Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 11:06
^ man, isn't it sad that by the time you have refined your taste and educated your mind into comprehending some classical you already can't read nothin' on the record jacket w/o gosh darned glasses on!

"If the young knew; if the old could".
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 11:25
^ Yup....Started using readers about 2yrs ago and I am only 50!! LOL

I've been to a couple symphonies and I say I prefer live classical to listening on my system, that does not resonate with me....Live is pretty nice.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 20:03
OMG !!! Check out Greg Walkers new list of vinyl titles !!!! FMD......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 20:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

OMG !!! Check out Greg Walkers new list of vinyl titles !!!! FMD......

I did...what are you gonna buy me???
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 01:05
^ This list is the one I've been waiting for......sooooo many incredible titles that I have to think of myself before anyone else this time........... " No soup for you !! "
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 03:59
Walked out of HMV (Oxford St., London) with copies of Neu! third album and Gong's I See You on vinyl.

I only went in for a t-shirt. Ouch
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 06:54
^ Nice, Dean.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 06:57
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

The good thing about classical LPs from the 1960s and 70s is at that time they were produced to the most exacting standards of fidelity and workmanship, unlike "pop" music that wasn't seen as needing high sound quality. Also, pop albums would have been played a lot more often, likely on cheaper equipment and by less caring owners. 

As the results, today it's easy to get for a few dollars or even less a NM classical record that may well be 50 years old, yet sounds absolutely fantastic.  

I find almost everything about CDs' annoying. It's too small to read the notes, but not small enough to fit into your pocket. After a couple of uses in the car player a CD begins to look scratched, and yes! - they skip. Jewel cases that are not brand new look dirty (thankfully, digipak is a lot better). 

I have 1000's of LPs, I'll never get rid of them ...
but the problem with Classical on LP is once they have a tic or pop it ruins the album for me .. I don't mind it as much with Rock.
I've never had the problem with CDs looking scratched after being played in a car.

and as far as the covers go .. LP covers bend and get that album ring wear if you have a lot close together..

The think I hate about CD cases is that they are slippery as fish and if you drop them they break the hinge tabs ..
(but at least they can be easily replaced)

Each have their positives and negatives ..

I do miss the 12" art of the LP but I love the fact that CDs are smaller and easier to store.

I've got too damn many of both

Edited by Walton Street - December 16 2014 at 06:57
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 15:27
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

The good thing about classical LPs from the 1960s and 70s is at that time they were produced to the most exacting standards of fidelity and workmanship, unlike "pop" music that wasn't seen as needing high sound quality. Also, pop albums would have been played a lot more often, likely on cheaper equipment and by less caring owners. 

As the results, today it's easy to get for a few dollars or even less a NM classical record that may well be 50 years old, yet sounds absolutely fantastic.  

I find almost everything about CDs' annoying. It's too small to read the notes, but not small enough to fit into your pocket. After a couple of uses in the car player a CD begins to look scratched, and yes! - they skip. Jewel cases that are not brand new look dirty (thankfully, digipak is a lot better). 

I have 1000's of LPs, I'll never get rid of them ...
but the problem with Classical on LP is once they have a tic or pop it ruins the album for me .. I don't mind it as much with Rock.
I've never had the problem with CDs looking scratched after being played in a car.

and as far as the covers go .. LP covers bend and get that album ring wear if you have a lot close together..

The think I hate about CD cases is that they are slippery as fish and if you drop them they break the hinge tabs ..
(but at least they can be easily replaced)

Each have their positives and negatives ..

I do miss the 12" art of the LP but I love the fact that CDs are smaller and easier to store.

I've got too damn many of both

I agree with you on the CD-Classical music thought.....If I was into classical music it probably would only be on CD but better on high resolution files like 24/96 or even DSD/DXD. There is a lot of titles available on hi-rez for classical.....
Although one of my favorite record stores in Tacoma the owner has a whole wall, about 10' high x 30' long of all classical vinyl.....Tons of box sets. I would think somewhere around 3,000 albums.....Shocked
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 17:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Walked out of HMV (Oxford St., London) with copies of Neu! third album and Gong's I See You on vinyl.

I only went in for a t-shirt. Ouch
Did you get the t-shirt at least? Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 17:55
I started listening to my last purchases. Exhibit A:

This one is in excelent condition, barely no crackles or noise. I imagined a whole lost and lonely space story while listening to it and I was the main character, it really takes the mind somewhere else. Wacko
Virgin was taking people to space way before their space program Tongue

Edited by Meltdowner - December 26 2014 at 19:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:07
^ you all have no dust in Portugal? 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:15
^ I don't understand your question Ermm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:34
^ you see, I have this strange fixation on keeping the dust cover down when a record is being played. I feel like if I left the cover up all the evil dust particles from within a 10-mile radius would swoop down upon the record Shocked

Dust just drives me crazy .. something to listen do while going insane:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:44
^ No, I listened with the dust cover down (and the lights off). This was for the photo Tongue
Not much problem with dust here either, especially now.

Weird cover, what is that?

By the way, I listened to Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique today and it sure is progressive Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:56
^ Dust cover: sigh of relief 

Weird cover: Tres Cabeças Loucuras, appropriately. An MPB-free blend of tropicalia and psych, riding on the chassis of moderately experimental jazz. 

Symphonie Fantastique: did you like it at least, or did it turn out too Fantastique?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:11

^ you see, I have this strange fixation on keeping the dust cover down when a record is being played. I feel like if I left the cover up all the evil dust particles from within a 10-mile radius would swoop down upon the record Shocked

Dust just drives me crazy .. something to listen do while going insane:

Cool cover.....I may have seen that in a bin somewhere. Hitting a couple record stores tomorrow with my wife, will look for it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 23:14
Spinning this one....Cajun bayou music from Louisiana, for my wife as she is a Cajun Coon A$$.....Big smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 18:19

^ Dust cover: sigh of relief 

Weird cover: Tres Cabeças Loucuras, appropriately. An MPB-free blend of tropicalia and psych, riding on the chassis of moderately experimental jazz. 

Symphonie Fantastique: did you like it at least, or did it turn out too Fantastique?
That seems like pleasent music, I'll see if I can find it on streaming

One of the most Fantastique classical pieces I listened to: so unpredictable and different from any classical music I heard. Big smile

And speaking of brazilian music, LP nº 2:

Know for his keyboard work on Yes' Relayer, this solo album is symphonic with LOTS of vintage keyboards and crazy time signatures (like Sound Chaser), some fusion jazz and electronic feeling and even more unique, all kinds of brazilian percussion. Do you have this one Argo? This seems to me like something you would enjoy Smile

Edited by Meltdowner - December 26 2014 at 19:07
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 18:23
That's an insane album, Sam, sounds like nothing else! I think I recently took it off my Ipod, though, as much as I like it, it's not something I listen to enough to keep on there. But it knocks me over whenever I do play it, so many schizophrenic ideas and styles!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 312>