Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnderstanding Moonchild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 09:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I suspect none of it means anything..

People were very stoned back then..

I sincerely doubt that most of this album, and any KC work, was centered around any drugs. The joke might be construed that a lot of their music simply isn't stoned enough!

And that's probably why it's called "progressive", and so many others aren't!

I believe that most of this album is a result of really good and well defined rehearsal processes and then very well defined moments in music that were created were simply made better. I'm not even sure that there was as much improvisation here as there is (and always was) on most of Robert's solo albums all around, as a comparison point.

I'd like to think it was just the product of good musicians doing a little messing around...

Or not messing around!

Either way it works!

Rehearsal techniques in theater and film, are just like this! And sometimes, things happen that are totally different and off center, and they work just fine! And someone in that group, likely Robert, has a good sense for those moments and is capable of making sure they "live" and get more attention!

I don't see that as a "secret". But it is a "talent", when you can recognize the moments. Cinematographers LIVE for that second in film!

Edited by moshkito - March 17 2014 at 09:36
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 09:43
Nicely balanced appraisal of the Moonchild from Eric Tamm's unjustly neglected book here http://www.progressiveears.com/frippbook/ch04.htm
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 09:46
"I'm an awkward silence"

give me strength...
What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 13:16
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Nicely balanced appraisal of the Moonchild from Eric Tamm's unjustly neglected book here http://www.progressiveears.com/frippbook/ch04.htm

Thanks for the link.....it was an interesting piece.
Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 06:17
I love "pointless noodling", nothing wrong with "pointless noodling". Often a lot more interesting than "fast as possible guitar playing" (drumming or whatever). A lot better than "trying to sound like", not to mention "worked well last album, lets try that again"
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 07:26
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I love "pointless noodling", nothing wrong with "pointless noodling". Often a lot more interesting than "fast as possible guitar playing" (drumming or whatever). A lot better than "trying to sound like", not to mention "worked well last album, lets try that again"

Why is slow or medium paced purposeless playing superior to very fast purposeless playing and the emboldened part, erm..on their debut?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 07:28

Why is slow or medium paced purposeless playing superior to very fast purposeless playing and the emboldened part, erm..on their debut?

Yes, one would think fast-paced pointless noodling would be better; after all, it's over quicker. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 08:43

Maybe that is the reason why the album is remembered, instead of it just being like everyone else's where the music sounds exactly the same in 4 songs, so you can call it metal, symphonic, or idiotic!  Embarrassed  Confused

It's getting to the point that we, the supposed fans< don't even allow different things anymore?

Very scary!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Thanks for the link.....it was an interesting piece.
Cool

There are some excellent things here, and one of them is a bit of a breakdown on the rehearsal process, that in the end, Robert states 4 individuals that didn't know what they were doing. I find that a bit exagerated, because that's like saying that you have to know music to compose, and we know that's not true, by rock music itself and its history, not mentioning jazz! That would be one of his over the top, leave me alone style comments!

However, later, the article quoted John Cage and K Stockhausen, and there is a bit in there that is important in rehearsal for improvisation techniques. Learning how to work with silence. In advanced acting stuff, this is the hardest thing to put down with Harold Pinter (for example) and doing it with music, is DEADLY, and SCARY for most folks, if you do not KNOW, or UNDERSTAND, what it is that you are doing, and this is where a director, an external person, is really helpful. Most rock bands rely on recording or taping to get this far, but in the end, they are only looking at changing different notes and the like in the music itself, not working the "experience" that the music creates.

The nice bit, that is the part that Dean likely won't buy, is the silence one, when you are not "thinking", which is a well known meditation exercise. If you are thinking the continuation is "obvious", and when you are "not", the whole thing takes on different dimentions, as your reactions show. This is a master exercise for super advanced acting classes and you will find the RSC or National Theater work with these spot on time and again, because you can see the details and clarity of their responses. There is no "trickery" to learn that. It is an inner response that can be taught some, but you don't want to "learn it" because it takes away the moment itself.

Improvisation is not about what you see. It's about what you do not see, or can conceive. Without that part, it is useless and a fruitless exercise.

Edited by moshkito - March 18 2014 at 08:59
www.pedrosena.com
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 08:54

I dont think i said "slow or medium paced purposeless playing is superior to very fast purposeless playing"

I said I prefer "pointless noodling" over "fast as possible guitar playing"

About the emboldened part, I was not comparing ITCOTCK with ITCOTCK:

I said I prefer "pointless noodling" over "worked well last album, lets try that again"

In both cases I was refering to the OP's reference to Moonchild beeing accused of beeing "pointless noodling",
trying to defend that "pointless noodling" often turns out to be wonderfull music, compared to other methods of music creation. (fast as possible guitar playing" "trying to sound like", "worked well last album, lets try that again")

Edited by tamijo - March 18 2014 at 09:14
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 09:00

In both cases I was refering to the OP's reference to Moonchild beeing accused of beeing "pointless noodling",
trying to defend that "pointless noodling" often turns out to be wonderfull music, compared to other methods of music creation.

Thank you! I appreciate a lot!

And how well this also worked for Can, Amon Duul 2 and others!

Edited by moshkito - March 18 2014 at 09:01
www.pedrosena.com
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 09:22

trying to defend that "pointless noodling" often turns out to be wonderfull music, compared to other methods of music creation.

Yes, and what would the RIO moventment be about, if we banned "pointless noodeling", they were fighting for artistic freedom, to noodle and stuf.

Edited by tamijo - March 18 2014 at 09:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 09:43

Yes, and what would the RIO moventment be about, if we banned "pointless noodeling", they were fighting for artistic freedom, to noodle and stuf.

