Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 16:52
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Quote mean-spir·it·ed adjective : feeling or showing a cruel desire to cause harm or pain
Oh, right. Must have been really cutting words then. 

Dem roight ebil, it were.
Of course, accusing musicians and the musically-minded of racism or fascist nationalism when referring to historically verifiable points isn't at all mean-spirited. Fatuous, perhaps -- maybe even without context or utterly baseless -- but not mean-spirited.

Fortunately I didn't do that either. 

No, you didn't. But then I wasn't referring to you.
Didn't think you were but wasn't sure.
What?
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 17:17
I both like the simple 4/4 tempos in a prog rock song (yes, 4/4 can be prog too) and the much more elaborate song structures and tempos.

A great example of relatively simple structures is Psychotic Waltz's "Bleeding", their most mature release IMO. Mostly 4/4 tempos with some twists and turns and some songs including a structure of verse/refrain/verse x 2/refrain, which I found a nice twist.

Generally speaking the way more conventional structures within prog songs are used could make a big difference to my appreciation of the song/artist/album.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 17:52

Quote mean-spir·it·ed adjective : feeling or showing a cruel desire to cause harm or pain
Oh, right. Must have been really cutting words then. 

Dem roight ebil, it were.
Of course, accusing musicians and the musically-minded of racism or fascist nationalism when referring to historically verifiable points isn't at all mean-spirited. Fatuous, perhaps -- maybe even without context or utterly baseless -- but not mean-spirited.

Fortunately I didn't do that either. 

No, you didn't. But then I wasn't referring to you.
Didn't think you were but wasn't sure.
I was referring to a blanket statement someone made that accused the general posting population here of ethnocentrism and imperialism regarding the progressive rock timeline, while all along ignoring the historical facts in the matter. Sorry if you felt like collateral damage. Wink 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 20:53

This is not a competition. Stern Smile

I'm sure there were some bands in many parts of the world that were making a noise that sounded like a hybrid of heavy metal and punk around the mid 80s, but unless those bands were in Seattle around 1987 when the term Grunge was first applied to that specific style of music then it wasn't Grunge.

Right, which was my point about rock--  Iggy and his Stooges were doing a sort of hard Garage rock, with the probability that English musicians were being influenced by that sound (an attempt to expand on Blues music).   But really what they were doing was simply rock 'n roll; a raw and primitive kind, but pure American rock 'n roll.   Not unlike the Beatles very early gigs in Germany and England.   We're talking loud, heavy stuff played with abandon.   That's what rock was to many young people because it was fun and you could play it, unlike jazz, Pop Vocal, or classical.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 07:36
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I wanted to ask you earlier about the 'origin' of the authors too.  I am neither American nor British and am not willing to discount the importance of American pyschedelic rock as an influence.  Can for instance cite Velvet Underground as one of their chief influences on the rock side of things. 

This is possibly one of the main reasons I don't consider Krautrock to be Prog. (and rest assured my idea of Prog is far greater and far reaching than just the English Symphonic brigade) That's not a qualitative judgement, after all, the Velvets are probably one of my favourite bands of all time but their oeuvre is not hewn from the same stuff as Prog i.e. it's more an avant garde, outlier, pared down, confrontational and visceral/nihilistic attitude that eschews the refinements of technical virtuosity and form. (and especially subject matter) Maybe Krautrock has more in common with Punk that we would care to admit? Say what you like about a band as hugely influential in so many disparate fields of music as the Velvets, but they are the antithesis of Prog non pareil. But yes, the influence of late 60's Psychedelia from whatever source, is clearly discernible in Krautrock. (Beefheart, Zappa, Seeds, Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Arthur Brown, Doors, Hawkwind, Love etc) and can be traced right through to celebrated post punk mancunians the Fall.Shocked

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 07 2014 at 08:06
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 09:26
But that would be a bit like saying Larks or Red is too heavy/aggressive to be prog. Velvet Underground is just one of Can's influences.  They were also interested in the work of composers like Steve Reich.  I also don't necessarily see nihilism as incompatible with prog, far from it.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 09:58
 I was referring to a blanket statement someone made that accused the general posting population here of ethnocentrism and imperialism regarding the progressive rock timeline, while all along ignoring the historical facts in the matter. Sorry if you felt like collateral damage. Wink 

Again, we should re-read the line ... it basically says that no one in Africa was good enough to play a Fender,   or that no one in Argentina ever played a Ludwig set, or anyone in Australia ever saw a Teac! And in the old days in England they used to call the Africans and the Hindu's "savages"!

