22 [70.97%]
9 [29.03%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 04:06
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

One of the things that is better in The Netherlands is the urbanity (despite a greater population density), with better defined habitat spaces. It seems that rules existed a lot longer ago than in Belgum, where the "laissez-faire" was simply atrocious... there are places in both Flanders and Wallonie, where there is no "green spaces' left between villages anymore...if there weren't any city traffic plates, you wouldn't know you changed at all

Living during the week in Alkmaar, and you clearly know once you're out of the city limits >> you're in the fields almost right away...

========================

Marcel,
I find the Rochefort 8 (green cap)  much better...  the Blue Cap (10) is simply too sweet for my tastes... I prefer brown beers to blonde ones, but that one is simply too much? I also prefer the 6 (red cap) to the blue cap... it's actually a little sister to the green cap, mich like the Chimay red is to the Chimay blue.

Tonight is going to be a Westvleeteren

Can't believe I'm still an atheist, drinking all thesebeers brewed by monhs!! LOL

In general I agree about what you said about the urbanity. The Dutch are champions in spatial planning. There is a flipside to the coin, though. I remember living in Utrecht (Tolsteeg) in a small flat and feeling like a rat trapped in a cage. We had a park nearby and you could escape nowhere from the sounds of cars. In Belgium, spatial planning is lousy, but I enjoyed living in big houses (standard in Belgium) and for our next house, a big garden too. I never felt trapped anymore.  

Westvleteren? I never tried out the famous beer. It was once voted best beer in the world. It's not easy to get, or is it? You have to go to the monastery, and that's not just a matter of calling on beforehand, there is a sort of luck involved, or not?

What you said about not believing you're still an atheist: who am I to contradict you? WinkSmile Okay, this pastor will save the sermon for the sunday LOL

Gonna buy myself Rochefort 8 after all. I want to try them both... 
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 04:14
It's VAN Beethoven what a question. Von Beethoven??? Why the hell would someone even think it's 'von'? Is it somewhere in Pierre Plantard manuscripts? 
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 04:15
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

@Moogtron III: It is not a shame to have less kilometers on the bike than I have. When I go out for a bike ride, I make 60-90 km when I'm with my wife and 80-120 when on my own. And once a year I make a real long one (170-190 km). And I don't use a racing bike, just a conventional one. During the winter months (October-March) I just go out occasionally for 40-70 km.
There are new biking routes in the Netherlands since 2008 (knooppuntenroutes) which I use frequently to create routes throughout the region.

Yes, I'm a Knooppuntenroute (English: nodes routes?) - fan myself. They're also in Belgium. Both in West-Flandres and in East-Flandres there are beautiful Knooppuntenroutes. When I'm staying with my parents in law, close to Alphen aan den Rijn, I enjoy biking in the Groene Hart (Green Heart). When I move to Turnhout, I can look forward to Knooppuntenroutes that will cross the Dutch-Belgian border! 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 04:17
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

It's VAN Beethoven what a question. Von Beethoven??? Why the hell would someone even think it's 'von'? Is it somewhere in Pierre Plantard manuscripts? 

No, but he was born in Germany, and there they sometimes use the word "von" (= "from") in last names, where the Dutch/Flemish use "van".
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 04:29
But his ancestors were from Belgium. That's why he was van Beethoven not von Beethoven as it stays in German.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 06:29

But his ancestors were from Belgium. That's why he was van Beethoven not von Beethoven as it stays in German.

I know, but not everyone knows he's from Belgian origin, so that's why many people think it's Von Beethoven.
That's why this thread was a good idea.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 10:46
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Marcel,
I find the Rochefort 8 (green cap)  much better...  the Blue Cap (10) is simply too sweet for my tastes... I prefer brown beers to blonde ones, but that one is simply too much? I also prefer the 6 (red cap) to the blue cap... it's actually a little sister to the green cap, mich like the Chimay red is to the Chimay blue.

Tonight is going to be a Westvleeteren

Can't believe I'm still an atheist, drinking all thesebeers brewed by monhs!! LOL

Westvleteren? I never tried out the famous beer. It was once voted best beer in the world. It's not easy to get, or is it? You have to go to the monastery, and that's not just a matter of calling on beforehand, there is a sort of luck involved, or not?