Perhaps you are right, and a man's right to pointlessly noodle is an inalienable right that should not be trammeled by fripperies such as purpose, intent or structure. Tom Verlaine (who admittedly has some 'previous' as a noodler) perhaps expressed this futile course best : I want a nice little boat made out of ocean
You're clearly a hippy.

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 18 2014 at 09:48
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 10:08

Perhaps you are right, and a man's right to pointlessly noodle is an inalienable right that should not be trammeled by fripperies such as purpose, intent or structure. Tom Verlaine (who admittedly has some 'previous' as a noodler) perhaps expressed this futile course best : I want a nice little boat made out of ocean
You're clearly a hippy.

What is weird'r is that Burroughs talked about "52 pickup" which became well known in Bowie/Eno and many other circles for lyricists, which was similar to what Holger Czukay did on Tago Mago. You grab this and that and this and that ... and glue it back sideways, and there you have it.

I do not think that we accept the reality that things like that DID HAPPEN, and many times we dismiss it as child's play, and yeah, many musicians might not like to talk about it, because it did not require "musical talent" which their music now DOES. And I think that idea of "no talent" or "no ability" scares a lot of folks, that try, instead to infuse it with NOTES, or fake EMOTION to make you believe that it is important!  And this is the side that makes "progressive" harder to define and discuss, without us all getting so damn stuck up on our own musical ideas!

Edited by moshkito - March 18 2014 at 10:12
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 11:46
The improvisation section is centered around creating visuals for the listener ...because of the nature of the playing style on each individual instrument. Not in all cases is this concept of writing intended to be for anyone in the musicians mind. Other times it is ..for example in the case of Robert Fripp. So actually, I would have to say that the music is closely related to theatre production. The style of writing is on the poetic side with Pete Sinfield and the atmospheric sounds produced on instruments along with dynamics which are full of drama...very much in the same vain of a composer who reads a script and creates music to build up the emotions of the actor's role. Or an actual composition written for a play. I.T.C.O.T.C.K. has that mentality of work involvement. Fripp had great ideas and he was truly creative about it. This style of writing though...has existed for centuries and it has been more experimented with over the last 5 decades and defined as a term that is modern to society.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 12:23
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

The improvisation section is centered around creating visuals for the listener ...because of the nature of the playing style on each individual instrument. Not in all cases is this concept of writing intended to be for anyone in the musicians mind. Other times it is ..for example in the case of Robert Fripp. So actually, I would have to say that the music is closely related to theatre production. The style of writing is on the poetic side with Pete Sinfield and the atmospheric sounds produced on instruments along with dynamics which are full of drama...very much in the same vain of a composer who reads a script and creates music to build up the emotions of the actor's role. Or an actual composition written for a play. I.T.C.O.T.C.K. has that mentality of work involvement. Fripp had great ideas and he was truly creative about it. This style of writing though...has existed for centuries and it has been more experimented with over the last 5 decades and defined as a term that is modern to society.

Hmm....that works for me , almost like a soundtrack embellishment for a specific scene in a film.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 12:37
In the Court of the Crimson King was pretty "well thought out" obviously because Pete Sinfield and Robert Fripp were part of the band. Don't doubt it. Ian McDonald was a perfectionist and composed the music which was more vital to the album and it's originality. It was a band that concentrated more on writing and the sections of improvisation fell between. In some cases ..one particular musician in a band will already have the flow of the album in their head. From the very start, they know that they want to compose a drawn out piece like "Epitaph" to close side 1 of the album. This can all materialize by 1 individual having an idea. Fripp fully understands how to write music concepts and already conceiving the foundation of it before putting it on to tape.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 12:45

Perhaps you are right, and a man's right to pointlessly noodle is an inalienable right that should not be trammeled by fripperies such as purpose, intent or structure. Tom Verlaine (who admittedly has some 'previous' as a noodler) perhaps expressed this futile course best : I want a nice little boat made out of oceanYou're clearly a hippy.

I will not try to speculate on what you are. If it makes you feel good to declare what you think I am, its fine with me, but it does not change this debate. There is no evidence that music is better if the artists had purpose, intent or structure, in Jazz it is the norm, that you have very little purpose, intent or structure, to get a situation where the performers “compose” as much as possible in the process of playing.In rock music you have the same thing happening, with some bands, King Crimson is one of them.
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2014 at 23:07
That . . . was beautiful
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 14:04
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

The improvisation section is centered around creating visuals for the listener ...because of the nature of the playing style on each individual instrument. Not in all cases is this concept of writing intended to be for anyone in the musicians mind....

You want to be careful here. What the audience sees/gets, has nothing to do with the actor/actress/musician. Conversely, what the actor/actress/musician thinks is not also what the audience picks up!

It never is, and this is the one thing that we deceive outselves on all the time. When you think you got this across, something else came across that you did not catch or see at all!

Improvisation is about helping find a/the/any "moment", and how to work with it. In the end, that "moment" is centered around "attention" and your ability to absorb and respond. Improvisation is not just about words, as some theater groups tend to make you think, and when you watch "What's my line?" you can tell right away what the "process" is, which is almost all sequential based on the physical movement, or last words.

For these music examples, it is not what this is about, and it is much more elaborate and way further than the fun exanple that Dean gave us that fit the "What's My Line?" show than it did in music, or a serious acting/film rehearsal, where you ALREADY have a flow, and you simply have to find "details" inside that "flow" that allow you to say your lines/music in a much better defined context.

Only the best of "actors" get to the advanced stage, mnore like 1 out of 40 from your acting school or the like, and the same is for music, and the main reason is because these folks have the ability to zero in the "moment" and make it better.  Without that ability to get that far, and learn more, so you have more to work with, only means that your output will be grossly limited.

Thx
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>