9 [29.03%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 08:44

Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

[QUOTE=Dean>The band name is a complete misspelling anyway, the Generator of static electricity that bears the name was designed by Robert Van de Graaff, an american of Dutch heritage.  Why is the "V" is capitalised and the "de" not? Is this another nuance? I'm beginning to suspect things aren't all that consistent.
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>
[/QUOTE>The official rule (for the Netherlands at least) is that you don't use capitals is the first name is given (or abbreviated).So:mister Robert van de Graafmister R. van de GraaffIf however the first name is not provided then the first letter of the family name prefixes must be capitalized.Hence:mister Van de GraaffSo if you've seen it as Robert Van de Graaff then he probably forgot how to spell his own name from being American for too long. LOL

PS. I had to correct the above 3 times as I kept spelling Van de Graaf with one f. 2 ff's just doesn't make much sense at all in modern Dutch!

Some Dutch people, even a PA collab, may not agree with this. Even the variety "van de(r) Graaff" occurs now and then.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 08:51

That other Belgian here is too fast for me Confused

Yes!  ApproveCool
Sorry about that LOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 12:25

PS on topic. I always thought it was Von Beethoven as I was not aware of his Flemish origins.

If the "other Belgian' is Moogtron, he's actually Dutch if memory srves... but choose to mive in a better land (beer most likelyBig smile)

I betcha that most Belgians are not aware of Ludwig's father and grandfather origins
I certainly wasn't last week...

Edited by Sean Trane - January 20 2014 at 12:27
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 12:37
I thought the only fast Belgian was called Eddy.
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 14:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

PS on topic. I always thought it was Von Beethoven as I was not aware of his Flemish origins.

If the "other Belgian' is Moogtron, he's actually Dutch if memory srves... but choose to mive in a better land (beer most likelyBig smile)

I betcha that most Belgians are not aware of Ludwig's father and grandfather origins
I certainly wasn't last week...

Hehe, your memory serves you well, Hugues, and yes, Bonnek meant me. Yes, I'm a crypto-Belgian, I'm disguised as a Belgian Cool

I used to lead youth camps in Africa, representing Belgium among countries like the Netherlands, South-Africa, Germany and Rwanda, singing the Belgian national hymn (very un-Belgian to know that one, even former prime minister Yves Leterme couldn't distinguish it from the French Marseillaise), showing Belgian beer, making Belgian chocolate mousse, introducing Belgian comic strips (Smurfs, Tintin), and big was the astonishment once when I said that I was not a Belgian at all, but had a Dutch passport. Smile

You, Hugues were the true Belgian (though I remember that you lived in Toronto as well) who worked in the Netherlands, Petten if I recall well, and I was the Dutchman who was living in Belgium. 

Belgium a better land, huh? Well, what a coincidence that I was just sipping from my Belgian beer, so that's spot on WinkLOLThe beer is definitely better, the pils, the trappist, everything!  And for the rest... there are pros and cons in both of the countries. I like the bourgondy lifestyle of the Belgians, the fact that there still is a lot of youth working, like scouts, chiro and stuff... but I do prefer the directness and the openness of the Dutch, well, some of the Dutch. Both countries have their strong and weak points.

BTW in a few months I'm moving for the third time in 10 years, from Menen at the French border, over Dendermonde (Termonde) in the midst of Flanders, to Turnhout, close to the Dutch border.

As for Lodewijk/Ludwig van Beethoven, sorry Van Beethoven, I was aware of Ludwigs roots, but when I discovered it, some years ago, I was just as surprised.

It seems that in Germany, he had the heavy accent of his own surroundings, nothing Belgian left... 

I come from Rotterdam, my family comes from the utmost northern part of Groningen, but sometimes I hear something slightly northern in my own accent.

