Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was 2013 really that good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Post/Math Rock Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 17:57
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If it wasn't that good you might have picked the wrong stuff to listen to....

True. No year is a bad year i suppose..

Wink
I Will Write Peace All Over Your Wings And You Will Fly Around The World
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 18:16
Yeah the '80's weren't all that awful btw...
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 19:03

Yeah the '80's weren't all that awful btw...
Very much agreed.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 12:46
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

If it wasn't that good you might have picked the wrong stuff to listen to....

True. No year is a bad year i suppose..
Wink

Agreed. Every year has something you can sink your Prog ears into with a big smile on your face.
2014 has already been eventful for me.
Threshold still have all the goods that makes them one of the best classic rock/Prog metal bands in the world. 2014's For The Journey is worth a serious listen.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 02:35
Re the ratings ... perhaps a 1 or 5 star rating should not be possible without written justification. As enthusiastic as people can be it does result in hype, devaluing by inflation.

When scanning reviews I check (some of) the lowest, the highest and some mid way, I usually get a reasonable idea if the content is well written. The more personal and nostalgic, the more overtly subjective content gets short shrift with nasty ol' me. Not that I don't appreciate enthusiasm but the considered assessments get the most reading from me anyway.

There's a review of Yes' debut on the front page which is a rather good example of how a review should be written. A good read and fair assessment of the album. He can do mine - I gave up... Wink

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 06:45
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Re the ratings ... perhaps a 1 or 5 star rating should not be possible without written justification. As enthusiastic as people can be it does result in hype, devaluing by inflation.

When scanning reviews I check (some of) the lowest, the highest and some mid way, I usually get a reasonable idea if the content is well written. The more personal and nostalgic, the more overtly subjective content gets short shrift with nasty ol' me. Not that I don't appreciate enthusiasm but the considered assessments get the most reading from me anyway.

There's a review of Yes' debut on the front page which is a rather good example of how a review should be written. A good read and fair assessment of the album. He can do mine - I gave up... Wink

I usually like Conor's reviews
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic