Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 23:36
Totally! Also have Cargo. Both are in great condition
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 20:25
Originally posted by Galactic Melt Galactic Melt wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Arrived from across the pond last night!! Will be spinning it tomorrow night, wonderful packaging, vinyl sleeves full of lyrics.

Should be excellent

I'm about to order this myself. Please let us know what you think of the quality. Smile  I heard it's really awesome.

Welcome Galactic Melt to the greatest thread on PAParty Big smile.......As with all Marillion vinyl it is glorious! They along with Porcupine Tree produce some of the best sounding vinyl of late, STCBM is right up there. The mix is what it should be for vinyl.....It will not disappoint.

Cheers!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 20:28
This showed up today in my mailbox!! Beautiful packaging, tons of pics on the vinyl sleeves, lyrics, green clear vinyl and all in a box cover.

Gonna be a great night of spinning wax!!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 20:31
^ - Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.....
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 19:39

This showed up today in my mailbox!! Beautiful packaging, tons of pics on the vinyl sleeves, lyrics, green clear vinyl and all in a box cover.

Gonna be a great night of spinning wax!!

Whooaaa! Jealous!
I'm still waiting for mine in the mail. Let us know how you enjoy it.
:)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 23:28
^ Its an excellent album, the title track is killer!! There may be one song I have not connected with but thats it.....The bonus/cover material is also excellent!
Next weeks show is gonna be amazing....Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 20:38
As usual.....Marillion have done it again. The new vinyl issue of Sounds That Can't Be Made is mixed so well....Clean, smooth, warm, it just draws you in. H's vocals are so up front and in your face, you can so place him in the soundstage...Pete's bass lines are so full, deep and rattle the bones.
The bass line and kick bass drum on Power is incredible, you can almost see Pete plucking that rythmn and the synth sounds just floating all over the room...so cool! Gaza also just comes alive, putting you right in the middle of that whole mess.

An album I thought was just so-so whenever I listened to my CD version, on vinyl has given me such a new perspective, this album has more to offer for sure.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 20:56
^ man Jose it's been an absolute pleasure listening and seeing how happy you are with your music in the vinyl world of sound. I dig your passion and can 100% relate to it.
Keep proggin it buddy. Don't lose that love for the music. It's a beautiful thing.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 21:32
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^ man Jose it's been an absolute pleasure listening and seeing how happy you are with your music in the vinyl world of sound. I dig your passion and can 100% relate to it.
Keep proggin it buddy. Don't lose that love for the music. It's a beautiful thing.

10-4 good buddy! The passion for music has always been there, it never left. Took a pause as my wife and I raised our kids, no time for me during all those years...They are older now and look after themselves for the most part, so now I can devote more time to music.
Vinyl also took a pause as during those years due to time.....but now I can sit downstairs in my listening lair LOL and immerse myself in my music.

And bands like Marillion have helped me go to another place. The quality of some vinyl issues today is really insane, it just adds to the whole experience especially for someone like me who grew up on vinyl but never could afford the higher quality gear....and now I can.

Music is awesome
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 09:01

10-4 good buddy! The passion for music has always been there, it never left. Took a pause as my wife and I raised our kids, no time for me during all those years...They are older now and look after themselves for the most part, so now I can devote more time to music.
Vinyl also took a pause as during those years due to time.....but now I can sit downstairs in my listening lair LOL and immerse myself in my music.

And bands like Marillion have helped me go to another place. The quality of some vinyl issues today is really insane, it just adds to the whole experience especially for someone like me who grew up on vinyl but never could afford the higher quality gear....and now I can.

Music is awesome

Empty nester I see. Looks like you got your Prog den back in full!
Yup. My parents are now empty nesters as well. They appreciate the space and so do I. Lol!
Having your own 'Man Cave' or what have you is such a great feeling.
I certainly appreciate it and it ignites your love of music even more. I mean you get to customize everything to your liking and spend money on quality sound equipment. So worth it. Bet yours is great.
And FYI that green vinyl looks fantastic for the new kaleidoscope record.
Beautiful stuff. Beats the hell out of CD :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 13:51
^ Not an empty nester yet......but they can fix their own meals and know how to use the toilet, so I don't have to be watching them 24/7 anymore. Yea i can crank as loud as i want, my wife does not care, she knows I am just having fun.
Headbanger
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 19:57

^ Not an empty nester yet......but they can fix their own meals and know how to use the toilet, so I don't have to be watching them 24/7 anymore. Yea i can crank as loud as i want, my wife does not care, she knows I am just having fun.
Headbanger

Haha. Yes. All the power to domesticated children. And your wife is a cool one.
Keep cranking it with that big crin on your face. I work nights so I'm home during the day and the people who live above me are gone so I crank the living sh*t out of my music. It's the best man. Beats even listening to music through my hifi cans. I giggle a bit cause my sound system is freakin loud. Lol
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 23:14
For those that have an original Charisma pressing know that this album was not a good mix, it is veiled, muddy and mostly without life.