Maybe Ludwig was using some "allez" and "ça va" from time to time as well LOL

Ludwig is one of the best composers ever, BTW. I'm still astonished by his 5th Symphony. It sounds so modern, like pop music. On the other hand, some of his later string quartets are like RIO, or should I say SIO? Symphonic in opposition LOL

Back to my Jupiler... Beer
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 15:47
Flandern/Belgia/Netherland/Friesland is all confusing
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 16:13
The Belgian beer is the best in the world, I agree: uncontested. Yet there have emerged some outstanding breweries in Dutchistan in recent years: Jopen and De Leckere. So we've been catching up a bit lately Beer.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 04:38
Larger than a station wagon, smaller than an SUV. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 06:11
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Hehe, your memory serves you well, Hugues, and yes, Bonnek meant me. Yes, I'm a crypto-Belgian, I'm disguised as a Belgian Cool

I used to lead youth camps in Africa, representing Belgium among countries like the Netherlands, South-Africa, Germany and Rwanda, singing the Belgian national hymn (very un-Belgian to know that one, even former prime minister Yves Leterme couldn't distinguish it from the French Marseillaise), showing Belgian beer, making Belgian chocolate mousse, introducing Belgian comic strips (Smurfs, Tintin), and big was the astonishment once when I said that I was not a Belgian at all, but had a Dutch passport. Smile

You, Hugues were the true Belgian (though I remember that you lived in Toronto as well) who worked in the Netherlands, Petten if I recall well, and I was the Dutchman who was living in Belgium. 

Belgium a better land, huh? Well, what a coincidence that I was just sipping from my Belgian beer, so that's spot on WinkLOLThe beer is definitely better, the pils, the trappist, everything!  And for the rest... there are pros and cons in both of the countries. I like the bourgondy lifestyle of the Belgians, the fact that there still is a lot of youth working, like scouts, chiro and stuff... but I do prefer the directness and the openness of the Dutch, well, some of the Dutch. Both countries have their strong and weak points.

I come from Rotterdam, my family comes from the utmost northern part of Groningen, but sometimes I hear something slightly northern in my own accent.

Ludwig is one of the best composers ever, BTW. I'm still astonished by his 5th Symphony. It sounds so modern, like pop music. On the other hand, some of his later string quartets are like RIO, or should I say SIO? Symphonic in opposition LOL

Touché, my friend EmbarrassedLOL

And yes, Holland is a dream place for kids and cyclist (though you should NEVER leave home on bike with the wind in your back.... coz you're not sure you'll be able to come back)Tongue. Byt yeah, some Dutch can be a bit too blunt... but that's allright... you know where you stand with them.

Actually I work in West Fruesland, but spoken Northern Dutch dialects (including Frison) always made it difficult for me to adapt... Though I'm now able to guess in 50% of the cases what the second half of the four syllable word is... (don't ask me to write it (ABN, Flemish or Frison) though
From Gronigen, uh?? In the news this w-e, I saw the near-riots in the demos  (this seems so un-DutchTongueWink) against exploiting gas pockets because they're causing mini-earthquake (125 last year)... Living close to Bergen, where they registered only two, they're about to reuse the old gas pockets and use them as storage tanks

SIO LOL

Tonight, it'll be a Chimay BlueBeer

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 08:07
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

[QUOTE=Dean>The band name is a complete misspelling anyway, the Generator of static electricity that bears the name was designed by Robert Van de Graaff, an american of Dutch heritage.  Why is the "V" is capitalised and the "de" not? Is this another nuance? I'm beginning to suspect things aren't all that consistent.
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>
[/QUOTE>The official rule (for the Netherlands at least) is that you don't use capitals is the first name is given (or abbreviated).So:mister Robert van de Graafmister R. van de GraaffIf however the first name is not provided then the first letter of the family name prefixes must be capitalized.Hence:mister Van de GraaffSo if you've seen it as Robert Van de Graaff then he probably forgot how to spell his own name from being American for too long. LOL

PS. I had to correct the above 3 times as I kept spelling Van de Graaf with one f. 2 ff's just doesn't make much sense at all in modern Dutch!

Some Dutch people, even a PA collab, may not agree with this. Even the variety "van de(r) Graaff" occurs now and then.

True, I meant 'Dutch' as in 'Flemish'. We don't double-f , too archaic Tongue
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 08:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I thought the only fast Belgian was called Eddy.

Wally?

We moved quite a bit off the Beethoven topic now LOL
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 09:29

We moved quite a bit off the Beethoven topic now LOL
Which is good because this topic never made any sense.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 09:40
Van Beethoven, Von Zamla.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 01:55
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

And yes, Holland is a dream place for kids and cyclist (though you should NEVER leave home on bike with the wind in your back.... coz you're not sure you'll be able to come back)Tongue. Byt yeah, some Dutch can be a bit too blunt... but that's allright... you know where you stand with them.

