Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 04:47
^ it is. I wonder where these fancy splashy records are pressed. Not that I was going to buy any Big smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 06:33
I got the QVL album a few years ago - just a regular black vinyl.
I've acquired several 'splatter' style LP's over the last few years, even my neice got a lovely vinyl of a Pierce The Veil album that looks fantastic - translucent blue and green splatter. She's also acquired a Ghostbusters 10" that glows in the dark !!
On many occasions, I select a vinyl title, and lo-and-behold, it's some random colour I didn't expect !! I don't go out of my way to get any 'fancy' vinyl, but if a title I wish to get happens to be coloured, then so be it.

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 31 2014 at 06:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 06:43
^ well, I guess that's how "they" keep the vinyl people entertained Big smile
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 08:20
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ the reason I am curious is because I used to have the "real" version, but sold it a few years ago, along with the rest of RPI stuff I had.  
Unhappy

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Interesting music store.......
True, although I thought the shipping costs were low because they come from Italy but they are way higher than Synphonic's Ermm

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

She's also acquired a Ghostbusters 10" that glows in the dark !!
That seems cool Smile
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

On many occasions, I select a vinyl title, and lo-and-behold, it's some random colour I didn't expect !! I don't go out of my way to get any 'fancy' vinyl, but if a title I wish to get happens to be coloured, then so be it.
If you could choose an LP edition between black or 'fancy' for almost the same price would you choose black? Wink

Except for a white single, all my vinyls are black and I would like to get something different to look at, so my new year's resolution is to get a fancy vinyl Tongue
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 08:40
I don't know about new vinyl but in the seventies some people thought colored vinyl didn't have the same quality as the standard black vinyl.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 08:51
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I don't know about new vinyl but in the seventies some people thought colored vinyl didn't have the same quality as the standard black vinyl.
I recall hearing that too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 12:23
Colored vinyl got a little popular in the mid seventies and I picked up a few things just for the heck of it.

LPs
Be-Bop Deluxe - Live In The Air Age - white (one disk)
Gran max - A Ninth Alive - white
Starz - Violation - yellow (sealed copy)

45s
ELO - Telephone Line - green
Starz - Cherry Baby - yellow
Starz - Sing It, Shout It - yellow
Rainbow - L.A. Connection - red
Robin Trower - It's For You - red
UFO - Too Hot To Handle - red
Graham Parker - Hold Back The Night - pink
Larry Foster - California - blue
Alan Price - Baby Of Mine - red (heart shaped)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 13:14
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I recall hearing that too.

Yes heard that...but I think that applies to black as well. The recent color/splatter I have acquired sounds damn good. I was very surprised by the two recent Dream Theater albums I got in splatter....Awake and Falling Into Infinity, both are excellent considering first time issued on vinyl. They were remastered for vinyl and you can tell, the mix on Awake is a bit different than my CD version.

Super quiet surface and the packaging is really nice.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 16:20
I have been known to select regular black over coloured vinyl issues......even with the same price tag.
I think it's true that coloured vinyl of the 70's/80's have poorer SQ. I even hear some 'old geezers' at a record fair saying that the first Curved Air album (Air Conditioning) had a pic-disc release with NO sound at all !!
Still, even these days, pic-discs are a bit iffy - my copy of Par Lindh Project 'Gothic Impressions' - has a tiny air-bubble on track 2 that skips on one revolution - same deal with my Anyone's Daughter pic-disc. The recent Iron Maiden albums are mostly pic-discs and sound great. White vinyl supposedly had the worst sound back in the day, but these days they are sounding spot-on.
Also, most LP's now are very thick - obviously the grooves may be etched deeper and sound better. All in all, LP's these days are mostly incredible quality, in both vinyl and covers.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 16:36
This was just something I heard and I doubt that there was much to it.
I've played the UFO and ELO 45s and they didn't sound any different than the LP version on standard black vinyl.
I don't own any of the new vinyl but it wouldn't surprise me if they were better than the 70s vinyl.
Back then albums were selling like crazy and when supply has to keep up with demand the quality usually suffers. In some cases the records got thinner and they were even rougher around the edge.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 07:16
My co-workers decorated my office in honor of my being here for 10 years today, and came up with a nice decoration concept.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 07:20
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Nancy Sinatra / Boots Yes, I still play it.
lol my mind played tricks with me at first I read boobs Big smile, then I realized it's these boots are made for walking LOL hugs Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 07:26
This is vinyl and  even if it's a kids tune, it's actually brilliant, the frog song... bom bom bom hurry up Big smileThumbs Up
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 07:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpevZ0-wUYQ
PAUL MCCARTNEY WE ALL STAND TOGETHER (THE FROG SONG) -HQ
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Yes, I still play it. lol my mind played tricks with me at first I read boobs Big smile, then I realized it's these boots are made for walking LOL hugs Hug 

You spend way too much time in the nerds' locker room that doubles as PA. Osmosis is real, and it works :)

Edited by Argonaught - January 02 2015 at 09:21
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 09:38
^ I witnessed that many times in college: too many nerd guys and very few girls.... and I also read boobs LOL
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 09:46
It's funny how eventually society decided that "boobs" was an okay and acceptable word to use in public.  I remember when any word but "breasts" was considered vulgar (and even then it was preferable to not mention them at all), and gradually women everywhere started saying "boobs" in the media and on TV, and the guys were like "well, I guess it's ok to say that now", and it was.  I still have a hard time saying it because old habits die hard.

I said "hard".... heh heh heh

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 09:54
[QUOTE=HolyMoly] I remember when any word but "breasts" was considered vulgar (and even then it was preferable to not mention them at all), and gradually women everywhere started saying "boobs" cul[QUOTE]

Yep, I still prefer to say "chest" or "bust" to stay on the safe side. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 09:59

My co-workers decorated my office in honor of my being here for 10 years today, and came up with a nice decoration concept. 

Those are just cardboard cutouts, aren't they? I sure hope they didn't "borrow" some of your treasured records for this!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 10:02
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Those are just cardboard cutouts, aren't they? I sure hope they didn't "borrow" some of your treasured records for this!
Yeah, just cardboard.  But they still sound better than CDs.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 312>