Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 18:54
LOL I prefer apples, but now that I wanted a pear I don't have any CryLOL

I don't know much classical composers besides the most popular ones. It was probably my conversation with Rick Robson on the "What albums did you listen today?" thread about the Chopin LP I bought. By the way, I listened this week to the Tchaikovsky 6th Symphony I also bought and it's amazing, really touching music. I also like to read those extensive liner notes on classical LP's, those help a lot to understand what you're listening Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 19:29
I have a ton of cassette tapes of classical albums, my father was a big classical music lover..Chopin, Strauss. I have been considering adding a cassette deck but cannot find one I like. Plus I have a ton of tapes of my music, so for very nostalgic reasons would be nice to play them.
Maybe next year I will get a deck......
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 19:56
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

LOL I prefer apples, but now that I wanted a pear I don't have any CryLOL 

I think it was Master Yoda who said that "Will make you happy, wanting what you have, hmmmmm", or something to this effect. Or was it the Dalai Lama in Google translation? 

I don't know much classical composers besides the most popular ones. It was probably my conversation with Rick Robson on the "What albums did you listen today?" thread about the Chopin LP I bought. By the way, I listened this week to the Tchaikovsky 6th Symphony I also bought and it's amazing, really touching music. I also like to read those extensive liner notes on classical LP's, those help a lot to understand what you're listening Smile

Yes sir, liner notes of human size is yet another attribute that makes vinyl records a more complete aesthetic experience. If you want to try some bona fide proggy romantic classical, you may want to experiment with Alexander Scriabin or Hector Berlioz. But I think you already know that, don't you? Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 21:23

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-biggest-music-comeback-of-2014-vinyl-records-1418323133?mod=e2fb

More of what we already know, but some other good read in this WSJ article on our beloved 12" round analog music format.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 22:03
This album just mesmerizes me now, the SW remix is brilliant

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 22:49
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-biggest-music-comeback-of-2014-vinyl-records-1418323133?mod=e2fb
More of what we already know, but some other good read in this WSJ article on our beloved 12" round analog music format. 
" indie-rock fans, are buying records in greater numbers, attracted to the perceived superior sound quality of vinyl"
I happen to have one or two modern "indie" records, and it can say for sure that the sound quality is definitely no object for the "indie rock fans". 

I have all but lost interest in buying modern pressings for a variety of reasons. TER was probably the last album of the digital era that I bought on vinyl, and I did it mostly for the cover art and stuff. It's more fun and a better ROI to raid flea markets or trawl discogs and ebay for some obscure and not-so-obscure stuff from the real analog era. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 23:19
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

" indie-rock fans, are buying records in greater numbers, attracted to the perceived superior sound quality of vinyl"
I happen to have one or two modern "indie" records, and it can say for sure that the sound quality is definitely no object for the "indie rock fans". 

I have all but lost interest in buying modern pressings for a variety of reasons. TER was probably the last album of the digital era that I bought on vinyl, and I did it mostly for the cover art and stuff. It's more fun and a better ROI to raid flea markets or trawl discogs and ebay for some obscure and not-so-obscure stuff from the real analog era. 

I totally agree...I have no clue what these indie albums sound like...but the fact remains they are buying the albums in vinyl format versus CD or digital downloads. The SQ obviously is second fiddle to the musical experience of spinning vinyl and being amazed at what is coming off the vinyl. Remember, most buy vinyl for the warmth of sound, beefier and a richer midrange than what digital and CD can give apparently, most young kids I talk to reference this as a main reason for listening to vinyl.

I agree in that I too will scour the used bins, but I am buying way more new vinyl pressings. All new recordings are digital now, and as long as they are recorded and mastered to a 24bit digital file and this is used to press the vinyl, it will sound pretty damn good.

I don't fight the format battle, but I know what sounds better to my ears...Clap
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 23:30
It boils down to the actual 'ritual' of plonking on a large black disc, hearing the AMAZING sounds, flipping it over etc. getting more 'involved' with the whole procedure. Most satisfying. Oh, and 12x12 is better than 4x4........with the visual aesthetics.......

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 11 2014 at 23:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 00:14
I have heard people say that size doesn't matter, but it kind of does:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 14:24

I have a ton of cassette tapes of classical albums, my father was a big classical music lover..Chopin, Strauss. I have been considering adding a cassette deck but cannot find one I like. Plus I have a ton of tapes of my music, so for very nostalgic reasons would be nice to play them.
Maybe next year I will get a deck......
For me it's the other way around, I think I have 4 cassette decks and not a single cassette worth playing LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 14:31

I think it was Master Yoda who said that "Will make you happy, wanting what you have, hmmmmm", or something to this effect. Or was it the Dalai Lama in Google translation?

