotH now and its stunning.....The continuation of what Page accomplished on I,II,III. I cried Cry listening to Stairway to Heaven, the sound is so big, bluesy, the 12 string is in my room.

I have HotH on CD and it is very bright, very little low end bass. These new vinyl issues are much nicer with the big Led Zeppelin sound.
Wow, I must really get those and get rid of my CD's! Tongue
'The Rain Song' must sound like heaven on those Smile

By the way, I saw that you have Steven Wilson's latest album on vinyl. How's that one on vinyl? I'm between buying in vinyl and blu-ray.

EDIT: I'll get it on blu-ray. I found it really cheap online and I need something to test my new blu-ray player Wink

Edited by Meltdowner - November 10 2014 at 08:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 312>