Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes fans? Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes fans? Help!
    Posted: April 21 2014 at 17:23
One of the best tips I ever got was from a Yes fan who clued me in to how good the Ozric Tentacles are.  So tell me, Yes fans, what other modern groups have caught your attention?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 17:40
Big Big Train for sure. 

Start with Underfall Yard. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 19:48
Listen to The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips. I think they have a bit of a similar air to Yes, and some of their stuff is pretty proggy, though maybe not enough to be in the archives or anything. My Dad absolutely loves Yes and he fell in love with the album when I loaned it to him just recently
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 20:19
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

One of the best tips I ever got was from a Yes fan who clued me in to how good the Ozric Tentacles are.  So tell me, Yes fans, what other modern groups have caught your attention?

Ozric Tentacles are a great band. Their early to mid 90s work being my favorite period of the band. Next to symphonic prog, I rank that whole psychedelic/space rock movement quite highly, especially since Pink Floyd, one of my favorites in this genre, are labelled with moniker.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 20:37
Mystery
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 20:50
In case you haven't gone that direction, I guess you could check Wakeman's solo albums. For me 6 Wives and Myths and Legends from King Arthur are as good as the best Yes (as well as Criminal Record)... and Journey to the Center of the Eart has it's moments too.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 21:43
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Listen to The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips. I think they have a bit of a similar air to Yes, and some of their stuff is pretty proggy, though maybe not enough to be in the archives or anything. My Dad absolutely loves Yes and he fell in love with the album when I loaned it to him just recently

I have to be the dissenting voice here, I like the Lips but that album did almost nothing for me...

I have probably listened to Yes more than any other band I have come across, although that has died down a bit in the past few years (saw them live last month though, loved it!) 

If you are looking for prog, a modern band that has kind of the positive spirit, technicality, and vocal harmonies of Yes is Moon Safari (especially their first three albums - fourth one hasn't connected with me yet). Their vocal harmonies and melodies far surpass Yes but they might be a bit saccharine for some.

Devin Townsend has nothing in common with Yes but I am listening to him now, so he gets a mention. Ozric Tentacles really has nothing in common with Yes so he's about as appropriate a recommendation as they were. Terria is a good place to start.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 23:35
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Thank you for asking!  I agree about Ozric Tentacles, a fine band!  

As far as modern symphonic bands, I'm clueless.  A chum sent me a self-made CD sampler of some neoprog music, but I couldn't stand it!  It was all very derivative in my opinion.  

I'm learning to enjoy Glass Hammer but don't know their catalog very well yet.  Their release "Perilous" has some very nice moments on it.  I especially like how they are very innovative with the vocals, using Jon Davison and Amber Fults as well as choir vocals.  

GH may change vocalists, but they aren't jerks about it!  I really like how they evolve and adapt....when Davison cut out to join Yes, they barely skipped a beat and brought in Carl Groves.  Amazing!  Susie Bogdanowicz is also very talented.

Other than that, I spend a lot of time wallowing around in the 1970's I'm afraid.  I've never found a truly satisfactory replacement for Yes.    

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 01:38
^ I keep banging on about it but The Inconsolable Secret and Culture Of Ascent are my favourite GH albums. COS features Carl Groves on lead vocals and Susie sings lead on a decent cover version of South Side Of The Sky on whihc Jon Anderson makes a guest appearance. Culture Of Ascent is just about the best Yes like album I have heard without actually copying Yes completely. The only thing out of place is the grey slightly downbeat cover artwork. Normally GH go for the Roger Dean full of colour approach but I think they wanted to emphasis the slightly more spiritual direction of the music. You can basically not go wrong with any GH album of the last 14 years excepting Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted which although I love is NOT the usual GH style featuring shorter songs some quite poppy.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 01:55
Possibly Magenta. They are a fairly modern Neo-Prog band, have a talented female vocalist in Christina Booth, and musicians approaching the calibre of Yes, and judging by the latest album 'The Twenty-Seven Club', they don't hide their influence(s).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 10:23
Wobbler and Astra are two you probably would enjoy....both have that nice retro prog sound but with their own new feel to it. Rites At Dawn by Wobbler and Black Chord by Astra are 2 of my favorite things over the last year or so.
Highly recommended.....

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 15:08
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Possibly Magenta. They are a fairly modern Neo-Prog band, have a talented female vocalist in Christina Booth, and musicians approaching the calibre of Yes, and judging by the latest album 'The Twenty-Seven Club', they don't hide their influence(s).

bit of a disappointment that album to me , I would look at Metamorphosis as a better bet. Longer tracks and according to Rob Reed the music on The Twenty Seven Club were left over from material that he was writing at the same time. I'm tempted to call them 'rejects' . Magenta desperately need some new inspiration as both Chris Fry's and Christina's solo albums have easily surpassed the last two Magenta albums imo.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 15:11
Astra are great but WobblerPinch
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 15:49
The Future Kings of England Thumbs Up

As mentioned above, I just got Glass Hammer's - Culture of Ascent, and I was pleasantly surprised.  Very good!  I have many of their albums, but not all.  Perilous was an amazing attention to detail, I found the subtle, quiet haunting moments stuck in my head more than the heavier moments.  They are quite an adaptable bunch, they just keep churning along with all the different vocalists.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 16:06
Check out "Awaken" at around 45:00 on this performance!  It is Jon Anderson performing with an Icelandic band.  I think they do a great job!  

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 16:18
Recently defunct Australian band Unitopia has really impressed me previously and again recently.  A clean, melodic sound with some added sax and flute playing for good measure.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 17:41
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

You must have had some ear wax when you listened to Wobbler.
Their newest album is the best thing Yes has done in 30 years.
Wink
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 01:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink

I have got Hinterland which is okay if you want to overdose on Mellotrons (don't they use 3??!). Is the recent one a different approach as I never really associated Yes that heavily with Mellotrons
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 18:34
Deerhoof.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 23:17

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink

I have got Hinterland which is okay if you want to overdose on Mellotrons (don't they use 3??!). Is the recent one a different approach as I never really associated Yes that heavily with Mellotrons
Afterglow and Rites At Dawn are more symphonic in nature. I have no idea how many trons they use but I really like Rites. I love the style and melody lines on it and it does remind me a lot of classic period Yes which upsets some but I don't mind that a band finds a style they like even if it is similar to one of the old classic bands.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply