Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThumbs up or down on album reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:25
It's useless talking since as we know there's no way the site's software will be developed, but I like the idea, and not only a thumbs up/down but a 'rate this review' function.

The problem with reviews is, people spend time in them, some serious and thorough reviewers may actually spend a couple of hours finding some historical information of the album, listening to the album one more time carefully, putting their ideas together, writing and then correcting and fine-tuning before finally posting their review. Then they show up in the front page for one day and they disappear to oblivion, only to be found again if someone actively checks the band or album page, or by pure extreme chance by the very few people who may use the 'random review' button. It is a very unrewarding task.

I imagine how many great reviews must be sitting somewhere in PA which I will never have the chance to read because there's no way I will ever find them, and that's sad. If they had all been rated from the first day, we could today have a function to find highly rated reviews and enjoy reading them, regardless of how long ago they were written or how obscure the album was. I can only say it would be great. They could also help defining 'the best reviewers' rather than 'the most prolific' ones, something I guess could motivate people to write good reviews rather than just flooding the site with mediocre reviews. Getting a position in the 'best reviewers list' could be very motivating and rewarding for many people.

Sure there would be unfair review ratings (the fanboy downrating a critical review of his beloved band or opposite), but in all likelyhood these would be ironed out by the many honest ratings. Eventually it could also be that the review ratings by collabs and senior members have also a higher weight than the rating by a newbie fanboy to help minimise that issue.

A related problem is the short time the reviews remain visible in the front page, which would allow only limited ratings to the reviews, only the people who happened to read them during the day or so when they showed up (or people who read them afterwards directly in the band or album's page). Time ago I already suggested having a selection of 'show reviews from date xxx' as opposed to the current max of 50 latest reviews, in order to catch up reading reviews if you have been absent for a few days.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:28
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Cooee! This site besides Credited Prog Reviewers, really needs fanboy reviews (not rating manipulators, besides I don't think it's the fans that do this, I believe it's the record labels doing, some not all).
An website like this to survive needs new unique visitors daily/monthly, an active forum with the same members alone is not sufficient and won't survive unless new people are felt welcome here thus new fans should feel most welcome even if their reviews are not necessary great.
We need to keep the excitement about music going and let others come in so that they can share that with us, get more people to join and we in turn can open up a whole new world to them too by equally suggesting other amazing bands/ music.
Hugs Hug

Er, could you clarify why you think it's alright to review the reviewer and judge them for 'nasty' or 'negative' reviewers but feel uncomfortable about a similar point of view with regard to overly positive reviews?  There is, logically, potential for dishonesty both ways.  Frankly, if I find a reviewer indiscriminately handing out maximum, I may not want to take the time to carefully read his reviews.  Same goes for the compulsive 'hater' or 'disser' by whatever name called.  Discernment is necessary both ways.  Yes, it is subjective and purely a matter of opinion and everybody has opinions all the same.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:29
And, it has nothing to do with FB or other 'likes' in social media, that's nonsense. It's only about PA and motivating and rewarding the people who dedicate time and deliver quality to the site (I agree that the database is perhaps the most important, but reviews are also a hook for many people, and in any case the way for many people to get to access the database, if they don't see a positive review in the front page of an album they do not know, it is highly unlikely that they will stump on it by chance by searching in the database).
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:36
And it could also allow many new query functionalities, say for example, select the best reviews by sub-genre so you concentrate on the sub-genres you are mostly interested, or best reviews by album year, best reviews of obscure albums (i.e. albums with less than 3 reviews) etc. A new world of searching and finding possibilities within the huge PA database.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:55

Thumbs down  

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 09:57
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

One possible comparison here would the relatively new "Thanks" button--  a perfectly fine idea at the time, but as the months have passed, we're left with some being 'Thanked' many times and some not at all.   This has, presumably, left many wonderful and helpful people 0 thanks and others with many multiple thanks.   It's a small thing but it adds up to many members wondering why their advice and forum contributions have gone unnoticed and unappreciated, all of which could've been avoided by not having such a stupid vanity feature.

Well saidClap. I haven't been thanked by anyone (not that I particularly care), and it took me a while to understand what those "points" under my avatar were about. This smacks a little bit too much of Facebook to me, which is not a good thing - seen as I deleted my account seven months ago, and have no intention whatsoever of opening a new one.

