Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClivage & Marillion

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these tracks do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [50.00%]
8 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clivage & Marillion
    Posted: December 04 2013 at 06:37
Inspired by a comment in a recent poll voicing a suspicion that most people voting for Neo-Prog and Indo Prog/ Raga Rock were likely completely unfamiliar with the category they voted for as least favourite, I thought it might be fun to do a poll pitting the longest track from each category's top-ranked album.  The two are very musically different.

To visit the PA album pages for info on both albums:

Mixtus Orbis

4.36 with 69 ratings

Misplaced Childhood

4.23 with 1952 ratings

{EDIT to fix old lame topic as youtube embeds don't work a way they used to and it tries to install flash objects, and updated ratings figures}

Edited by Logan - March 21 2018 at 07:37
Just a fanboy passin' through.
antonyus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 06:41
first shoot....Marillion !
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 06:46
Wow, that was fast.  Had suspected that the early voters wouldn't consider themselves familiar enough with both to vote before listening to at least one youtube clip.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 07:08
Heard both albums, voted for Clivage. To be fair, Misplaced Childhood is not very proggy and Marillion have better, longer and more proggy tracks. Of course, this is going by the highest rated album; in my experience, I have found that the highest rated album in a sub is both not very representative of that sub and not the greatest example of that sub either.
Magma America Great Make Again
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 07:50
I have heard both albums. The clivages one is just okay in my opinion. Misplaced Childhood is my all time favorite, so an easy vote.
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 09:17
Before I respond to comments, I want to do something that I like to do with rather similar polls (when I'm doing a poll of contrast with two albums rather than polls where one votes by comparing particular tracks). 

A review of Mixtus Orbis:

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
5 stars This is Clivage's unmistakable awesome release. Definitely a reminiscence of best things ever offered in fusion jazz but all the elements are sublimated into a high class ethno-epic symphony. This is almost exclusively instrumental, making a large part to a brass ensemble. Technical, jazzy felt piano playing also have a great mention. Andre Fertier's keyobards parts are very similar in style to Cyrile Verdeaux's (Clearlight) in his most symphonic moments. This musical adventure is divided into different movements but composed as one long title, without transitions. It starts as a structured, catchy epic symphonic, majestic composition (with classic piano playing, almost medieval brass sequences) then it carries on an obsessed, uncontrolled jamming session, including ethnic percussions, splendid, grandiose oboe / sax combinations, always in a very symphonic, prog-y jazz mood. Some "spectral" female voices are added to the mix during the last movement. The tension gets higher, the trip out musical background reaches the soul to finish in an orchestral "orgy". Freak out symphonic rock that can ravish all progressive fans (from space rock, to fusion jazz and symphonic).

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#122045) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 14, 2007

A review of Misplaced Childhood:

Review by greenback
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
5 stars What a masterpiece!

This album is a real concept and progressive album. The keyboards, the guitars, the vocals, the drums are in a perfect harmony! The 2 ballads Kayleigh and Lavender are really essential: they give to the album a romantic touch; that's why many young female teenagers like this album! The romantic moods are also present in many other parts of the album, because of guitar and keyboards arrangements. Many heavy metal fans like this album, because of the guitar. Finally, the music is complex enough to be liked by real prog fans in search of always more sophisticated albums.

Extremely recommended!

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#4709) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 11, 2004

Edited by Logan - December 04 2013 at 09:19
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 10:42
I don't mind some Marillion, but that album does not count itself among that Marillion.

This is the first I've listened to Clivage, and it sounds nice to me.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 10:51
I love early Marillion, but Misplaced Childhood is by far my least favourite of the bunch. Mixtus Orbis on the other hand is one of the few albums I think every 'progressive music' fan out there should listen to - at least once in their lifetime. You certainly won't find anything that sounds remotely the same. Add to that, the album, including this beast of an opener, is just incredible. Philippe captures a lot of the same that i mention in my review, and I applaud him for doing so in an infinitely more comprehensible manner than what I could ever do, BUT he leaves one thing out of the equation, which is one of my favourite things about this release: The blaxpoitation soundtrack feel of it. The funky Shaft-like vibe of it all, only sneaked through some wonderful filter of jazz, avantguarde, Indian music and high soaring symphonic beams. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 11:42
Nice review, David.  I'm taking the liberty of reprinting it here.  Glad it was trying to write the review rather than listening to the album that caused the " limp like flappy bony sausages "reaction".  I get a similar reaction when I see Guru Guru's Hinten (ooh, I did not go there). erm, Geddy Lee (think that should be safe to say).

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site Admin
5 stars Sonic Cornucopia

I´ve tried writing this review a couple of times before, but each time I chickened out after the 3rd or 4th paragraph. I lost the power of speak, and my fingers went limp like flappy bony sausages hanging down from my wrists with no willpower whatsoever. Trying to describe the music within Mixtus Orbis, is rather like communicating to a monkey what oysters taste of. Futile! This album is beyond classification, and just like some of my most beloved progressive gems - it mixes everything into one big casserole - shakes it up nonchalantly, and bam! Dinner is served!

