This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 13:43
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

http://www.everydaymusic.com/

that was it! My oh my that place had the goods.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 13:49
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Back in the day for me it was Warehouse Records & Tapes, Peaches and Tower Records.....Tower had a huge import section.

Today it is local stores in Tacoma, Hi-Voltage Records, House of Records...In Seattle too many to name.
i went to one in Seattle a few weeks ago when I was visiting my friend. It was huge, and had everything i wanted but could never find elsewhere. Forgot the name but it was something like "Everyday Records". I had to actually quit looking around because i was in danger of buying more than i could fit in my carry on luggage home.

I miss Tower. Used to be one in Atlanta across the street from where I work. It was a tough loss. It is nice having the internet though. I can pretty much find anything if i want it enough and can afford it.

When i was stationed at Ft. Lewis,Wa (86-88) there was a chain of used record stores by the name of Golden Oldies,don't know if they still exist or not.I visited the one of them often & bought quite a few LP's while i was there.I also bought several from Tower as well.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 14:33
If I'm being anal, it seems that "vinyl record" would be the most accurate term for the thing described. "LP" specifies the length and "vinyl" specifies material. Neither completely specifies format. "Record" specifies a grouping of tracks that can be recorded onto multiple kinds of material and as such is too general. But, really, who cares?

As far as my favorite place to get records, there's only one record store in town and it's very much like how Steve described Criminal Records. When I do buy vinyl records (of which there's not too much), I get them there, if I don't borrow them from the jazz dept. at the local university. 

Edited by Polymorphia - April 27 2014 at 14:33
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 14:44
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Back in the day for me it was Warehouse Records & Tapes, Peaches and Tower Records.....Tower had a huge import section.

Today it is local stores in Tacoma, Hi-Voltage Records, House of Records...In Seattle too many to name.
i went to one in Seattle a few weeks ago when I was visiting my friend. It was huge, and had everything i wanted but could never find elsewhere. Forgot the name but it was something like "Everyday Records". I had to actually quit looking around because i was in danger of buying more than i could fit in my carry on luggage home.

I miss Tower. Used to be one in Atlanta across the street from where I work. It was a tough loss. It is nice having the internet though. I can pretty much find anything if i want it enough and can afford it.

When i was stationed at Ft. Lewis,Wa (86-88) there was a chain of used record stores by the name of Golden Oldies,don't know if they still exist or not.I visited the one of them often & bought quite a few LP's while i was there.I also bought several from Tower as well.

Yup...golden Oldies still exists in that old brick building...There are a ton of record/vinyl/LP shops in Seattle...Silver Platters and Easy Street are big. Jive Time Records in Freemont is very cool place. there are some smaller underground places too, specialize in 2-3 genres usually.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 15:12
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

If I'm being anal, it seems that "vinyl record" would be the most accurate term for the thing described. "LP" specifies the length and "vinyl" specifies material. Neither completely specifies format. "Record" specifies a grouping of tracks that can be recorded onto multiple kinds of material and as such is too general. But, really, who cares?

As far as my favorite place to get records, there's only one record store in town and it's very much like how Steve described Criminal Records. When I do buy vinyl records (of which there's not too much), I get them there, if I don't borrow them from the jazz dept. at the local university. 

To be totally anal. A 'record' is in my mind, and certainly in the teenage record buying version of me, a vinyl record and not a tape or cassette or later a CD.  A record is not short for a recording at least it became the actual thing rather than the music recorded on it.  But, really who cares? Wink
Help me I'm falling!
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 15:23
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

To be totally anal. A 'record' is in my mind, and certainly in the teenage record buying version of me, a vinyl record and not a tape or cassette or later a CD.  A record is not short for a recording at least it became the actual thing rather than the music recorded on it.  But, really who cares? Wink
Linda Perhacs?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123