Yes sir, liner notes of human size is yet another attribute that makes vinyl records a more complete aesthetic experience. If you want to try some bona fide proggy romantic classical, you may want to experiment with Alexander Scriabin or Hector Berlioz. But I think you already know that, don't you? Thumbs Up
Does Master Yoda speaks normally in Google translation? LOL

I find annoying those CD's with really small letters that I can barely read. Never heard of those. I'll check them out Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 16:17

I find annoying those CD's with really small letters that I can barely read. Never heard of those. I'll check them out Smile 

I have these, and I's say this stuff is a lot proggier than a lot of albums, listed on PA. 

The good thing about classical LPs from the 1960s and 70s is at that time they were produced to the most exacting standards of fidelity and workmanship, unlike "pop" music that wasn't seen as needing high sound quality. Also, pop albums would have been played a lot more often, likely on cheaper equipment and by less caring owners. 

As the results, today it's easy to get for a few dollars or even less a NM classical record that may well be 50 years old, yet sounds absolutely fantastic.  

I find almost everything about CDs' annoying. It's too small to read the notes, but not small enough to fit into your pocket. After a couple of uses in the car player a CD begins to look scratched, and yes! - they skip. Jewel cases that are not brand new look dirty (thankfully, digipak is a lot better). 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 17:59
Very creepy covers, like some of the best prog albums ;)
The ones that I bought are also from the 60s/70s and I was impressed by the quality and they are quite heavy. Only paid 2€ for each NM :D

Digipaks don't look so nice either after some time, at least mine don't
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 15:59

Received my first paycheck ever. Bought myself something pretty Wink
Nice finds.....those are excellent, have not seen some of those in my stores. Let us know about the sound quality
Only that Triumvirat album left to listen. About the others:
- Jean Michel Jarre, Concerts in China - I already knew some tracks from a compilation on CD that my father has but I only got into some of those now: the electronic drums sound really powerful and all those effects and synth tracks are easy to distinct on vinyl. This one needs to be approached carefully though, because some arrangements sound really cheesy; good thing they didn't play any song from Oxygène. Brought some good childhood memories and for me that's something Smile
- Yes, Time and a Word - I noticed earlier that Squire's bass work was impressive and catchy and on vinyl he's the main character. Like many albums from its time, there are those stereo effects that sound like they were trying to impress listeners to the power of stereo: I compare it to what movie producers recently did with 3D Tongue. I also like Kaye's simplistic but effective keyboard work and Banks' jazzy guitar tone. The orchestral arrangements contribute to their popier sound and it's a very enjoyable and unique album but good thing that Howe and Wakeman joined Yes after Wink
- Camel, Nude - Like Supertramp, I think Camel is also made to be listened on analogic. I finally understood the concept thanks to those big liner notes and it's a really sad story. This one sounds like The Snow Goose's younger brother with soft 80's sound and Gilmourish guitar.

Anyway, my trip to Lisbon was nice and bought some really cool LP's and saw many others (this is starting to be a good touristic tradition). With my enthusiasm I forgot to ask about the sleeves Tongue I'll share those one by one after listening, it seems more fun this way Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 17:43
What do you guys think of this album.....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 21:47

And here what progressive music was like before there was "prog", more precisely, 101 years ago. Perhaps, I should re-post it in the thread, discussing whether Miles Davis is prog .. Sleepy 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 05:35

What do you guys think of this album.....

My favourite MO album and I'm a big fan of his work. I really like the youthfulness and ingenuity of his ideas and compositions. Like AHM, this one is perfect imperfection Wink
Only have it on CD; that LP is really cool Cool
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 05:39

And here what progressive music was like before there was "prog", more precisely, 101 years ago. Perhaps, I should re-post it in the thread, discussing whether Miles Davis is prog .. Sleepy 

Great read, I can feel the enthusiasm of the person who wrote that. I'll have to listen to it, although I won't understand the concept like you do Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 06:41
^ this is just to illustrate that the realm of progressive music is quite a bit broader (and older) than the PA discography. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 10:46
^ Almost all classical music carries structure that exceeds anything within the progressive rock umbrella. It does take a deeper understanding of music to appreciate it..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 312>