Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThought's on 'Homo Erraticus' - Ian Anderson?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thought's on 'Homo Erraticus' - Ian Anderson?
    Posted: May 18 2014 at 13:21
Here are mine. Let me know what you think! I'll be interviewing him this Friday too. 

http://www.examiner.com/article/ian-...homo-erraticus

Edited by ConfusedGenius - May 18 2014 at 13:22
Don't eat...your beets...RECYCLE!!

- "Earth Day" by Devin Townsend
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 13:35
I think it is an absolutely fantastic plug for the Examiner.com website, so very well done, old chap!Clap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I think it is an absolutely fantastic plug for the Examiner.com website, so very well done, old chap!Clap
Yes, I thought the same, which is why I shan't click it. God knows what viruses await on the Examiner site. Wink

As far as the album Homo Erraticus, it is definitely better than Thick as a Brick 2, but one wishes Ian Anderson would come to his senses and ask Martin Barre to return on lead guitar. This Florian Opahle fellow is technically competent, but in a Yngwie Malmsteen sense. Barre played ballsier...ummm....more Tullish, if you know what I mean.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 16:52
Listened to some of it on you tube....thought it was boring but competently played.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 17:45
Decent. pretty much in the same vain as TAAB2. Nothing that will ever be ranked terribly high in my mind, but a pleasant once a year (or so) album.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 00:46
Its a nice alternative to the usual in your face modern prog sound. I would need more time to assess how good it is but currently I would place it around 3-3.5 stars.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:20
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Yes, I thought the same, which is why I shan't click it. God knows what viruses await on the Examiner site. Wink

As far as the album Homo Erraticus, it is definitely better than Thick as a Brick 2, but one wishes Ian Anderson would come to his senses and ask Martin Barre to return on lead guitar. This Florian Opahle fellow is technically competent, but in a Yngwie Malmsteen sense. Barre played ballsier...ummm....more Tullish, if you know what I mean.
    So, is this guitarist a bit of a showboater? The "cutting heads" type? Martin Barre knew when not to play. He also knew the perfect time to play a fast lick or passage of notes. The interplay between Martin Barre and Ian Anderson on the Minstrel In The Gallery album was unbelievable and that can't be replaced. But if he truly has a Malmsteen style, I can't forsee that complimenting the Tull sound identity.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 16:46
Guitarists aside.......Ian Anderson hasn't written anything in years that appeals to me like his older material.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 17:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Guitarists aside.......Ian Anderson hasn't written anything in years that appeals to me like his older material.
  I feel the same and I can't force myself to like it. I hardly liked anything after Stormwatch...which!..I was willing to give Stormwatch a chance because the band still had a little bit of that Songs From The Wood style ..somewhere in there..while the follow up.."A" took off in a different direction. Years later...I heard Crest of A Knave and thought I was listening to Dire Straits instead of Jethro Tull...but I still gave the 20 years of Tull box set a chance and surprisingly I heard "Farm on the Freeway" and a new arrangement of "Living In the Past" recorded live at the "Tower Theatre" in Philadelphia , P.A. and that was very great. Even though Ian Anderson had lost his ability to sing fluently, the live tracks were very great. But I never went any further than that..as one day I heard "Rock Island" and ended all hopes of the band ever returning to the music and the style I loved.
Watcher of the Sky View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 01:30
About the album, is good, I expect more of it because of the "hype" created in some prog communities... but anyway, is decent, just like Man With Hat say.

The bad thing is we will have to wait a few years to Ian/Jethro Tull release something new.
Nous sommes du soleil
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 04:11
I'm just now giving it a progstreaming listen :)

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 22:35
Some good tracks. Probably should have been trimmed to 40 minute album
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
kingmahavishnu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 06:37
corrections of dogma/relativity.:-) The'new'guitarist isn't that new.been adjunct to J.T.a while!Pete Townshend:'the music Must<change!evolve.Andersons been responsible for most J.Tulls repetoire,anyway.btw.the band'sNOT over,according to Barrea&-Anderson.Imagine you are hearing this for the very first time...with zero preconceptions.Superb cd.:-)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 20:56
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Actually, I believe the problem with many albums since the introduction of the CD is that many artists feel the need to fill the CD of music, and often they end up including sub-par songs in order to do that. On the time of vinyl, they had to choose better what would get in the album.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 21:39
The album is excellent, and much better than TAAB2.  I was actually shocked by the lukewarm reviews at PA.  I gave it a 4 stars on PA.  If you enjoy Jethro Tull or Ian Anderson it is worth picking up, and you should be able to find it for $10 right now while it is a new release.  The people that listen to samples will not get the whole feel of this album.  I was skeptical until I bought it.

Edited by javajeff - May 27 2014 at 21:43
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 00:23
I found it average; the lack of Martin Barre is a fatal flaw. Florian Opahle cannot replicate Martin's guitar playing in my opinion. It just feels like another light Ian Anderson solo album; lacking all the bite and magic that made Tull so brilliant.
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 01:15
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Actually, I believe the problem with many albums since the introduction of the CD is that many artists feel the need to fill the CD of music, and often they end up including sub-par songs in order to do that. On the time of vinyl, they had to choose better what would get in the album.

BUT 'in the time of vinyl' you did also have 55 minute albums like SEBTP for instance that would have been better without a few tracks (imo)

There will always be 'sub par' songs on any album. Have a Cigar and Siberian Khatru are two examples and there are loads more.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 04:08

Correct. Dotcom, Slob and Rupi should have been trimmed too. But when it comes to Ian he never chose all the best songs from a session to release on a 40 minute LP. I tend to like the bonus tracks on the remasters more than most or even all of the album tracks. Eg. Several studio songs on disc 2 of 40 year anniversary aqualung, all studio bonus tracks on this was, stand up, benefit, warchild, too old, minstrel, songs, horses, storm, crest and catfish except for 17, aeroplane and singing all day. In a way it would have good to have cd 40 years ago. At least we would have every song they did back then

Edited by dr prog - May 28 2014 at 04:17
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 19:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

BUT 'in the time of vinyl' you did also have 55 minute albums like SEBTP for instance that would have been better without a few tracks (imo)
There will always be 'sub par' songs on any album. Have a Cigar and Siberian Khatru are two examples and there are loads more.

Yeah, that's why I said "with many" and "often". With Have a Cigar and Siberian Khatru, indeed I like those ones less than the rest of the album, but still they are good enough not to harm the albums they come for (both of which are 5 star masterpieces for me). On the other hand, SEBTP has at least "Battle of Epping Forest", which is annoying and long enough to make me drop a star from my apreciation of it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 01:18

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yeah, that's why I said "with many" and "often". With Have a Cigar and Siberian Khatru, indeed I like those ones less than the rest of the album, but still they are good enough not to harm the albums they come for (both of which are 5 star masterpieces for me). On the other hand, SEBTP has at least "Battle of Epping Forest", which is annoying and long enough to make me drop a star from my apreciation of it.

yep although perhaps 'Masterpeice' should be only be reserved for those mythical albums that are completely perfectWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>