Actually I work in West Fruesland, but spoken Northern Dutch dialects (including Frison) always made it difficult for me to adapt... Though I'm now able to guess in 50% of the cases what the second half of the four syllable word is... (don't ask me to write it (ABN, Flemish or Frison) though
From Gronigen, uh?? In the news this w-e, I saw the near-riots in the demos  (this seems so un-DutchTongueWink) against exploiting gas pockets because they're causing mini-earthquake (125 last year)... Living close to Bergen, where they registered only two, they're about to reuse the old gas pockets and use them as storage tanks

SIO LOL

Yes, cycling in Holland... Indeed, we can put that at the advantages of Belgium, the lack of heavy wind, but the cycling paths in Belgium, hmmm well... Stern SmileWink

Groningen: my family left at the right time, I suppose Smile 

The dialects: I couldn't understand anything from the West Flanders dialect when I got there. East Flanders is much easier now, and now looking forward to hearing a Brabant accent, or no accent at all...

Chimay blue is my favorite trappist Beer
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 04:04

[QUOTE=Sean Trane>
[QUOTE=Moogtron III>
I used to lead youth camps in Africa, representing Belgium among countries like the Netherlands, South-Africa, Germany and Rwanda, singing the Belgian national hymn (very un-Belgian to know that one, even former prime minister Yves Leterme couldn't distinguish it from the French Marseillaise), showing Belgian beer, making Belgian <span style="line-height: 1.2;">chocolate </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">mousse, introducing Belgian comic strips (Smurfs, Tintin), and big was the astonishment once when I said that I was not a Belgian at all, but had a Dutch passport. </span>Smile

Ludwig is one of the best composers ever, BTW. I'm still astonished by his 5th Symphony. It sounds so modern, like pop music. On the other hand, some of his later string quartets are like RIO, or should I say SIO? Symphonic in oppositionLOL
[/QUOTE>

SIO LOL

[/QUOTE>

Yes, cycling in Holland... Indeed, we can put that at the advantages of Belgium, the lack of heavy wind, but the cycling paths in Belgium, hmmm well... Stern SmileWink
The dialects: I couldn't understand anything from the West Flanders dialect when I got there. East Flanders is much easier now, and now looking forward to hearing a Brabant accent, or no accent at all...

Despite the sometimes heavy wind, I can hardly imagine a country where biking is more pleasant than here in Holland. It is one of my favourite activities. I yearn for biking long distances again when the days lengthen and the temperatures rise.

Of all the accents I find that of Brabant the hardest to stand, leaving even plat-Uteregs behind. I wonder why anyone can look forward to hear it...

Chimay Blue is an excellent trappist. Ever tried Rochefort 10°?

Edited by someone_else - January 22 2014 at 04:08
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 04:33

[QUOTE=Sean Trane>
[QUOTE=Moogtron III>
I used to lead youth camps in Africa, representing Belgium among countries like the Netherlands, South-Africa, Germany and Rwanda, singing the Belgian national hymn (very un-Belgian to know that one, even former prime minister Yves Leterme couldn't distinguish it from the French Marseillaise), showing Belgian beer, making Belgian <span style="line-height: 1.2;">chocolate </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">mousse, introducing Belgian comic strips (Smurfs, Tintin), and big was the astonishment once when I said that I was not a Belgian at all, but had a Dutch passport. </span>Smile

Ludwig is one of the best composers ever, BTW. I'm still astonished by his 5th Symphony. It sounds so modern, like pop music. On the other hand, some of his later string quartets are like RIO, or should I say SIO? Symphonic in oppositionLOL
[/QUOTE>

SIO LOL

[/QUOTE>

Despite the sometimes heavy wind, I can hardly imagine a country where biking is more pleasant than here in Holland. It is one of my favourite activities. I yearn for biking long distances again when the days lengthen and the temperatures rise.

Of all the accents I find that of Brabant the hardest to stand, leaving even plat-Uteregs behind. I wonder why anyone can look forward to hear it...

Chimay Blue is an excellent trappist. Ever tried Rochefort 10°?

