Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGentle Giant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 05:25
One, two and three Thumbs Up
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 07:19
Chronologically wouldn't be a bad approach.  I got hooked on The Power And The Glory and was fortunate enough to become a fan when they were still active.  Saw them on the Civilian tour in Atlanta and I think they only did five more shows on that tour after that.  Civilian doesn't get a lot of respect around here but I like it.  Not as much as their earlier stuff and Giant For A Day was pretty much the band hitting bottom with regards to prog.  I hated it at the time but have warmed up to it some. heheheheh 

I suppose you could start with the worst rated one and work your way out.  That might be rather interesting.

Do be aware that there are DVDs of them live.  Perhaps start there.  Or if you want a good old live assortment when they were at their proggy peak - Playing The Fool.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 22 2014 at 07:24
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 16:54
Hi,

Like Slart, I recommend the correct order. They get more rock music oriented as time goes by, whereas the earlier stuff is probably more outlandish and less about a song, for my ears.

But it seems I always recommend things in their order, more often, there is a logic in there that really helps understand the music, and it might be one person, or simply a design, or concept, and total change. It will make better sense, in its proper context than otherwise, I always think.

Edited by moshkito - February 22 2014 at 16:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 17:25
 I would actually start with the live album, Playing The Fool, Gentle Giant sounded much better live than on record (where they could sound a little stiff sometimes, with some stale production on some albums) and you get an overview of most of their best material on that album. It's a great album to start with, it's Gentle Giant at their peak playing their best material.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 09:57
I've never listened too Gentle Giant. So which album should i start listening to first
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 10:03
^ Pick any of the first 8 albums, you pretty much can't go wrong. 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 10:59
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

I've never listened too Gentle Giant. So which album should i start listening to first
Isn't that the OP's question? Read the replies.
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 13:33
Get every album chronologically and listen to how one of the most incredible bands ever evolved. Even at the end when they tried to conform a bit with the new wave & punk revolution they were far and beyond better songwriters than their contemporaries. I wish I was back at the beginning learning & listening to the genius that is Gentle Giant!
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 22:56
Chronologically would be best.
I agree that both Missing Piece and Giant for a Day are both not worth listening to, they are quite weak by any standards, but if you forget your GG expectations, Civillian is a very good album in a straight forward rock sense. If they had gone on like that, I for one would continued getting their LPs.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 01:57
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Chronologically would be best.
I agree that both Missing Piece and Giant for a Day are both not worth listening to, they are quite weak by any standards, but if you forget your GG expectations, Civillian is a very good album in a straight forward rock sense. If they had gone on like that, I for one would continued getting their LPs.

One shouldn't dismiss The Missing Piece completely; side 2 of the LP has all good to great tracks.....Old As You're Young, Memories of Old Days, Winning and especially For Nobody...the latter being my favourite prog rock GG composition of all time.
Admitedly side 1 is dire.....although I do like Two Weeks in Spain but the rest are awful.

Giant for a Day is terrible but Civilian is very underrated; I really do like it. I got into them in 1977 and felt that Civilian was a great attempt at sophisticated New Wave Rock with progressive elements. C'mon everyone stop poo pooing Civilian and appreciate the quality of the songs and musciianship.

Edited by BarryGlibb - February 28 2014 at 01:58
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 03:14
@BarryGlib: Yes, I have to agree, I was a bit hasty with my dismissal of Missing Piece, the tracks you mention are very good indeed.
I suppose I was and am disappointed with the direction GG was partially taking with this album. As you say, there are excellent tracks, but then there are also quite disappointing ones, which was new for any GG release.
Giant for a Day seemed a desperate misstep in search of a new identity, whereas Civillian was a second change of direction which could have lead to tremendous things. Sadly, not to be.

Edited by npjnpj - February 28 2014 at 03:15
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 03:20
For Nobody is a great track. I love GG in that mode.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 19:39
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Try The Missing Piece, not their best, but not their worst, either. Great album.

Has 2 of my fave GG songs. As old as you're young and Winning
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 21:35
Octopus was the one I got into first, but, oddly enough, it's my least favorite of the GG 8.
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 11:08
Well still can't make my mind up with which Gentle Giant LP to start with.I see a Best Of on Ebay called Gentle Giant Giant Steps The First Five Years 2 CD compilation.It has the cool song Wreck on it which i like.Maybe i should start with this? But my god i hate the cover of it,couldn't anyone come up with a better cover than that?
Any thought or suggestions appreciated. Any other best of or anthologys out there i don't know about?
Thanks Jeff
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 11:23
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

Well still can't make my mind up with which Gentle Giant LP to start with.I see a Best Of on Ebay called Gentle Giant Giant Steps The First Five Years 2 CD compilation.It has the cool song Wreck on it which i like.Maybe i should start with this? But my god i hate the cover of it,couldn't anyone come up with a better cover than that?
Any thought or suggestions appreciated. Any other best of or anthologys out there i don't know about?
Thanks Jeff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentle_Giant#Compilations
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 14:46
Ok-Here's what i just did.I bought the 2 CD Compilation GG Edge Of Twilight.This should give me a good overall impression of what Gentle Giant is all about.If i feel the need then i'll start getting each album.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 16:11
^ Sounds very reasonable.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 21:15
Gentle Giant are very, very well known in all prog circles I have encountered except this site. MOst on here seem obsessed with PT and DT. Tongue I'd say after KC they are probably the most well known prog band(not counting the other obvious bands).Anyway, my favorite is probably Octopus but any of their 70-75 albums are great and true classics imo.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - March 01 2014 at 21:17
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Isn't that the OP's question? Read the replies.

He had too much to drink, and dope, and thus, is not suited to listening to any Gentle Giant album.

We should lock him up with some Third Ear Band for 5 hours. That ought to get him set straight!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>