Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discovering more obscure prog rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 29>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:17

Baron, Torpor. Something a little different. Similar to Radiant Frequency

Ghost Brigade, Isolation Songs. Been around a while but i just discovered them recently.

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:17

Kaddisfly, Horses galloping on Sailboats from last year

Shearwater, Jetplane and Oxbow. New Album. Solid band, liked their last release as well.

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:18

Messenger, Illusiory Blues. This track is beautiful.

Atmospheres, The Departure. Post Rock.

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 23:19

Grails, Deep Politics. Another beautiful & scerene track.

TheNightTimeProject, self titled. Many good tracks on this debut release from last year

Lithium Dawn. Tearing Back the Veil 1: Ascention. December '15. This track in infectious. Other tracks also decent.

The above postings are just a sample of new prog music I've discovered over the last few months. If you have similar tracks/albums that I might like, or just want to post a recent discovery, please do.
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbonson04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 21:37
Great stuff man. I saw in one post that you wanted people to share what artists interested them from this thread. For me, it is Sanguine Hum, The Chant, Amiensus, ESFERA, Baron, and Kaddisffly. Glad to see they all have bandcamp pages since that is my primary means of music acquisition. Keep up the recs please! I'm also a music discovery freak so it all helps.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 22:13
Thanks for the interest and sharing - I wasn't sure if anyone was caring about sharing recommendations as I seem to be the only one posting (but the thread gets lots of reads). I'll look up Amiensus and ESFERA as I haven't heard of them before.

And I have more curated recommendations to post :-)
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 01:44
Lots more new music to discover. I've been enjoying the new iamthemorning album Lighthouse released this month. Below is a slow but particularly beautiful track lighthouse featuring Mariusz Duda from Riverside.

Edited by deandob - August 13 2016 at 17:57
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 10:31
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 13:48
Lots of interesting recommendations....mostly newer bands. I tend to look for the old early prog and proto prog things when I look for more obscure things.
Recently been listening to Lucifer's Friend, Titus Groan, Gravy Train, Three Man Army, Odin, Skin Alley, Mogul Thrash, ....all early mostly Brit prog things. I like coming across them in the old record stores or just seeking them out on cd online.
If anyone has any bands like those from the early 70's please post them.
Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 06:07
We have loads of threads similar to this one, so maybe that's why folks aren't using this? I'm not sure really.
I tend to read the 2016 Picks for recs.

Also there may be another reason now that I think of it. There are quite a few members with poor internet connections on here. When they try to visit a thread with this many JooToob vids, the page simply won't load...or it will but it takes a week to finish.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 04:44
As the thread starter I'm happy to keep posting my more recent discoveries / recommendations. YouTube videos are a great way to quickly sample a tune without much effort, and I'm sure 95% of the folks on the forum have speeds better than dial-up. Also posting one video per post will make the pages roll over faster to a new one, reducing the load time.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 04:49
Here are some more recent recommendations. Firstly from Frost* who have just released a new album Falling Satellites after many years in hiatus. Its a solid release, I particularly like this tune as it slowly builds up as the song progresses.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 04:53
Another song that also builds very nicely from the new album Your Wilderness from Bruce Soord & the Pineapple Thief - one of the more talented contemporary British prog acts who have consistently released solid albums but seem to be underrated. If the rest of the album when it gets released in August is as good as this track then it maybe the mainstream breakthough this band has been trying for.

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 04:56
Another contemporary prog act with a new release. Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts. This album is stronger and more consistent than previous efforts with a number of catchy tracks. Likely to be in the top 5 albums of 2016 I think.

Edited by deandob - May 30 2016 at 05:35
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 05:06
Change of pace - an obscure group from France not on youtube, but bandcamp. Sweet female vocals and a  atmospheric ambience.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 05:12
One of my favourite heavy prog groups from Italy - Novembre, normally I don't like too much growling however the melodies that this group produces have a great hook. They also have a new album out, Ursa, but here is one of their older tracks from their earlier album Materia.

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 05:20
Something different again, a little more alt-rock / prog. Klone. from France & their new album Here Comes the Sun which has an interesting mix of styles.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 05:25
More crossover prog / alt-rock. The Earth and Everything In It from the US, their album from a year back.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 05:38
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

As the thread starter I'm happy to keep posting my more recent discoveries / recommendations. YouTube videos are a great way to quickly sample a tune without much effort, and I'm sure 95% of the folks on the forum have speeds better than dial-up. Also posting one video per post will make the pages roll over faster to a new one, reducing the load time.

No worries mateThumbs Up
I was merely trying to answer you in the best way I could think of. 

Btw absolutely adore that Baron album. One of my faves from 2015 even if I first discovered it in 2016. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 05:39
Guldbamsen, all good, I'm using this thread to share the discoveries I have made and enjoy, hopefully others discover something new as well from my posts.

Last one, a pre-release track from Swedish metal group Wolverine, from their upcoming album Machina Viva released in July. Sounds more mellow and polished than previous albums.

Edited by deandob - May 30 2016 at 05:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 29>