Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 18:21
^^^ I qualify for points 2 & 3.......
1) - receding slightly at this stage, no bald crown
4) - I obsess over Prog too much to pressure 'down there'.......
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 19:15
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Yes, but to qualify for full membership you'll need to have at least 2 of the following:
(1) A bald spot
(2) High cholesterol (high blood sugar level would do, too)
(3) No trust in humankind
(4) Something going on with your prostate

(1) I have lots of hair, but do white hair count? I already have a few and they multiply like hell Confused
(2) Too afraid to know LOL
(3) I only trust machines Tongue
(4) Same as Tom EmbarrassedLOL

When will I get the results?

There is some de-emphasized bossa nova beat on a few songs, and a lot of dreamy seventh chords, but mostly it's North American smooth jazz ... written by a certain John Klemmer (unless he is one of those Teuto-Brasileiros from Santa Catarina LOL).

To make it look more authentic, they translated the tracks' names into Pt .. get this .. Meu Amor Tem Asasa Borboleta .. that said, Charlie Byrd had done the same thing in 1962 - making a pun of his last name, 'Bossa Nova Pelos Passaros' .. and sure enough, there is a bunch of tropical byrds on the cover.
That seems nice, although why do they need to translate so badly? I can't even understand the original meaning from it. And also the English versions of Bossa Nova get on my nerves, like Garota D'Ipanema in English. This genre is to be sung in only one language, I also couldn't imagine someone singing Fado in English Confused
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 19:40
^ Oh, what a zany bunch of folks we are........(wherelse but in the Prog world.....)
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 21:16
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

That seems nice, although why do they need to translate so badly? I can't even understand the original meaning from it. And also the English versions of Bossa Nova get on my nerves, like Garota D'Ipanema in English. This genre is to be sung in only one language, I also couldn't imagine someone singing Fado in English Confused 

The main reason you can't get the meaning because there ain't none. They must have tried to conjure some "realistic" Tropicalia imagery .. FAIL .. and 'My Love Has Butterfly Wings' sounds kind of lame in English, too. 

The "Girl From Ipanema" English lyrics are truly cringeworthy.  From what I can understand, the original lyrics convey the poet's genuine emotions, which had evolved in-, and were resonating with the unique vibes of the 1960s Carioca culture. The original Garota D' Ipanema "sings itself", because the words, the rhythm and the melody are naturally interwoven .. get the melody going, and the words come up by themselves.

When I first heard the original version, I looked the words up, and I still can remember 80% of them .. without any prior knowledge of the Portuguese language .. sorry, can't do cedillas and tildes on my computer:

Olha, que coisa mais linda
(???) cheia de graca
A ella menina
Que vem, e que pasa
Num dolce balanco
Caminho de mar 

OK, bedtime here .. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 06:01
Ok, so it's 'Meu Amor Tem Asas de Borboleta' instead.

You're right, the original sounds so natural and it flows really good. It's the only Bossa song I learned on guitar classes, my head doesn't remember how to play but my fingers do, so I only can play it when I don't think about it, go figure Confused
I did a little Bossa tune last year though:
https://soundcloud.com/samuel-cadima/tetris-isec-android-theme

Here's a cedilla: ç
Use it wisely LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 07:22

I did a little Bossa tune last year though:
https://soundcloud.com/samuel-cadima/tetris-isec-android-theme
Here's a cedilla: ç Use it wisely LOL 

Thank you .. I already feel a çtrong urge to indulge in compulsive cedilla cut'n'paçting, which çucç.  

A few years ago I did a few minutes worth of bossa nova improvisation, with a little help from Ms. Yamaha. But I recorded it on a reel-to-reel, and with the idiosyncratic way my gear is configured, placed and wired I can't tease good quality digital out of it. 

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Oh, what a zany bunch of folks we are........(wherelse but in the Prog world.....)
The prog 
vinyl underworld .. abandon hope ye all who enter here Evil Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:46
LOL

That's a shame, homemade recordings were so much complicated in those days. I also used a Yamaha keyboard for the electric and grand piano and for the rythm in the second part. The thing is that my PC is not fast enough to record and play the other tracks simultaneously so it didn't sound synchronized in some parts. I had to play the piano and control the rythm with foot controls at the same time and it was recorded in the same track Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:51
^ actually, "those days" were in the year of our Lord 2008 or so. I did have an MP3 thingy already, but couldn't figure out now to operate it as a stereo recorder .. found only a mono mike input. I haven't had a desktop since 1998, and my laptops never had a decent sound card with stereo IN; only a mono mike input. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:11
Oh ok, it reminded me of the homemade recordings my father did in the 80's, that's why I said that Tongue
I actually use my laptop to record using this:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/SC-D70/
I connect to the PC through USB and it works as an external sound card. Very practical gear with many inputs and I still haven't explored the MIDI synthesizer functionality.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:21
^OK, OK .. a fancy looking box .. but first, I'll need to buy a synthesizer, because Ms. Yamaha was abducted by the ex-wife. For this, I need to get some spare money, because I don't want a $200.00 piece of plastic. Maybe, for Christmas. 

Now, how about this practical piece of gear I have just found "lying about"?

The sound quality if awful (something must be wrong with the head, because the amps work just fine), but these large VUs and the glowing tubes .. mmmmm .. and the fact that this box is coeval with bossa nova .. so special. 

