Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassics you haven't heard - and why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 01:05
Never really listened to Tarkus. Don't feel like I'm missing much given the rest of ELP that I've heard.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 05:13
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Never really listened to Tarkus. Don't feel like I'm missing much given the rest of ELP that I've heard.
On that note: I've never listened to The Nice, because I found ELP to be very hit-and-miss and I have the impression that The Nice relied a lot on Keith Emerson's "playing noodly electronic cover versions of the classics" schtick, which was probably much more impressive at the time than it is today.

Side 1 of Tarkus is great though, easily the best thing ELP ever did. Though (perhaps because ELP's sense of humour doesn't really fly with me) I don't have much love for the second side of that album.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 09:54
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

ELP, for me, is only worth listening to all the way up to Karn Evil.

Tarkus is excellent, as is the 1st album, and if someone is going to have/appreciate a "progressive" collection, both of those should be in there. That is the 1st and Tarkus.

In the past year, I got these CD's again, because in the end, this is a very special feeling in these 1st 2 albums!

Edited by moshkito - February 25 2014 at 07:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 14:08
Thumbs Up

although I still believe that Works Volume One is unfairly maligned much the same way that Tales From Topographic Oceans is

Pirates , Piano Concerto No 1 and a great version of Tank with orchestra. Copeland endorsed the long version of Fanfare For The Common Man. Play that loud and find out really just how good your stereo is.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 15:20
King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Caravan, Soft Machine, VDGG, Gentle Giant, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso... and others i don't recall at the moment, unfortunately missed in such a UNIVERSE of great music i thiink i'll never finish discovering.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 16:42
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Thumbs Up

although I still believe that Works Volume One is unfairly maligned much the same way that Tales From Topographic Oceans is

Pirates , Piano Concerto No 1 and a great version of Tank with orchestra. Copeland endorsed the long version of Fanfare For The Common Man. Play that loud and find out really just how good your stereo is.

In the two last minutes of the Piano Concerto you'll find the embryo of the theme to the Fellowship of the Ring.
I'm not sure Howard Shore has ever heard this piece of music though.  Interesting how a few chords or bars can coincide like that.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 23:47
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Caravan, Soft Machine, VDGG, Gentle Giant, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso... and others i don't recall at the moment, unfortunately missed in such a UNIVERSE of great music i thiink i'll never finish discovering.
Rick......go buy KC's  ITCOTCK asap.
It should be at least heard by anyone who is into prog on any level.

Big smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:19
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Thumbs Up

In the two last minutes of the Piano Concerto you'll find the embryo of the theme to the Fellowship of the Ring.
I'm not sure Howard Shore has ever heard this piece of music though.  Interesting how a few chords or bars can coincide like that.

Interesting.Apparently when writing his Piano Concerto, Emerson was heavily influenced by this.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 07:12
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Big smile

Thanks for your suggestion, i'll take that in account, i've read in other thread about the different and/or the better phases of KC and they actually got me confused...

JCDenton View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:18
Sometimes it's been a matter of not wanting to know all of what's publicly known as "best" on here. There are plenty of albums on the PA top 100 I haven't heard.
-I only know two tracks on Nursery Cryme.
-The only full album listen I've given to a RPI group was Io Sono Nato Libero
-Never checked out all of Moonmadness
-I've mostly left alone a lot of jazz rock/fusion albums along with RIO/Avant-Prog ones.
-also Gentle Giant for some reason Confused I'm still not sure why I haven't heard much of their stuff… at all!

Oh, that's right. Much of the two years I've been a Proghead was just looking for 15+ minute songs to listen to. I got over myself about two months ago. So now I'm probably gonna check out these albums more in the future...
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 11:21

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Big smile

Thanks for your suggestion, i'll take that in account, i've read in other thread about the different and/or the better phases of KC and they actually got me confused...

Silly of me don't realize there's a lot of threads about King Crimson, but when it comes the KC turn i'll buy ITCOTCK.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 09:03

Silly of me don't realize there's a lot of threads about King Crimson, but when it comes the KC turn i'll buy ITCOTCK.

At least I think that this album is one of the most important ones in the progressive mode, and I do believe that it merits the attention. However, I'm not sure you're going to have a metalhead enjoy this ... that's a saxophone, not a screaming guitar! But it was much more "metal" then, than a lot of other things.

The album is too far out and way out there, but I think what throws people off is that no two pieces are similar or the same. The title piece and Epitath, maybe, but even then!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 16:38
I've never tried anything from Flower Kings or Spock's Beard, and I don't intend on doing so.

Other things, like Canterbury and Space rock, I might try to get into eventually. Always have wanted to try out Can and pick up the other Radio Gnome Invisible albums, and Hawkwind.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 03:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

At least I think that this album is one of the most important ones in the progressive mode, and I do believe that it merits the attention. However, I'm not sure you're going to have a metalhead enjoy this ... that's a saxophone, not a screaming guitar! But it was much more "metal" then, than a lot of other things.

The album is too far out and way out there, but I think what throws people off is that no two pieces are similar or the same. The title piece and Epitath, maybe, but even then!

Other bands in my check out list: The Enid, Amon Duul, Anglagard, Wallenstein, Focus, Nektar and Magma (these last three a lot of threads and suggestions in PA Forum).

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 04:51
Now that King Crimson came up, I realized I haven't heard Larks' Tongues in Aspic yet, probably because I've read more negative reviews of it than Starless and Bible Black or Red. Neither have I heard In the Wake of Poseidon nor Lizard, but I'm not sure either's considered a classic album.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dragontrouser View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 12:08
I havent heard ANY King Crimson and very little Gentle Giant (although i still have Octopus but never play it). About 30 years ago I had 2 or 3 other albums by GGt. Havent explored Zappa much either - problem with such prolific artists is where do you start, and do you really want to get into a band with a huge back catalogue that would cost an arm and a leg to get on vinyl.
Dragontrouser View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 12:11
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

I've never tried anything from Flower Kings or Spock's Beard, and I don't intend on doing so.

Other things, like Canterbury and Space rock, I might try to get into eventually. Always have wanted to try out Can and pick up the other Radio Gnome Invisible albums, and Hawkwind.

I think Can and Gong are patchy - some great some poor. With Can i would try Future Days or Ege Bamyasi, with Gong maybe one of the trilogy. Caravan were a more consistent band i think, pretty good until prog started to get dumbed down into MOR in the late 1970s.
jviola95 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 16:31
Curved Air, The Enid, and Triumvirat come to mind. Haven't gotten around to listening to any of them, but I do plan on checking them out soon.

There's also a bunch of RIO bands that I still need to check out. I've only become interested in that style over the past 6 months or so, so I still have a lot of exploring to do. Stormy Six and Aksak Maboul are two that I have yet to listen to, for example. 

http://www.last.fm/user/jviola95
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 07:36
While reading Jon Cavanaugh's book about the recording of Piper at the Gates of Dawn I also realized I've never heard the entirety of neither Dark Side of the Moon nor Wish You Were Here. Overexposure on radio play of their big hits really killed both LPs for me prematurely.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 07:37
^ But you are going to resurrect the rest of the tracks on the albums, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>