Now, there are a lot of albums which are like that. You may get some that blend psych with folk, or Krautrock with fusion - and hooray we say and clap our little hands in amazement. Mixtus Orbis however goes even further and takes this to the extreme. I mean, sweet ford!! Let me just put into perspective, how many different styles that are represented here, and then that doesn´t even begin to describe how it sounds. There´s pounding doomsday pianos, psychedelic effervescent jazz, Indian tablas, yearning violins, great big orchestral sweeps of sound, Zeuhlish thunderings, late 70s blaxploitation soundtrack music and Eastern folk sprinklings - all of this crammed into a tiny album - and it sounds truly magnificent!

The first track is a monster. Gigantic in every way. Take some demonic women chanting sensuously over these chugging bassline riffs, which are magnified a thousand times by a belting raw piano. Then add a great big coating of orchestral music, you know the kind you´ve heard from movies like Shaft (-often used in Motown productions to sweeten the coarseness of the gritty and earth toned beats) - and the basic structures of the song are ready. Every component slips into the others and back again - and so it evolves into this towering monstrosity that demands attention. The track continues to climb on top of itself with its attached Zeuhl motor and reaches some form of plateau, where everyone of the different styles fuse together and suddenly sound like they´ve been joined at the hip for decades. It´s funky, jazzy, psychedelic and disturbingly beautiful - like some giant colossus of blood and gold.

Second one brings in the flute, and takes the listener on a more relaxed venture into these bizarre musical blends. The 70s movie soundtrack is still there, but leans on a decisively more staccato approach with tooting horns and ethereal violins - adding to the centre score that little bit of extra swoosh. Running along the side of this spectacle, we´ve got some serious percussive splashes with bongos maniacally pacing away, taking you into a warped crime movie score back from the days of trumpet trousers and microphone dues.

Third track. This time around we hit the meditative state of the record, and things get quite folky with the violins, and those tablas get all earthy and woody in their textures. It sounds friendly, gracious and altogether accommodating - like had a Bedouin sheep heard opened up his arms to you, after you´d just crossed the mighty planes of the Gobi desert. Water!!! Maybe I´m mad, but when the flute joins in, the music does seem to mimic the flow of a natural stream. The track turns Asiatic with some deep almost menacing strokes of the violins, and had it not been for the genius of those joyously played guitar shimmers - the feel would have been one of fear - instead of what it is: magical and elusive.

At the very end we are flown to the far East, and some weird and abnormal sounding string instruments strum a mantra like raga, that gets spiced up with a mad and furious saxophone. Together with a couple of monks chanting what must be the bass theme here, the music again sounds like no other. Experimental fusion from an Indian bazaar?

I can´t recommend this album enough, and if you guys are looking for music that is progressive and knocks down walls between the different genres, then look no further - because what we have here is something quite special and unique. I´ve certainly never come across anything that sounds even remotely close to Mixtus Orbis. So give it up for the ever changing, multicoloured, mosaic, shape shifting, tunnel burrowing, cross dressing and all encompassing Clivage, that quite possibly will forever change how you look at music.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#597225) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:00
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Heard both albums, voted for Clivage. To be fair, Misplaced Childhood is not very proggy and Marillion have better, longer and more proggy tracks. Of course, this is going by the highest rated album; in my experience, I have found that the highest rated album in a sub is both not very representative of that sub and not the greatest example of that sub either.

With the notable exception of Miles Davis Kind of Blue which is the top rated of its category and is an exceptional example of Progressive jazz-ROCK fusion, that is commonly the case.  Being ironic of course.

By the way, just in case you or someone elee, can you think of one, what is a little rated Neo-Prog album that is an excellent representative of its subcategory (quintessential, yet obscure Neo-Prog to put it that way).  Though I love Clivage, I think using two more obscure albums from their subs that are excellent stylistic representatives might have worked better.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

By the way, just in case you or someone elee, can you think of one, what is a little rated Neo-Prog album that is an excellent representative of its subcategory (quintessential, yet obscure Neo-Prog to put it that way).

I haven't heard much 'obscure' Neo but The Sentinel by Pallas is one of the best Neo albums from the '80s I have heard. Pallas fans might tell you they have better albums.
Magma America Great Make Again
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:49
As much as I love Blind Curve, I went for Mixtus Orbis. Mainly because it's more progressive than Marillion (and longer
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 13:07
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

By the way, just in case you or someone elee, can you think of one, what is a little rated Neo-Prog album that is an excellent representative of its subcategory (quintessential, yet obscure Neo-Prog to put it that way).

I haven't heard much 'obscure' Neo but The Sentinel by Pallas is one of the best Neo albums from the '80s I have heard. Pallas fans might tell you they have better albums.

Thanks.  That's an album that I've heard bits and pieces of over the years -- very highly regarded album, I know.

This would make for a neat 80s poll.  The Shock Treatment titled song off the semi-sequel to the Rocky Horror Picture Show vs. Shock Treatment by Pallas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3M3jcZvkg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1DjJTeX_ng

Edited by Logan - December 04 2013 at 13:09
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 01:12
Blind Curve
one of Marillion's best moments IMO
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 02:13
Marillion.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 15:02
I prefer cleavage. 

Also, Marilion. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 16:31
^

Marillion for me too!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply