Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOpeth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 09:41
I've never been an Opeth fan. Growls/Heavy Metal has never been in my listening and i've never been interested enough to keep with their "alternative" albums like Damnation and Heritage. Just falls flat for me.

Oh well. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 13:10
Darn! Me love them growlings!!! Also speaking on Ghost Reveries. That instrumental outro on Atonement is otherworldly!!! One of my favorites.
ultra plinian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 13:52
Opeth mastermind Mikael Åkerfeldt guests on this week’s podcast to talk about their new album that drops in June, how his kids take to metal and his thoughts on the current “occult” metal trend. He also talks at length about how he no longer feels inspired by death metal, and why Opeth’s music has moved away from that sound.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/04/14/metalsucks-podcast-46-special-guest-mikael-akerfeldt-opeth/
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -Tyrion Lannister from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Molitro View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 09:30
May I start by saying I've never particularly liked very heavy, or deathy metal (particularly growling). And so, falling in my tastes, a friend showed me the softer side of Opeth with A Fair Judgement and Windowpane. To this day A Fair Judgement is still my favorite Opeth song.
Then I listened to Damnation. Loved it. 
And then, little by little, listened to the harder stuff. Today, Ghost Reveries is still growing on me to the point it's actually my favorite album over Damnation, and consider it little less than a masterpiece, if less at all.

That's the amazing quality of Opeth.

Long live Akerfeldt, and I'm really looking forward to the new album.

Edited by Molitro - April 18 2014 at 09:37
jverweij View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 09:32
I've been a fan ever since Blackwater Park. I've seen them live no less than 6 times. Up until Heritage they could do no wrong. I used to find music with growls unlistenable, but the interesting riffs and melodies got me hooked enough to listen through them. After awhile I even started appreciating them. The delicate balance between brutal and beautiful is what made Opeth so great.

Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries are in my top 10 of bestestest prog albums. I would rate My Arms, Your Hears, and Still Life almost as high, but can't have a top 10 filled with 1 band. As I said, I really dislike Heritage. This has nothing to do with the absence of growls, heck I even welcome that, but the album lacked focus and just felt messy.

I've heard some of Pale Communion and am happy to say that they seem to be back on track. I find Mikael's sudden dislike of metal a little stupid. On Pale Communion there are a few downright Opeth metal pieces, but because metal is suddenly bad they just turn the distortion down.

Favourite tracks for me are:

the Leper Affinity
Ghost of Perdition
the Drapery Falls

opethpainter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 18:52
ever wondered why i keep being called "opethpainter"? :)

opeth are for sure one of the greatest bands alive today.

FYI, me and a friend of mine have written a book - only available in italian language - it's unofficial, but mikael himself knows about that and owns a copy.

Here you can find some more infos & photos.

rhinehartd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 04:47
I remember seeing Opeth at the Mayan in LA, on their Heritage tour. The crowd grew increasingly desperate as the night wore on and they didn't play a single one of their heavy songs. Finally, when they launched into a three-song acoustic set, the guy in front of me snapped, let out a frustrated roar, and started headbanging to it. 
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 06:45
Despite being a huge progressive/metal/progressive metal fan...this band just never clicked with me. I've given it try after try after try, and it just does...nothing for me.

Perhaps I should give it another go. I haven't heard their most recent work...
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:35
New album is quite good. All proggers should check their last two... not as good as the 70s, but still worth the while..
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 16:00
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

New album is quite good. All proggers should check their last two... not as good as the 70s, but still worth the while..

Thanks for the insight, I'll have to do just that!
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 16:17
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I heard one Opeth album and that was enough for me. Smile

LOL
The only one I own is Watershed...but I've heard several of the higher rated ones. They are very good at what they do
and I would prolly be more interested in their  material if it weren't for the 'death growl vocals'.
Heritage is more accessible if you want to give it a try.

I've heard one as well, Heritage.  I've also heard Akerfeldt sing one song on an OSI album and really like that song.  I think their new direction is awesome and looking forward to a first listen to Pale Communion soon.  Sadly, there won't be much going back into their back catalog as the death metal growling scares me.  Never been into that.  But I love the dark heavy prog sound on Heritage and looking forward to more of that.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 20:01
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I heard one Opeth album and that was enough for me. Smile

LOL

The only one I own is Watershed...but I've heard several of the higher rated ones. They are very good at what they do

and I would prolly be more interested in their material if it weren't for the 'death growl vocals'.