These Rhino remix/remasters are amazing. The veil has been lifted and the glorious music that is Genesis is even more evident. These are also half-speed remasters and are well known for their sound quality on most forums, I have Foxtrot, SEBtP and Nursery Cryme as these Rhino remix/remasters, all of which are excellent. Eventually I will get The Lamb and Trespass.....

More Fool Me is a real standout on this album as well as Dancing w/Moonlit Night and the brilliant Firth of Fifth...basically the whole album Big smile

Genesis was brilliance....and on vinyl its even that much better, for me at least Thumbs Up
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 23:18

For those that have an original Charisma pressing know that this album was not a good mix, it is veiled, muddy and mostly without life.

These Rhino remix/remasters are amazing. The veil has been lifted and the glorious music that is Genesis is even more evident. These are also half-speed remasters and are well known for their sound quality on most forums, I have Foxtrot, SEBtP and Nursery Cryme as these Rhino remix/remasters, all of which are excellent. Eventually I will get The Lamb and Trespass.....

More Fool Me is a real standout on this album as well as Dancing w/Moonlit Night and the brilliant Firth of Fifth...basically the whole album Big smile

Genesis was brilliance....and on vinyl its even that much better, for me at least Thumbs Up

Their best Big smile
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 23:30

Truly awesome Jose!!! So glad you got the latest remaster pressings. God, it makes a world of difference.
Also, I listened to selling England today as well in honor of my latest gift from my dear brother of mine where by I got an amazing Portable DAC/AMP player!!! I just love it!! I received the FIIO ALPEN E 17 model and its given me a nice taste of the vinyl/Analog sound world. I really appreciate the difference and there certainly are a few sound wise. ;)
Bass and dynamics are far different than a digital feed. It's a pretty good DAC player and the AMP gets fairly warm.
I will say that between the Digital and Analog sound differences, that one really isn't definitively better than the other...they are just different and it comes down to what you really like when pumping out the jams. ;)
So far, what I can say is that Analog conversion offers a bit more of an authentic sound but the dynamics I feel digital signal is far superior. This was of course tested very well today with my HD 800's. great experience.
Listened to some great classics today and The Analog warmth with Selling England By The Pound was the highlight of my day. :)

Prog on!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 19:27
Very cool....those FIIO HP amps are pretty nice, a very good value. I have a standalone DAC for my system, it is tube based so I am able to run my CD player thru it and get a nice warm tube analog sound from my CDs. Although the DAC in my CD player is better, but sometimes a CD that is too bright or digital sounding causing listener fatigue is helped by running it thru the tube DAC.

I'm an analog guy, but does not matter what or how you listen...as long as you "prog on!!"

Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 21:14
Showed up in the mailbox today!! Another homerun by Madfish label......immaculate analog pressing. I am not sure if there is anyone better with vocals on vinyl, at least in my collection, than H.
I can almost feel his breath coming out of my speakers it is so life like, the detail is insane!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 21:15
Right on Jose. Right on.

My DAC sounds better through the AUX hook up to my CD player as well.
What I've also done is that I'm using my portable DAC in partnership with my stereo amp as well, so I have a ton of power to run those HD 800's very well. The Impedance range on my FIIO E 17 is 32 to 300 OHMS and my 800's are 300ohms on the nose! So it's great to have the dual power source to bring out the full dynamics of the salad bowl cans. Lol. As for the conversion. Yes. The FIIO amp is a decent Digital to Analog converter. I get a pretty nice warm sound with that authentic fuzz in the punchy Bass lines, so I'm quite happy with what the FIIO can do. It's great for the money. Really great and I get a really nice taste of that character in vinyl sound for a very good price.

Lastly. What's the vinyl album of 2013 for you? What really knocked you out sound wise?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 21:58

Right on Jose. Right on.

Lastly. What's the vinyl album of 2013 for you? What really knocked you out sound wise?

That's easy.....Steven Wilson~The Raven That Refused to Sing. He does such an amazing job of mixing, each track each instrument is well balanced. The imaging is excellent, meaning I can pinpoint where the musician is standing in the studio or stage. Its not a loud mix nor a subdued mix, for vinyl he hit it out of the park....

Very, very close to that is the reissue of Marillion~Brave in 2013. Remixed from the original analog tapes, absolutely brilliant IMO! The power and emotion of that album oozes from my turntable, but since you listen to that one with the lights off, hard to see the ooze LOL.

Edited by Catcher10 - February 04 2014 at 21:59
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodnarfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 14:34
Since I am just getting started in vinyl... I decided to buy an entry-level turn table from a little company called U-turn. They began from kickstarter with the goal of "An all-analog turntable for today's vinyl listener. High-performance playback, attainably priced." and  "cutting the cost of high performance playback in half."  They manufacture all their tables by hand.  The quality is supposedly unbeatable for the price, the only problem is they are so popular at the moment, there is a two month wait list before it arrives.  I don't know if you guys have heard of them before?  I'm not sure if it was wise to get one rather than putting up the money for a mid-level table.  Reviews so far have been good though, excited to get it near the end of March!

http://uturnaudio.com/turntable-store/orbit-plus-turntable

Edited by bloodnarfer - February 05 2014 at 14:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 312>