What you said about not believing you're still an atheist: who am I to contradict you? WinkSmile Okay, this pastor will save the sermon for the sunday LOL

Gonna buy myself Rochefort 8 after all. I want to try them both... 
[/QUOTE]

Indeed Westvleteren is the hardest beer to find (probably in the whole world), thoufgh there are circuits in Brussels and even some cafes serving it (around €10.00 per bottle, though) Otherwise, they did sell a bunch (60 000, I believe) of special boxes (the occasion was to finanbce roof renovations of their monastery) with four nottles and two glasses at Colruyt >> they were all go,e in two hours..  They did the same in the US and Canada >> all gone within one day.

BTW, it's been noted best beer in the world for the last five years, I believe....

If you'd read the first two pages of the thread, you'd know that hardly anyone knew of his Flemish ancestor, even in Flanders...

Edited by Sean Trane - January 23 2014 at 10:47
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 11:13
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

If you'd read the first two pages of the thread, you'd know that hardly anyone knew of his Flemish ancestor, even in Flanders...

It's not a secret knowledge from what I know. Besides it doesn't matter. Beethoven got famous as van Beethoven not von Beethoven. No need to analyze it.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 11:45
There is no point in analyzing it. It's Ludwig van Beethoven. No amount of prog-fan uselessness will change that fact. 

I wonder why this thread is not deemed useless and closed like all the "leaving" "staying" ones... 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I wonder why this thread is not deemed useless and closed like all the "leaving" "staying" ones... 
You mean this poll doesn't tell us anything about ourselves?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 12:36
It seems very obvious to me that the only nationals who could have ever possibly got into a bit of confusion over his name were Dutch, Flemish/Belgians, German, Austrians and possibly some Swiss (if they ever get to graduate beyond alpine horn music to appreciate the finer points of Western Classical music of the Romantic era). To the rest of the world there is no cause for confusion, hence there is none (other than the mystery of why this thread has lasted 4 pages).

Edited by Dean - January 23 2014 at 12:50
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 13:18
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It seems very obvious to me that the only nationals who could have ever possibly got into a bit of confusion over his name were Dutch, Flemish/Belgians, German, Austrians and possibly some Swiss (if they ever get to graduate beyond alpine horn music to appreciate the finer points of Western Classical music of the Romantic era). To the rest of the world there is no cause for confusion, hence there is none (other than the mystery of why this thread has lasted 4 pages).

Well, some of the most-beloved members on this site are Dutch, Flemish/Belgians, Germans, Austrians and possibly some Swiss as well.
Maybe we like to be a bit openly confused for a while on this site.
The mystery of 4 pages is no big mystery: we meditate on beer and biking too. Wink 

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 14:13
People here try to interpret Yes' TFTO lyrics... I guess that explains why such a nonsense thread as this has 4 pages... Tongue
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 14:48

People here try to interpret Yes' TFTO lyrics... I guess that explains why such a nonsense thread as this has 4 pages... Tongue

LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 15:09

Well, I'm still breaking my head on why Jon Anderson wants to get over overhanging trees, and lets them rape the forest.
There's so much hidden depth in Jons lyrics, don't you think? 

LOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 03:14
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Well, some of the most-beloved members on this site are Dutch, Flemish/Belgians, Germans, Austrians and possibly some Swiss as well.
Maybe we like to be a bit openly confused for a while on this site.
The mystery of 4 pages is no big mystery: we meditate on beer and biking too. Wink

Indeed, the last two pages have been about urban planning and beers, if you'll except LSD's fairly toxic interventions...  

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

People here try to interpret Yes' TFTO lyrics... I guess that explains why such a nonsense thread as this has 4 pages... Tongue
LOL
Dare I even say:
LOL

Edited by Sean Trane - January 24 2014 at 03:14
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 03:52
I influenced Albert Hofmann

Edited by LSDisease - January 24 2014 at 03:56
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 20:51
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 21:03
^ What is this?
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 21:58
It's a joke. They're making a joke of a fictional german composer with a ridiculously long name.

Edited by proggman - February 12 2014 at 00:58
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>