Heritage is more accessible if you want to give it a try.
I've heard one as well, Heritage. I've also heard Akerfeldt sing one song on an OSI album and really like that song. I think their new direction is awesome and looking forward to a first listen to Pale Communion soon. Sadly, there won't be much going back into their back catalog as the death metal growling scares me. Never been into that. But I love the dark heavy prog sound on Heritage and looking forward to more of that.

I have been enjoying that new album well enough.... even though I still need some more listenings. I feel it's the Heritage experiment giving it's results... it's got a few similarities, but it sounds more focuses. Still, not much metal in there. As for the growling thing, I have never enjoyed that either, so I have been having trouble enjoying Opeth too, though I have given them a few tries. There's also the Damnation album, which is completley growlless, though I'm afraid that even though many people have enjoyed that one a lot, it just didn't do much for me, I found it rather boring. But at least there's the Watershed album, which has several cool songs without growls. So far, the only song with growls that I have really been able to enjoy, a lot, is "The Drapery Falls".
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 08:40
Pale Communion turned up today. I quite enjoyed it, much more focused and cohesive than Heritage, no pointless noodling here, but I think the mix could do with some work. There are times where the guitars could do with being a bit louder or more prominent to emphasise some of the heavier sections.   
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

PJ20 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 02:09

love their soft songs.

Harvest, Windowpane. 
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 02:20
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Pale Communion turned up today. I quite enjoyed it, much more focused and cohesive than Heritage, no pointless noodling here, but I think the mix could do with some work. There are times where the guitars could do with being a bit louder or more prominent to emphasise some of the heavier sections.   

Good summation of how I felt about it, actual songs are nice, part of me thinks some of Heritage was improv, Heritage 3 starts, Pale Communion 4 stars, only complaint for me are the underwhelming lyrical themes. Heritage suffered from that too, guess he's just running out of things to write about. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:32
My copy of the CD turned up today too, does anyone else find the lyrics really hard to read? 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:48
Yeah, that styalised font wasn't a good idea, even if it does fit in with the rest of the artwork. Can't say I've noticed any lack in the lyrics but at this point I'm more interested in the vocal melody than the lyrics anyway.

I'm surprised at the reviews that are being posted for this album so far, reading them any one would think that it's a soft, mellow album like Damnation when it really isn't. Some people are seriously in need of learning that you don't have to be metal to be heavy, and Pale Communion is still quite a heavy album.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 21:46
Yeah, it isn't soft un-metal album as Damnation. But I still would have liked it to be heavier... with a more metal sound. However, it's really great just as it is anyway, so I guess I shouldn't complain. The thing is, I would still like to hear a true metal album from Opeth, but without growls.

Edited by Dellinger - August 27 2014 at 21:48
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 22:53
The new album is solid and I gave it 4 stars.  While I gave Heritage 4 stars as well, I think it is more like 3.5 whereas Pale Communion is closer to 4.5.  It took me a while to get used to the grunting, but not I love it.  I think Still Life, Ghost Reveries, and Blackwater Park are masterpieces.   I just got Watershed, and it is also excellent.  I still need to get the first three, and there is a box set called Candlelight Years that I am thinking about.

UPDATE:  I did decide to bump up the new album to 5 stars since we have no 10 point rating system.  The more I listen to it the more I love it, even though it is not a progressive metal album.  I am rating it on the merits as a progressive rock release and it is easily as good as anything else out right now.

Edited by javajeff - August 28 2014 at 17:49
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 04:28
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

The new album is solid and I gave it 4 stars.  While I gave Heritage 4 stars as well, I think it is more like 3.5 whereas Pale Communion is closer to 4.5.  It took me a while to get used to the grunting, but not I love it.  I think Still Life, Ghost Reveries, and Blackwater Park are masterpieces.   I just got Watershed, and it is also excellent.  I still need to get the first three, and there is a box set called Candlelight Years that I am thinking about.

Get it! Morningrise and My Arms Your Hearse are both excellent, My Arms Your Hearse is absolutely essential and every bit as good as BWP 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>