Maybe we need to have a few folks take a look at Eurock's old listings of musicians from around the world. And reconsider who is being close minded here and showing their xenophobic ethnocentrism in their comments a lot more than I who has lived in 3 continents!

Edited by moshkito - April 07 2014 at 10:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 10:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Again, we should re-read the line ... it basically says that no one in Africa was good enough to play a Fender,   or that no one in Argentina ever played a Ludwig set, or anyone in Australia ever saw a Teac!

Does it really? How very inflammatory. 
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 10:08
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

But that would be a bit like saying Larks or Red is too heavy/aggressive to be prog. Velvet Underground is just one of Can's influences.  They were also interested in the work of composers like Steve Reich.  I also don't necessarily see nihilism as incompatible with prog, far from it.  

Not even a sitter, perhaps nihilism was a bad choice for an initiate but I just meant that the sophistication or perhaps esoteric nature of Prog was anathema to the VU i.e not dissimilar to the ethos that if you have a pulse you can do this DIY aesthetic of Punk
. Do you honestly equate visceral/confrontational to heavy'/aggressive as if someone as dolefully conformist  like say ACDC embodies the former? Keith Emerson adores the work of Alberto Ginastera but certainly ain't an avant garde composer. I'm starting to suspect you are an accountant? Prove me wrong...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 10:32

Again, we should re-read the line ... it basically says that no one in Africa was good enough to play a Fender,   or that no one in Argentina ever played a Ludwig set, or anyone in Australia ever saw a Teac! And in the old days in England they used to call the Africans and the Hindu's "savages"!

Maybe we need to have a few folks take a look at Eurock's old listings of musicians from around the world. And reconsider who is being close minded here and showing their xenophobic ethnocentrism in their comments a lot more than I who has lived in 3 continents!

Is xenophobic ethnocentrism a kind of Spinal Tap turn it up to 11 version 0f ethnocentrism?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 10:44
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Not even a sitter, perhaps nihilism was a bad choice for an initiate but I just meant that the sophistication or perhaps esoteric nature of Prog was anathema to the VU i.e not dissimilar to the ethos that if you have a pulse you can do this DIY aesthetic of Punk
. Do you honestly equate visceral/confrontational to heavy'/aggressive as if someone as dolefully conformist  like say ACDC embodies the former? Keith Emerson adores the work of Alberto Ginastera but certainly ain't an avant garde composer. I'm starting to suspect you are an accountant? Prove me wrong...

Guilty as charged.  However, I did not equate nihilism to heavy/aggressive music.  Is there a profession for people who do not read carefully?  I said, "It would be like saying Red is too heavy/aggressive to be prog."  Now those albums do have some of the nihilistic qualities of punk in places and Fripp went on to sympathise with the punk movement and embrace the DIY ethic to some extent.  Red is far removed from the staidness of AC DC; if I used specific albums to make a parallel than I must have had a specific point in mind, no?  

Being that in today's humbler times, many prog albums are in fact self produced and even funded by fans for want of label support, it is actually not as incompatible as you appear to believe.  I don't think prog is necessarily all that sophisticated in the larger scheme of things (ok some of it but there's plenty that isn't) but that's a different discussion.