Does anyone know how to insert MP3's here? 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 16:22

^OK, OK .. a fancy looking box .. but first, I'll need to buy a synthesizer, because Ms. Yamaha was abducted by the ex-wife. For this, I need to get some spare money, because I don't want a $200.00 piece of plastic. Maybe, for Christmas. 

Now, how about this practical piece of gear I have just found "lying about"?

The sound quality if awful (something must be wrong with the head, because the amps work just fine), but these large VUs and the glowing tubes .. mmmmm .. and the fact that this box is coeval with bossa nova .. so special. 

Does anyone know how to insert MP3's here? 

Nice Akai deck argo......Clean up the heads, rollers and guides with q-tips swabs and ONLY 91% IPA, do not use rubbing alcohol which is 70% IPA. Probably needs to be demagnetized as that will affect the sound especially upper frequency. I suspect the belt needs to be changed and you might have a blown tube or just need new ones to help restore the sound.

Looks pretty good from the picture.

I had an Akai similar with built in amps, speakers and also an 8-track player on the side....Actually made great sounding tapes.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 17:20
^ I only bought it only for the amps; the transport is notoriously finicky. That said, now that I pulled it out of my little tube museum, I might as well look if demagnetizing the head would help. 

Speaking of demagnetizing: today the cat dragged in a nice glossy audiophile magazine, with this little ad inside. I never knew PVC could be magnetized, but, what do I know - apparently, this cute gadget is supposed to demagnetize your records:

Any comments? 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 22:23

^ I only bought it only for the amps; the transport is notoriously finicky. That said, now that I pulled it out of my little tube museum, I might as well look if demagnetizing the head would help. 

Speaking of demagnetizing: today the cat dragged in a nice glossy audiophile magazine, with this little ad inside. I never knew PVC could be magnetized, but, what do I know - apparently, this cute gadget is supposed to demagnetize your records:

Any comments? 

These are a joke....The website states the color adder for the black vinyl contains some kind of metal particles that can be magnetized. I passed my bulk tape eraser over several albums and nothing happens, meaning the bulk eraser does not make any noise, vibrate...nothing, unlike when I use it to erase tape. My small tape head demag also did not react to the vinyl, unlike when I demag my tape heads, you can feel it vibrating.
Serious audio snake oil.....a joke.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 16:37

Holy cow, this one keeps getting better after every spin! Big smile

I also have the 2011 remaster on CD which I alternate with the vinyl, because I really like both masterings and they are particularly different from each other. On the CD the orchestra and choral really shine, especially the violin solos that leave me completely indifferent on the vinyl and are really emotional on the CD. On the other hand the piano and Hammond sound on the vinyl is amazing, really warm and present. It's interesting how a mastering can change a point of view of the album. What other albums do you think are like that?

This is one is the most special Floyd album to me Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 21:13

"Most coweted album"

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 23:47
Atom Heart is AMAZING. It originally went under an early title called 'The Amazing Pudding' !! I believe that certain members of the band can't stand it ....
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 00:59
And there are essentiallly 2 versions available (see PF ROIOs). The orchestral choral arrangement and the band only performances. the Montreux 1970 and BBC 1970 FM sources are recommended for high quality orchestral versions and Paris and San Francisco 1970 for band versions.  There are 2 veriosn still for San Fran as PF did a gig at the Fillmore West as well as a TV show earlier that day. My preferred version is actually the San Diego 1971 versions but only recommended for people who don't mind audience sourced recordings (the performance is blinding though). This is the sort of archive release PF should have in official public view.

I understand Ron Geesin, Waters and Mason are a bit irked as parts don't match up exactly timing wise on the studio version. Probably due to the latter two recording the rhythm track in one take (how many I don't know but all at once) and Geesin's charts being a beat out here and there.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 11:56
I have been looking for a good used copy. My original copy is broken due to a house move Cry....They are not easy to find and usually are pretty well beaten up, but still command a decent $$.

I keep digging though.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 14:18

"Most coweted album"
LOL
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Atom Heart is AMAZING. It originally went under an early title called 'The Amazing Pudding' !! I believe that certain members of the band can't stand it ....
I know, right? They speak like it's their most sh**tiest release, althought each fan attributes this title to a different album (to me it's The Final Cut) Tongue.
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

There are 2 veriosn still for San Fran as PF did a gig at the Fillmore West as well as a TV show earlier that day.

I understand Ron Geesin, Waters and Mason are a bit irked as parts don't match up exactly timing wise on the studio version. Probably due to the latter two recording the rhythm track in one take (how many I don't know but all at once) and Geesin's charts being a beat out here and there.
I have the live recording of that San Francisco TV show. At first I thought: "AHM without orchestra? That's awful". Fortunately I was wrong, they managed to give it an extra psychedelic touch Smile
Waters and Mason probably trashed the album because of it Ermm
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have been looking for a good used copy. My original copy is broken due to a house move Cry....They are not easy to find and usually are pretty well beaten up, but still command a decent $$.

I keep digging though.......

Cry

This one was my best buy from last year: found it on sale online from the original owner very near me and it costed not much more than my CD copy. It's a portuguese pressing from 1970 (didn't even know that existed) and only has a little damage on the left, that can be seen in the picture, but other than that it's in great condition, I can probably sell it for twice the price I paid for it (but I won't Tongue). Hope you found a good copy as well Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 14:42
^ I will find one soon I am sure.......Don't sell it, I don't sell my vinyl.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 312>