Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 15:29
^ I am so glad they did it properly - from analog source, and DMM is good stuff, too. Some say it over-emphasizes the highs, but that shouldn't be a problem. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 17:00
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ disc cleaners as in "equipment" or formulations? 

I'm interested in cleaning {washing?) the records. I know that over the years impurities can build up in the grooves and cause surface noise and even small skips.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 17:01
I've got good news and bad news.

Good news:  while cleaning out the storage unit - i found another great big box of records.

Bad news:  while cleaning out the storage unit - i found another great big box of records.
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 17:25
^ I would take the positive approach and call that "good news".
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 17:50
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Good news:  while cleaning out the storage unit - i found another great big box of records.

Bad news:  while cleaning out the storage unit - i found another great big box of records.

Perfect!! Again, you should reward your hard work with buying more vinyl....Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 18:00
I had to send in my Audio Technica cartridge to their service group for repair as the cantilever looked a bit off. AT called me back and said on the bench the cart was at spec, but under microscope they did notice the issue, they just replaced it with a new one since it was still under warranty Thumbs Up Clap. I just installed it again have it all aligned up perfectly. Need probably 30 hours to break it in some...then bliss again!

Listening to this one.......supreme album!! Not only the content but brilliantly done and the SQ is glorious, the sweeping sounds, keyboards, vocals.

Edited by Catcher10 - January 23 2015 at 18:03
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 18:06
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This shipped today from Rushbackstage, will report back on the sound quality, should have this early next week. I expect the SQ should be good if not excellent, these are off the original analog tapes done by Abbey Road studios using the DMM process, direct metal plating on 200g vinyl.

Next month Caress of Steel.....

Cool! I still don't know where I'll buy it: I saw on that site and also Amazon and the shipping prices/time are not very inviting Confused I'll keep searching...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 18:28

Perfect!! Again, you should reward your hard work with buying more vinyl....Big smile

i have no space left - cramming them any way i can now .. like a virgin on prom night.

this was an important box though - it had j's k's l's in it, so the King Crimson, Tull, Zep, elton john, killing joke, and Japan was in there, among others

- SpongeBob Socrates
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 18:39

i have no space left - cramming them any way i can now .. like a virgin on prom night.

this was an important box though - it had j's k's l's in it, so the King Crimson, Tull, Zep, elton john, killing joke, and Japan was in there, among others

Buy another house.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 18:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

This shipped today from Rushbackstage, will report back on the sound quality, should have this early next week. I expect the SQ should be good if not excellent, these are off the original analog tapes done by Abbey Road studios using the DMM process, direct metal plating on 200g vinyl.

Next month Caress of Steel.....

Cool! I still don't know where I'll buy it: I saw on that site and also Amazon and the shipping prices/time are not very inviting Confused I'll keep searching...
Ordered, I'll probably get it next week Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 19:05
Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 21:51

Buy another house.....

my ex almost kept me from getting the hovel i just moved into

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 04:46
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I'm interested in cleaning {washing?) the records. I know that over the years impurities can build up in the grooves and cause surface noise and even small skips.
I can tell you what I ended up doing, without stating that this is the way, the truth and the life of vinyl care. There are multiple schools of thinking, of course. 

If a record is heavily soiled, I gently scrub it with a detergent solution, using a small paint pad. Following the direction of the grooves. Then rinse it with "distilled" water and repeat the process, but this time on a cheap and crude record cleaning machine ($200.00) like this. The one I bought sucked, or, rather, failed to suck properly, so it had to undergo some redneck re-engineering.  

One could experiment with the detergent concentration, and long for to leave the detergent solution on the record before you turn the machine on. Sometimes the machine cycle needs to be repeated, but yet, it does make the record clean(er than it was). 

I don't dare to use household detergents, because Fripp only knows what unreported additives they may have. Had to buy a special "record cleaner" concentrated solution, but $20.00 worth of it has lasted me for months. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 05:32

I've got good news and bad news. Good news:  while cleaning out the storage unit - i found another great big box of records. Bad news:  while cleaning out the storage unit - i found another great big box of records.
As detective Monk would say, it's a blessing and a curse. 

I recently visited a gentleman who proudly owns "thousands" of records (I reckon the count is 3,500). Frish, his Americana section alone must be larger than my overall collection on all carriers, including vinyl, polycarbonate, PET/CrO2 and doped silicon. Some people own in excess of 10K records. 

Yet, most of non-musician people will never clock more than 1,000 hours of proper home listening time annually. This is let's say 1,200 normal length albums max, or 200 to 300 albums on permanent rotation (which I call "active duty"). 

Therefore, I am now re-configuring my living room storage & display arrangements to hold about 250 active duty albums, plus a few dozen cuties & curiosities. The remaining stock will be in stored in crates, and out of sight. Once in a while I'll be revisiting the situation and transferring records from crates to shelves and vice versa. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 05:49
^ That's a lot of records Shocked

I'm on the 'I heard all this recently' phase LOL I have less than 50 LP's, bought most of them last year Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 06:08
^ you lucky man, mister! on your HeartvinylHeart honey  moon  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 06:12
^ LOL I'll have many LP's to listen next week though Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 06:50
^ praise the Fripp! Are the records on their way new pressings or pre-loved ones? 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 07:13
^ Pre-loved ones and the new 'Fly By Night' pressing Smile
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:27

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I can tell you what I ended up doing, without stating that this is the way, the truth and the life of vinyl care. There are multiple schools of thinking, of course. 

If a record is heavily soiled, I gently scrub it with a detergent solution, using a small paint pad. Following the direction of the grooves. Then rinse it with "distilled" water and repeat the process, but this time on a cheap and crude record cleaning machine ($200.00) like this. The one I bought sucked, or, rather, failed to suck properly, so it had to undergo some redneck re-engineering.  

One could experiment with the detergent concentration, and long for to leave the detergent solution on the record before you turn the machine on. Sometimes the machine cycle needs to be repeated, but yet, it does make the record clean(er than it was). 

I don't dare to use household detergents, because Fripp only knows what unreported additives they may have. Had to buy a special "record cleaner" concentrated solution, but $20.00 worth of it has lasted me for months. 
Thank you for your reply.
I did some online research before posting my original question, but of course, every manufacturer is going to claim that their product is the best and they only post positive customer reviews.
I looked at the Spin-Clean but I think that a vertical washer will allow the cleaning solution to run onto the paper label and I don't want that.
The cleaner pictured in your reply (Record Doctor) sells for seventy-five dollars more than the Spin-Clean ($125 vs $200) but I like the horizontal design. I may end up going with it.
Thanks again for your reply.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 312>