Edited by rogerthat - April 07 2014 at 10:45
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 19:13
Some of my views on the original question: Structure in music is only a means to facilitate a musician's vision, as structure in a building is only a means to facilitate an architects vision. There are many practical considerations that if not accounted for, will not result in a successful realization or even a useful end product. If the vision is radical, new techniques must be invented, if not, old techniques can be used in new ways. History is filled with stories of those whose visions exceeded conventions. The new, the avant-garde, is, like everything else, built upon that which came before. Even a rejection of a style or structure is influenced by that style or structure. New does not always mean better. Neither does old. There are many ways to progress, and there are many ways to innovate.   
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 19:19
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

aababcbdcabdbcdadcbdcdbdebdcbadcbdcdabdcebfbcdaba
This is wrong. There's one "d" too many here. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 19:20
The episodic nature of long songs like Supper's ready don't appeal to me when the tracks are so long. I can take Can-utility and the Coastliners episodic nature but a 20-minute incoherent Frankenstein song is too much. Maybe my classically-grown mind is guilty for that. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 19:21
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Some of my views on the original question: Structure in music is only a means to facilitate a musician's vision, as structure in a building is only a means to facilitate an architects vision. There are many practical considerations that if not accounted for, will not result in a successful realization or even a useful end product. If the vision is radical, new techniques must be invented, if not, old techniques can be used in new ways. History is filled with stories of those whose visions exceeded conventions. The new, the avant-garde, is, like everything else, built upon that which came before. Even a rejection of a style or structure is influenced by that style or structure. New does not always mean better. Neither does old. There are many ways to progress, and there are many ways to innovate.   

Good post.  Structure is only as good as the execution.  So answering the OP for the first time in the thread Tongue I don't have a particular favourite structure for prog.  It is purely contextual.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 21:36
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

The episodic nature of long songs like Supper's ready don't appeal to me when the tracks are so long. I can take Can-utility and the Coastliners episodic nature but a 20-minute incoherent Frankenstein song is too much. Maybe my classically-grown mind is guilty for that. 
I bought my copy of the Foxtrot when I was 13, that was a long time ago, and no one is convinced  me that the Supper's Ready is one song. Always that Supper's Ready sounds to me like a half of a concept album or an album within the album. I mean, if Supper's Ready is one song, then Tommy (original 1969 album) is "one song" too.

I'm not a musician, even I have never held an instrument in my hands, so my opinion about a song structure is not valid one, but for me this is an example of a well structured progressive rock epic although it is an instrumental, and allhough it has nothing to do with the British progressive rock movement (scene)..

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 21:53
 I was referring to a blanket statement someone made that accused the general posting population here of ethnocentrism and imperialism regarding the progressive rock timeline, while all along ignoring the historical facts in the matter. Sorry if you felt like collateral damage. Wink 

Kipling called them "Fuzzy Wuzzies", if I recall. Not that it has anything at all to do with the conversation. If you care so much for the downtrodden 3rd World, perhaps you should take some of the Leon Trotsky memorial silver spoons you've been eating off of and give them to the poor.

We are talking about progressive rock, yes? I would suggest it was primarily a British invention, just as blues, R&B and jazz were American inventions (African-American, to be precise). Rock and Roll was originally an American invention absconded by the Brits, who had spent most of the early 60s venerating Black American blues and R&B performers, diversified by the late 60s and infused the Western European classical music tradition (and a bit of jazz) into the rock mix and...voila! Prog. The Brits released the most relevant, highest selling and most influential prog albums WORLDWIDE. It is not even debatable. Everyone else followed along until the next shiny toy came along: punk (again, an American/Brit amalgamation, with a bit of Jamaican seasoning).

Simplistic, I know. But I am dealing with simpletons. If you would like to somehow rewrite history with the typical revisionist claptrap, I'd love to hear of the Czechoslovakian band who in 1965 put Bo Diddley compositions into sonata form and released the stellar Prog in Prague: What Bo Don't Know. A travesty it only sold 5 albums before the band went back to the coal mines.

And personally, I don't give a damn about Argentinian drummers, Australian tape players, or African guitarists (except for the great Ali Farka Toure, who had absolutely nothing to do with prog rock whatsoever), because they are not relevant to what we've been talking about. Sorry if that hurts your Third World Patricianly sensibilities,  but what you are saying is plain silly and completely out of context.