Utrecht had some nice places when I was living in the north part (Maarseveense Plassen etc.) but living in the south, in Tolsteeg, there was a big lack of nature.  
I enjoy biking in Flandres. In my West-Flandres years, I was living on 5 minutes biking distance from France. I liked to bike there, but the Flandres part was more beautiful and biker-friendly than the French part. In East-Flandres, I enjoyed biking alongside the rivers Scheldt and Dender, and and a lake nearby (Donkmeer). I'm looking forward in Turnhout to bike in the Campine area.
Looking forward to hearing Brabants: firstly because change is the heartbeat of life. I like dialects to a certain extent, because of their etymologic origins. I have always been interested in languages and regional languages. After some time dialects begin to irritate me, though. So in that respect: I'm happy that I'm moving on again. LOL
And Brabants means also: hearing a dialect which is also spoken in The Netherlands. I like to live in another country, but after 10 years in Belgium, I'm also happy to be close to The Netherlands again, to be honest. Embarrassed 

Not 100% sure if I tried Rochefort. I did try Orval and Westmalle, but in general I prefer Chimay You can recommend it, I suppose?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 04:53
I live in Tolsteeg too, but there is nature all around Utrecht: in the east and the northeast there are woods, in the north there are pools and marshes, in the south there are rivers and in the west there is a green and flat land; the only thing we are lacking is: mountains, but we cannot have everything.

Surely I can recommend it !

Edited by someone_else - January 22 2014 at 04:53
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 12:30
You're probably right about nature around Utrecht, and I'm probably too negative. Maybe you made more kilometers on the bike than I did, so you got more out of it than I did Embarrassed Or I was just spoilt LOL 

So you're living in my old quarter, Tolsteeg, what a coincidence. Shocked

I looked for Rochefort 10 in the supermarket today (I do the weekly shoppings for our family) but only found 8.
Maybe I need to go to a special beer shop for it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 02:16

I live in Tolsteeg too, but there is nature all around Utrecht: in the east and the northeast there are woods, in the north there are pools and marshes, in the south there are rivers and in the west there is a green and flat land; the only thing we are lacking is: mountains, but we cannot have everything.

Surely I can recommend it !

One of the things that is better in The Netherlands is the urbanity (despite a greater population density), with better defined habitat spaces. It seems that rules existed a lot longer ago than in Belgum, where the "laissez-faire" was simply atrocious... there are places in both Flanders and Wallonie, where there is no "green spaces' left between villages anymore...if there weren't any city traffic plates, you wouldn't know you changed at all

Living during the week in Alkmaar, and you clearly know once you're out of the city limits >> you're in the fields almost right away...

========================

Marcel,
I find the Rochefort 8 (green cap)  much better...  the Blue Cap (10) is simply too sweet for my tastes... I prefer brown beers to blonde ones, but that one is simply too much? I also prefer the 6 (red cap) to the blue cap... it's actually a little sister to the green cap, mich like the Chimay red is to the Chimay blue.

Tonight is going to be a Westvleeteren

Can't believe I'm still an atheist, drinking all thesebeers brewed by monhs!! LOL

Edited by Sean Trane - January 23 2014 at 02:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 03:08
@Moogtron III: It is not a shame to have less kilometers on the bike than I have. When I go out for a bike ride, I make 60-90 km when I'm with my wife and 80-120 when on my own. And once a year I make a real long one (170-190 km). And I don't use a racing bike, just a conventional one. During the winter months (October-March) I just go out occasionally for 40-70 km.
There are new biking routes in the Netherlands since 2008 (knooppuntenroutes) which I use frequently to create routes throughout the region.

-o0o-

@Sean Trane: I think the infrastructure of roads in the Netherlands is way better than in Belgium. Moreover, Belgian villages are often stretched along one or just a few streets, so it is easy to pass unnoticed from one village to another. In the Netherlands, the habitat spaces have sharp bounds, like Alkmaar: once you're no longer in, you're really out. Only in the northeast (Drenthe) there are some villages that are actually streets.
And about the beer: this is just a matter of taste. Unlike Chimay Blue, Rochefort 10 is not representative for a Trappist, but it is full, strong (11,3% ABV) and rich. I have to try the 6 and the 8 yet, but 10 comes close to perfection imho .

Edited by someone_else - January 23 2014 at 03:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>