Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Autumn Electric (U.S.) for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autumn Electric (U.S.) for Prog Folk
    Posted: February 05 2014 at 22:05

released 10 January 2014 
Chris Barrios - drums, percussion, vocals 
Naomi Adele Smith - synthesizers, melodica, vocals 
Max Steiner - lead guitar, vocals 
Michael Trew - electric and acoustic guitar, lead vocal, flute, banjo, synth flutes, spoken word 
Johnny Unicorn - bass, alto saxophone, vocals 

with guest Joe Stormer: Accordion on "Joe The Lion, Sleeps Tonight", 
backing vocals on "The Hermit of North Pond" 

Songs written by Michael Trew with exception of "The Hermit of North 
Pond" written by Chris Barrios and Michael Trew 

Music by Autumn Electric 
Engineered, Mixed and Mastered by Chris Barrios 
Produced by Autumn Electric 
Cover Art by Louise Trew 
Inside Art by Naomi Smith 

"Autumn Electric was born on Interstate 5, in the back of a now-retired Ford Econoline, dubbed "Vandalf the Grey". Fueled by Tolkien references and gas station coffee, they built a core following on the house concert and college town circuits, producing their first two albums as well as the tour-mockumentary "Tourdeo". Some may recall meeting their travelling guinea pig at show after-parties.

In 2012, their 3rd album, Make Me a Tree's title track was culled for Seattle Metro Credit Union's "HomeGrown Summer Road Trip" compilation alongside Hey Marseilles, Ravenna Woods and the Moondoggies. Two tours followed. The first, in support of Faroe Islands (EU) artist Marius Ziska's US tour, and later, The Healing Tour in 2013. Based largely around charity concerts for Healing Centers, and Hospices, the Healing Tour fit with Make Me a Tree's theme of empathy and renewal. During this time, the band spearheaded the online music charity project RobinHood in Technicolor, with a host of independent bands.

The new incarnation of the group came in 2013 with addition of Austrian guitarist Max Steiner, drummer Chris Barrios, and long-time AE collaborator and producer Johnny Unicorn on Bass. A live recording was captured from Vera Project stage at Northwest Folklife Festival of a new 21 minute, song cycle, "Orange Stars", by Seattle's Hollow Earth Radio, while a performance of "The Hermit of North Pond" was featured on KING5 News. Plans for a follow up to Make Me a Tree are slotted for Fall 2013. The band's feelings on guinea pigs remains mixed."

Sounds Like: Sufjan Stevens, The Decemberists, Genesis, Yes (official), Flaming Lips   

http://www.reverbnation.com/autumnelectric

https://www.facebook.com/theautumnelectric

Edited by Svetonio - February 05 2014 at 22:09
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 12:51
Yam Yam?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 14:40
Hang on a sec - sorry, we missed your post over in the dandelion patch.  I'm downloading their albums now and will check them out.
"And all of it was made for you and me, ‘cause it just belongs to you and me - so let's take a ride and see what's mine."

Iggy Pop
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site and Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 14:44
I don't think these guys are signed Bob. I'm not sure how you guys feel about that?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 14:53
They're not signed, but four full albums in six years, with CD versions of the last two (plus other merch), an extensive tour currently in progress (see their official website), nearly 2,500 likes on facebook... I reckon they're here for the long run, and are worth hearing out. Embarrassed 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 21:38
they may not be signed, but they are on spotify.  I'm checking them out
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 17:14
Hey I like these guys! 
My first impression was that they were just another Decemberists clone, but after listening to two entire albums and part of a third I think they have their own sound.  Some folk, some tentative but ambitious attempts at wandering, old-time prog passages, and quite a bit of indie charm.  Not sure if Eclectic or Prog Folk is the right call but I'd be happy to take them into our fold.  Will wait to hear what Ken has to say...

"And all of it was made for you and me, ‘cause it just belongs to you and me - so let's take a ride and see what's mine."

Iggy Pop
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site and Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 02:33
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 02:26
bump
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI

Post Options Post Options   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 02:55
Checking with the team.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 13:41
The Prog Folk team has reviewed Autumn Electric's biography and we've listened to their albums (which are downloadable from the band's website and two of which are also available on Spotify, at least in the U.S.).  While the band is engaging and ambitious, none of us on the PF team found them to qualify as progressive despite 'Make Me a Tree' where there are suggestions they might have been trying for a progressive approach.  In the end we feel the band is a quite good indie/alt group with some notable artistic tendencies, but we don't hear enough to merit their inclusion in PF.  We are certainly open to feedback and are willing to reconsider should additional material or cogent arguments in their favor merit such reconsideration.

Thanks!

Iggy Pop
 Post Reply Post Reply