Looking at my user profile, I have, apparently, been "thanked" ten times. First I knew of it

Have I missed some kind of notification? Am I, in fact, no longer here, but in another dimension? Why will no one thank Raff on this wretched site?

These, and other such questions, are, in all honesty, too big for a mere mortal such as I to even contemplate, let alone answer
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:10
I had never noticed the 'Thank' thing, I just looked at my profile and I see I have been thanked 18 times but I don't know why or by whom, I guess that shows in the post itself? I don't care though, being thanked is nice but only if I did something for that person, I doubt that my posts have done any good to anybody so I don't know why should anybody thank me for them, I guess it's more a kind of 'like' button.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:15
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I had never noticed the 'Thank' thing, I just looked at my profile and I see I have been thanked 18 times but I don't know why or by whom, I guess that shows in the post itself? I don't care though, being thanked is nice but only if I did something for that person, I doubt that my posts have done any good to anybody so I don't know why should anybody thank me for them, I guess it's more a kind of 'like' button.

I just noticed the same .. weird.

I think we should change it to a Spank button.

and cue Kati in 5, 4, 3, 2 ......

:D

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:44
hah....  I didn't know you could check on that.  My profile is the last thing I ever look at on this site. That surprises me.  I guess I have been ninja thanked much more than I thought. oh jese everyone..... you make me feel special. Embarrassed 

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:48
^ That's how easy it is to be swayed by shallow flattery and kind words, and, conversely how simple it is to make someone feel invisible.   It's some bad juju, my friend.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ That's how easy it is to be swayed by shallow flattery and kind words, and, conversely how simple it is to make someone feel invisible.   It's some bad juju, my friend.

*smack*

yeah man.. you almost lost me there... I see what you mean... I almost felt the need to start pandering to people to gain their acceptance and become a 'thanks' collector.

Thanks for the cyber slap.. here.. have a PA's thanks and enjoy the rush as it pierces the vein and  hits the bloodstream
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 11:01
plus there is the added element of hurt feelings when you see people getting more thanks than you. This was a bad idea indeed.

My wife has more than me. AngryLOL

Hah

you all are a bunch of sexist pigs.. you hurt my feelings man..

Edited by micky - January 27 2015 at 11:02
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 12:58
Totally not! If you already know that album, you will unconsciously rate the review based on personal taste compatibility. 

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Seeing as I just learned that it is bad form to reproduce what is said in the collab zone

I've given up on this discussion much earlier, given that it's ridiculous to see how much the members of a progressive rock site, in a discussion how to improve the site, are so opposed to any form of change (an inevitable partner of progress and improvement). 

Now it seems there has been a change, and not for the better. One can even become an admin now without knowing the first two rules of being one. A shame, really. Pinch
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:03
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

take a pause for a day or two before this starts developing into a serious catfight with the wounds and victims and fallout that will be the end result of that?

Not enough cats to have a catfight though Big smile .. it's mostly bears, walruses and mooses here :)

Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:08
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

As for the thread not giving me expected answers (...)

I think it's a pity and I was really surprised at the many negative reactions to the idea. How many beautiful reviews must be buried deep in the PA database which nobody will ever be able to find back and enjoy reading? I find it such a shame.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 10:13
Big hugs and little digs, I like me some drama
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 10:35
Let's get this thread back on topic people.

Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

Just a thought after reading some album reviews I don't necessarily agree with.

It may be useful and also popular to have P.A. followers give a thumbs up or a thumbs down to a particular album review. This may help to give a more reliably consensus whether or not a review is agreed by the majority or minority.

I realize everyone has their own opinion but if a particular album has been getting mostly 4 to 5 starts and a reviewer gives 1 star this may help him see if his reasons stated in the review are compelling or not and also vice versa where a generally poor consensus suddenly gets a 5 star review which I believe is more common.

Anyway just throwing this idea out there and welcome any comments.

Cheers to all.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 10:55
No thank you.  Such an overhaul is another avenue for abuse and pissing contests.  The purpose of the database is to recommend music, not reviewers.  Furthermore, what will largely happen is that people will thumb up ratings they agree with and thumb down those they don't.

If you want to comment on the merits of an individual review, we have a thread for that already.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 14:06
^ Well spoken.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345