Be careful, Mosh, you've already been kicked off of 3 continents -- there are only a couple decent ones left!

But it is not a matter of "xenophobic ethnocentrism", it is you who are incapable of looking past your obvious anti-American/anti-British (yes, "British" has only one damn 't') biases and prejudices and giving credit where credit is due.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 00:14
IMO this is a great example of a well structured and yet modern, contemporary progressive rock epic; the song entitled Parallel Timeline is released just three days ago by the German prog rock trio (the members are from Dortmund, Cologne and Munich) ELIZABETH THE LAST ; this band did do two great singles (both epic) and, perhaps apart from the band's name, their music has nothing to do with the British progressive rock movement (scene) in late 60s/early 70s: 

Edited by Svetonio - April 08 2014 at 00:22
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 08:26
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Some of my views on the original question: Structure in music is only a means to facilitate a musician's vision, as structure in a building is only a means to facilitate an architects vision.

I would say this is only 50% right!

Structure, is, quite often, something that we can discern AFTERWARDS. Not everyone composes ahead of time. You might have a small detail or something you want to play, but many times you don't know what it will bring until after you play it.

Krautrock, and a lot of the improvisational music that came to be known as psychedelic (for example) was in many ways music where the folks were too stoned to have it recorded or even produced. (Sometimes, not always!)  Take this with some milk and sugar please! It's a bit of a joke, but it tells you that when you are in it, for the "experience", you would not be thinking about recording it.

This was what made the really early Grateful Dead recordings so valuable. The amazing endless jams in the 5 or 6 hour concerts. Most of which became a sort of imprint for a lot of the stuff done later. Other influences, for example would be Guru Guru's 3rd album, which is total Jimi Hendrix, as was a lot of their earlier stuff with Ax G.

It's not "pre-defined music", thus, how can you explain a "structure"?

There might be a moment or two, or sound, or something that they are going to play around (try LSD March!) and the rest is wide open, and the structure comes as it comes and people adjust to whatever they know and can do. READ Helmut Hattler's interview at PA ... "think of something ... play it!" ... when they were stuck! You could say that they might have played the easiest thing they know?

I'm not sure that you are giving musicians credit for being able to improvise and create something that is not "composed". It's like saying that Keith Jarrett is f**king insane ... how can he remember it all before he sits at the piano for 30 minutes and such?

We're not giving credit for the fact that recording has shown us something that "composition" and "music" didn't have before, (I suppose you could say that 100 years ago, any "composer" would have written it down, but if you play an instrument, there are times when you don't know what you played ... it just came out! Now you can sit and break it down. 100 years ago you couldn't as well as today!

See how recording has changed music? We're not allowing it to "develop" because we keep insisting on structure, when we don't even know what we might be doing while experimenting. And all those Kraftwerk, and this and that were just that!

Edited by moshkito - April 08 2014 at 08:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 08:42

But it is not a matter of "xenophobic ethnocentrism", it is you who are incapable of looking past your obvious anti-American/anti-British (yes, "British" has only one damn 't') biases and prejudices and giving credit where credit is due.

Again, the point is, and you still don't see it, that both of these countries were much more developed in the media, specially radio and television, which helped dictate that there was music in America and England, but in Africa there was no music. And later, the islands brought you reggae, which has been there for 500 years! Go see the film "Cinema Paradiso" to get a slight idea of how different it was!

It's the educational side that is being ignored and you are upset at me for saying it.

And for the record I was not kicked out, and there is a reason why a dad made it in the literary world, and many others don't. It isn't just luck. It's the quality of the work and creativity around it. I can honestly say, that, sadly, even in a thread like this, some folks are trying hard to close down the avenues of creativity and cultural heritages as invalid creative instincts.

It is all way too mixed up for anyone to make sense of. But in the meantime, the Brittish and the Americans owned the world. Oh well 450 years ago it was the Portuguese and the Spanish ... my oh my, how they have fallen!

Edited by moshkito - April 08 2014 at 09:00
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>